drummerworld app

Even if dedicated apps are not feasible I reckon a mobile version of the site would be a great idea. Not all mobile devices are created equal (see photo*) and having to constantly zoom in and out of text on a 4" screen can be tiresome.

Can't say I'm completely familiar with how HTML5 etc works, but if anyone can enlighten me - how much more time/effort is required to build and maintain a mobile site as well as a desktop one? Or is it a case of - once the architecture of the mobile site is in place, it can function satisfactorily on any given browser/operating system with the minimum of regular maintenance/updating?

*[Screen shot of <http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3> taken today from a phone running Android 4.1.2. This was exactly as the screen appeared when first loaded.]

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-06-19-15-38-04.png
    Screenshot_2014-06-19-15-38-04.png
    111.2 KB · Views: 162
Usually a mobile site is a separate rendering of the same information.

It's fairly simple to do but I can appreciate why Bernhard may not want to for Drummerworld. I'm not sure vBulletin 3 can be easily re-rendered, given how old the implementation is.

I tend to only browse occasionally on my phone. It renders much the same as on your phone BTC but it's not a big problem for me. I can appreciate why it might be for others but ultimately it's up to Bernhard and it's absolutely his call.

Usually a mobile site is a separate rendering of the same information [. . .] It's fairly simple to do but I can appreciate why Bernhard may not want to for Drummerworld.

I guess if there isn't the demand, then it's not the worst obstacle to overcome. I'd be interested to know how much more/less traffic a given site without a mobile version gets compared to similar ones that have them.

Do you happen to know if generic mobile sites are easier/cheaper to produce than OS-specific apps?

Back