Two Questions

1. In alot of rock songs at the end the drummer will hit his crash cymbals light and fast. (AC/DC especially) What is that called?

2, I've noticed that when i'm not useing the bass drum beater i have it resting against the bass head. Is that a bad technique? It doesn't effect me really but for some reason i feel like i shouldn't do that. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the comments and sorry if these have been posted already.

1. Roll? You roll on the edge of the cymbal, I guess.
2. Nope. That's call burying the beater. Not bad at all. Do whatever you want, oh my...

1. This effect at the end of a song is created by a fast single or double stroke rolls...

2. Some players use that technique, however, using the "rebound" has many advantages, it produce also a more natural bass drum sound. You need to experiment with the rebound, using all methods, heel-down, heel-up and heel-toe, and see for yourself which techniques suits your playing best...

Hope this helps.

BAD ADVICE ALERT #2. Don't bury the beater. If you need to know why, there are plenty of threads on this subject.
Cameo, Please don't give bad advice.

Take it easy, man, and tell that to Colaiuta and everyone else. There's nothing right or wrong in music. It's art.

2, I've noticed that when i'm not useing the bass drum beater i have it resting against the bass head. Is that a bad technique? It doesn't effect me really but for some reason i feel like i shouldn't do that. Any thoughts?

That's what I do, most of the time, when I play heel up. If you get the tone you want, don't worry.

yeahh.. don't bury the beater. If you get in the habit of it, it will inhibit your foot speed. If your default position is with the beater off of the head (way it should be), then when you want to kick, you only have one motion: forward. If you bury the beater, now you have to make two motions: back and then forward. Think of it in terms of your hands.. how fast would you be able to go if every time you hit the snare you buried the stick? (answer: not very fast)

Take it easy, man, and tell that to Colaiuta and everyone else. There's nothing right or wrong in music. It's art.

true, but ideally the OP would be given all the information at hand, both pro's and con's, so he could then make an informed decision. After all, he did ask the question and was assuming that the technique might not be smart..

Burying the beater is a perfectly good technique, but you should never have it as your only option and I believe in most genres open bass drum tone is the preferred sound.

#1 I believe you could call it a cymbal wash or roll.

#2 when you bury the beater into the drum head it prevents the head from vibrating freely. Sound comes from vibration. If you are playing fast on the bass drum, or intricate bass drum patterns, then burying the beater doesn't matter. In fact it will help you to go faster because the beater has less distance to travel (this sacrifices power).
However if you are looking for a rich tone for a fat groove, I would generally avoid burying the beater.

The other potential consequence with burying the beater is it can create issues with your body.

By keeping the pressure on the pedal, your muscles have to stay in a somewhat tense state.

This is no good and can cause anything from pain and cramping to asymmetry and lower back problems.

Be careful, I experienced these things before changing my technique.

This is a TECHNIQUE forum, and I don't care it Vinnie does it or not, everyone has holes in there playing.

Although I understand what you're trying to emphasize about feet technique, do not forget that burying the beater is indeed a legitimate technique used by millions of drummers, I, myself, use this very technique for 10 years or so before "switching" to play exclusively on rebound some 20 years ago, you just cannot generalise such approach to "only" one technique, the same rules as to the different methods to hold and work a drumstick, apply equally to the feet, it is what feel the MOST comfortable for a player that's the "right" technique. :)

Lots of talk about this on this thread:

Burying the Beater

For the record, I bury the beater almost all the time and there's nothing wrong with my pedal technique that a year of remedial lessons and 500 hours of intensive practice wouldn't fix ...

Hehehe... Well said Polly :)

Once you have developed ingrained inefficient techniques it takes forever to undo them ... or so it seems, I'm yet to undo any of 'em. If you have weak techniques and you don't have the patience to undo them, whaddya do? Accept the limitations and try to make the best of the small amount you can do.

Much easier to get lessons and get your grip and stroke sorted out from the get go. Once you have efficient grips, strokes and pedal control you can go pretty well anywhere you want with drums.

You can bury the stick on your toms as well. It gives a certain tone. If that is the tone you are after than cool. Obviously I'm not talking about the only technique for playing your toms!

Davo

Did you know you can also bury your head in sand, gives a very earthy sound to your drums.

Kidding only no offense meant to anyone, and yes burying is a good technique but I would never teach someone that as the standard whereas I would teach them rebound and then when they are ready show them the other techniques.

Also with heel-toe and swivel I find personally I get better speed power and control with fast ankle strokes (I play single pedal Bonham style btw) though the sound of heel-toe can be really cool. I've heard from some of my double bass friends that trying to learn swivel isn't a great idea, it'll come naturally if your body wants to do it.

I buried the beater for about 10 years before changing my technique. One of the main problems I had with burying the beater was that it only seemed to work on certain drumsets. The bass drum needed to be muffled with the batter head tuned quite loose. It also helped if the front head was ported. Without these factors in place, I would get extra hits and buzzes, plus some very strange, high-pitched overtones. In NY, we don't generally have the luxury of using our own drums. Bands practice at rehearsal studios featuring a house kit. Same often goes for club performances.

A well-known Broadway drummer told me that burying the beater caused him great problems in the beginning of his career because he would sometimes arrive to sub a show and find that the bass drum was wide open and tuned high. Yikes! Needless to say, he changed his technique, and he no longer buries the beater.

So this is one of the reasons I started Unburying The Beater. If nothing else, this technique will function properly on any bass drum. If you want a very dead, punchy sound, no problem. Just muffle the drum as much as you like, and the technique will still work. If you want a boomy, open sound, no problem. Just tune the drum high with no muffling, and the technique will still work.

Back