Talk me into a Pearl Masters kit

I just bought a Reference kit. I have a DW collectors kit with VLT shells currently which i'll retire to home/practise/recording duties and the reference for gigging and rehearsals. I like the sound of the W's in they way they sing, but the bullet proof nature of the Reference and the safe and relatively easy to achieve sound makes them the perfect gigging solution. And they look absolutely fantastic in graphite :)
Guess you like the sound of Maple. :)

I just bought a Reference kit. I have a DW collectors kit with VLT shells currently which i'll retire to home/practise/recording duties and the reference for gigging and rehearsals. I like the sound of the W's in they way they sing, but the bullet proof nature of the Reference and the safe and relatively easy to achieve sound makes them the perfect gigging solution. And they look absolutely fantastic in graphite :)

Glad to see another Reference owner here. Not many of us around these parts...

I have the same config as you, in Copperfire Sparkle. Great sounding and looking drums. All of the Ref sparkle finishes are just stunning under lights. Congrats on the purchase, and enjoy them!

I've pretty loyal to Pearl over the years. Every drumkit I have ever owned has been a Pearl, Export x2, Sessions and now a Masters. I can't really fault them sound wise. I've recorded plenty of tracks with my old export and you wouldnt know it's a low-grade kit. I've also had people thinking it was a masters at gigs.

The only gripe I have with Pearl is the finnishing on the MMP snare drums. I've now owned about 6/7 of them and had to send each one back because of Laquer cracking around the lugs. But it's a snare drum that I need the sound of, I just keep coming back to them.

The only gripe I have with Pearl is the finnishing on the MMP snare drums. I've now owned about 6/7 of them and had to send each one back because of Laquer cracking around the lugs. But it's a snare drum that I need the sound of, I just keep coming back to them.

The lacquer cracking issues have been well documented on the Pearl Reference kits. Most believe it's the sudden change of temperature that stimulates it. One thing is for sure though, it doesn't look very attractive.

Dennis

I've pretty loyal to Pearl over the years. Every drumkit I have ever owned has been a Pearl, Export x2, Sessions and now a Masters. I can't really fault them sound wise. I've recorded plenty of tracks with my old export and you wouldnt know it's a low-grade kit. I've also had people thinking it was a masters at gigs.

Ya that sucks but well documented. The reference swivel lugs dont seem to like hi tension either.
I think the over application of clear and perhaps the formula is too hard. Dunno but at least they stand behind it for the most part.

Ya that sucks but well documented. The reference swivel lugs dont seem to like hi tension either.
I think the over application of clear and perhaps the formula is too hard. Dunno but at least they stand behind it for the most part.

Yes its a weired one, I'm sure Pearl are very aware of it. Its strange thats its never happened to any of my other Laquered drums,,just MMP snares with the swivel lugs. I'm now (thanks to Pearls exellent customer service) awaiting 2 MMP warranty replacement snare drums, both in wrapped finnishes because I know this problem will occur again.

Love my Pearls. They sing, they have layers of pure tone. But they do not cover every situation, so I still want my Signias for a more warm bottom sound. The Pearl's cut like a Ginsu blade but can be a bit over bearing in some situations.

2hfqvdf.jpg

16c5ahf.jpg

i have a pearl birch and it is currently my main recording kit
if you like it deep then get one

tbh if it was me i'd just get something by guru

Back