What would you consider "true innovations"

Drum racks.

Some of the old jazzers had racks but, the rack as we see it today was a hardware innovation. Took me a long time to succumb but, I have to admit it took away a lot of frustration dealing with colliding tripods.

Most innovations in drum industry history are hardware related for practical reasons. Cylinders and membranes have been around for ages but, how you carry, mount, and set up and take down seems to bring about the lion's share of innovative thought.

Drum racks.

Some of the old jazzers had racks but, the rack as we see it today was a hardware innovation. Took me a long time to succumb but, I have to admit it took away a lot of frustration dealing with colliding tripods.

Most innovations in drum industry history are hardware related for practical reasons. Cylinders and membranes have been around for ages but, how you carry, mount, and set up and take down seems to bring about the lion's share of innovative thought.

the rack is a direct descendent of the console .... and console is also where the term "consolette" came from when they shortened the bar and mounted is directly to the bass drum.
so not only is the rack system a direct descendent of the console .... but the console basically also gave birth to bass drum mounted hardware

30lkvh5.jpg

The drummers cape is up there.

Back