DW news

StaggerLee

Silver Member
Ok so 2 things i just read, firstly a press release from DW on the gretsch buyout. Thought id caps things that struck me.

Both myself, my son and everybody at drum workshop are really excited to have the opportunity to MAKE and distribute Gretsch Dums. That means we're going to be responsible for giving you that great gretsch sound. The gretsch factory is going to stay the same, theres a passionate group of people down in south caroline that make the drums now and there goign to continue to do that. Youre going t be seeing a lot of really exciting things that were going to be doing together

Secondly DW are releasing a dynasonic...
"True-Sonic"
DW+COLLECTOR+TRUE+SONIC-1.JPG

Which is almost exactly what Kraft said when they took over Cadbury's in the UK (obviously about chocolate and not drums!), and look how that turned out.

I'm still a long way from being convinced that this will be good for Gretsch.

DW did not buy Gretsch, they only acquired the US (& Canadian?) distribution from KMC. The fact that they're going to make the shells is just a bit of opportunism and an additional way to make money from the competition. As it happens, it's also the second time they're pulling business out of Keller's mouth: DW began making their own shells 15+ years ago and stopped sourcing from Keller (except 26" and larger, I believe.) Not that Keller was supplying a ton of shells to Gretsch, but I'm sure they're not happy about the change at the hands of the company that pulled out once before.

FYI re the snare, DW isn't the first to copy the old Rogers concept of a bridge/frame. Maybe 20+ years ago, Rhythm Tech introduced their Active Snare system with the same approach. They still offer it - http://shop.rhythmtech.com/c/accessories_active-snare

Bermuda

PS: GEWA :)

Sounds like Gretsch was already struggling enough to be bought out by DW.

As mentioned, DW does not own Gretsch, just certain rights and licenses.

Fred Gretsch still owns the Gretsch name.

But yes, Gretsch was on the verge of being no more when they signed on with Kaman 15 years ago.

Gretsch still owes me a commission fee for a snare drum I sold that they made my client wait 6 months for, before deciding, they just didn't feel like making the snare drum anymore and canceled the order. That is how inept Gretsch was in the late 90's. And that's just one story based on my working for 3 different Gretsch dealers.

If they hadn't started selling off rights, I fully believe the company would have gone out of business a long time ago.

Am I wrong to be concerned about the typos and grammatical errors in that statement from DW? Sorry... I couldn't help but notice them...lol.

I'm still optimistic that Gretsch will get much needed marketing and inventory management improvements. The question is what will come of the products? To me, Gretsch feels like a niche product and one that I like. How will Gretsch go into the future? Will they try to innovate? Will they try too much innovation and lose their loyalists? I'm not a Gretsch historian, but others seem to think Gretsch lost it's way some time ago.

What would you guys like to see from Gretsch?

Re: the Truesonic snare: is this like a 'full circle' thing when newer companies just reproduce what's been done before? Why do I get the feeling that if Ludwig didn't survive, someone would be re-releasing a Super-sensitive?

This is what they do in Hollywood with movies, they keep regurgitating old ideas, or take the idea and give it a 're-boot'. I know we're just talking about drums, and perhaps every idea has been tried and proven, but why not just tell us your new snare is a Dynasonic? I think the buying public would get on-board with it better because it's like you're paying homage to a great idea from a once great company. Instead, they make like it's their idea in the first place.

The situation kinda' reminds me of the Eagles with Don Felder, then the Eagles after Don Felder, where they don't even acknowledge he was ever part of the group!

Maybe I'm being harsh.

Given the fact that the name Gretsch may lose some power, your USA's may lose value. Only time will tell.

Re: the Truesonic snare: is this like a 'full circle' thing when newer companies just reproduce what's been done before? Why do I get the feeling that if Ludwig didn't survive, someone would be re-releasing a Super-sensitive?

This is what they do in Hollywood with movies, they keep regurgitating old ideas, or take the idea and give it a 're-boot'. I know we're just talking about drums, and perhaps every idea has been tried and proven, but why not just tell us your new snare is a Dynasonic? I think the buying public would get on-board with it better because it's like you're paying homage to a great idea from a once great company. Instead, they make like it's their idea in the first place.

The situation kinda' reminds me of the Eagles with Don Felder, then the Eagles after Don Felder, where they don't even acknowledge he was ever part of the group!

Maybe I'm being harsh.

Not harsh. Their ad says a new take on a classic, so it is just a rerun. But the DW crowd will fall all over themselves to buy one to go with their 1000.00 double pedals.

Not harsh. Their ad says a new take on a classic, so it is just a rerun. But the DW crowd will fall all over themselves to buy one to go with their 1000.00 double pedals.

That silly DW crowd.

Given the fact that the name Gretsch may lose some power, your USA's may lose value. Only time will tell.

USA's made bf the buy-out (or bf that of an official DW meddling date is determined) will probably increase in value.

It'll probably take insiders to let us know if/when the first batch of GRETCH drums are made with DW produced shells.

The fact that DW has stayed with the CAMCO turret lug should prove some of their loyalty to keeping the heritage aspect in tact.

I have never seen a brand that invokes so much passion, both positive and negative. I find it very interesting.

And that active snare thing was a flop at least for me, and I too have one floating around.

I do have a brass pre serial number 14x5 us per sensitive, sounds amazing

I have never seen a brand that invokes so much passion, both positive and negative. I find it very interesting.

And that active snare thing was a flop at least for me, and I too have one floating around.

I do have a brass pre serial number 14x5 us per sensitive, sounds amazing

So with the folks who don't like the active snare thing, is this not the same mechanism as the Rogers Dynasonic? I played a Dynastic in college and always thought those snares were incredible. One of the best snares I've ever played. Are we talking about the same drum?

Back