how many is too many?

ablagoo95

ok so i have ten drums six toms two bass drums two snares two hats one ride one ride/crash three splashes and three crashes....and im just wondering how many is too many

Too many is like me, when you have more drums than mounting hardware. And that's easily fixed by buying more stuff.

To many for what?

You're asking a vague question.

Compared to Terry Bozzio's drum set, that's not many drums.

For what you need for the average bar band, that's more than you really need.

If it's just for you own enjoyment, who cares how many drums you have, as long as it makes you happy.

A man can never own too many drums. That's my belief system, anyhow.​

ok so i have ten drums six toms two bass drums two snares two hats one ride one ride/crash three splashes and three crashes....and im just wondering how many is too many

Does not compute....... Does not compute........ BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP.

I can only tell you that I have 16 and that isn't yet too many. So, it is definitely a larger number than that. I supposed that if you have so many drums that you are in danger of being crushed under the weight of them, then that might be too many.

...or it might just be the best possible way to die.

Do you USE them all? If so, then it isn't too many.

I've used close to 30 drums and 30 cymbals, with multiple percussion instruments, in one setup. If you use them well and don't mind dragging them to gigs, it's not too much. When I started gigging regularly it shrunk and shrunk to my current four piece with hats, ride, and three crashes. Depending on venue size, it's occasionally less than that.

Sounds like you like the big sets. Like DrumEatDrum said, If it's for you own personal use then that is not too many drums and cymbals at all. If you are gigging and playing in your average bar band that is a lot to haul around and set up.

But if you like playing big kits, and it sounds like you do, then that's fine. There really is no right or wrong answer or written rule. It's just personal taste and what you're willing to set up and brake down.

For me, the set I use is about at the limit for gigging. Some times space is limited and I really don't want to set up much more than 10 or 11 drums. When I play in bars most of the time, not always, I use a smaller set and eliminate 4 rack toms. When I play on a bigger stage I use my full set.

how many is too many

The one last drum that displaces your significant other from the passenger seat and forever makes taking both your girls to the club a two-car affair. That's too many.

I'm talking S.O. and drumset. I don't know about you, but mine is a beautiful lady with a bit of attitude. And so is my wife.

That's not too many. Trust me, I'm a doctor

It sounds like you have one for home, and one for the practice locale. So now you need just one more kit.

If it's just for you own enjoyment, who cares how many drums you have, as long as it makes you happy.

+1 I really don't like it when people think of someone as having "too many" drums. It's not some kind of sport, it's something one does for enjoyment (or should do at least, imo). If you have 1 drum or 100 drums, it's all good. Whatever works best for you. :)

This is really a circumstantial question. If your doing tours you will have to lug that equipment around and probably set it up yourself. But besides the convenience aspect for gigs and stuff, it just depends what sort of musical environment you're gonna be in. That type of thing won't blend in at a jazz club with jazz kats...lol

Back