2/4,6/8,12/8 examples

2/4 would simply be half a 4/4, but someone might half to fill me in here if there is anything more specific about this time sig.

6/8=3/4 is easy, you'd recognize a waltz wouldn't you?

12/8=6/4, Schism by Tool would be a good example.

6/8 "I Got You, Babe"

12/8 "Color My World" "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me"

Can't think of a 2/4 right now. Most pop is in 4/4, but I'm sure there are some out there.

In rock/pop music, "12/8" is often 12/8 compound time - i.e. 4 dotted crotchet (1/4 note) beats to the bar. This is the equivalent to 4/4 (common time) with each 1/4 note divided into 8th note triplets. The main reason anyone would prefer to call it 12/8 compound time is if it was being written down - it just saves on having to write down all the little triplet bars etc.

Either way one can easily count the bar by accenting the 1/4 notes: 1-2-3, 2-2-3, 3-2-3, 4-2-3

A good recent example of this would be The Captain by Biffy Clyro - with Ben Johnston being their rather superb drummer.

Marches tend to be in 2/4 (soldiers having two feet) so there aren't that many 2/4 sigs in pop music. Except of course the pastiche's: try Joan Lewie - Stop the Cavalry which fits the bill I think.

Back