Setting up DW 9000s for fast double bass?

Well what works for one person will not work for another. too many variables are involved, technique, tension on heads, how long you've been playing and the immeasurable amount of adjustments the 9000's have. Some find a higher spring tension to be the key, others a lower spring tension and higher head tension, some like a higher pedal angle, others lower and so on..it's all personal preference

So the answer to your question is start with one adjustment and play it for a few days to see how it feels then make another.

1. Take out of box.
2. Hook pedal to bass drum hoop.
3. Practice
4. Repeat #3
5. Repeat #3

There is no trick for speed except for repetitive practice.

I had a DW9000. Very smooth pedal right out of the box. I didn't adjust it at all except for the spring tension over the years.

Does anyone have a good settings or tips on how to get these pedals to facilitate fast double bass work?
Anything is appreciated.
Thanks!

Best tip I can give you is to be patient. The trick with DW 9000's is in the adjustment. Adjust them test for a while, the adjust as needed. It took me 3 weeks to get mine just right and no the are silky smooth an very fast. A lot of people slag on them before they take the time to get them adjusted right.

1. Take out of box.
2. Hook pedal to bass drum hoop.
3. Practice
4. Repeat #3
5. Repeat #3

I had a DW9000. Very smooth pedal right out of the box. I didn't adjust it at all except for the spring tension over the years.

That's actually it in a nut shell, even with the advice of switching out the beaters, I don't think that needs to be done either as that pedal is so sensitive and fast that a even DW's beaters shouldn't affect it. Honestly it all comes down to technique and as fast as you can move your legs/feet.

To the OP: How fast exactly are you wanting to go lol?

Honestly it all comes down to technique and as fast as you can move your legs/feet.

Give these men a cigar!!

Pedals don't facilitate fast double bass work. How can they? The things don't move unless someone moves them. If you want to run faster you practice running fast, you don't buy Nike because they're faster than Adidas. Same with pedals or sticks or anything else. You've gotta put in the hours.........it really is as simple as that. Kollias could pedal faster on a Speed King than I could on a Trick or Axis. The reason for that is that he's practiced his arse off for years.....not because the pedal is magic.

As the old saying goes, "it's the Indian, not the arrow" mate.

That's not to say you don't play around with the settings in order to give you optimum comfort and playability.....but that's difficult for anyone else to answer because "feel" is relative to each player. But gear alone is not enough to miraculously triple your foot speed.

Now hit that practice room man. :)

Back