Are heavier gauge cheap sticks more durable?

Bad Tempered Clavier

Silver Member
If one were to try B-stock sticks (e.g. VF Nova, Pellwood B-line etc), would the heavier gauges necessarily be more durable - ie would a 2B be generally hardier than a 5A - or would the difference be negligible? I realise that there isn't much in it when it comes to the tip of the stick, but my sticks tend to go at the snare-rim-shot point so I wonder if a thicker stick would compensate for lower quality wood.

If one were to try B-stock sticks (e.g. VF Nova, Pellwood B-line etc), would the heavier gauges necessarily be more durable - ie would a 2B be generally hardier than a 5A - or would the difference be negligible? I realize that there isn't much in it when it comes to the tip of the stick, but my sticks tend to go at the snare-rim-shot point so I wonder if a thicker stick would compensate for lower quality wood.

I don't see that happening. Larger sticks will do other things like give a bit more volume with a little less effort and a change in tone or timbre but, IMO, you won't save money by getting a slightly bigger stick.

I waste my sticks in the same place and have just resolved that they are going to wear in that area. I replace them well before breaking for two reasons. The first is when I play cross stick (which I do a lot) I have a problem with feeling the splintery area when that starts to happen. I can use the stick but it's distracting. The second is at some point the stick starts to lose integrity towards the center of the stick and I can feel that too.

If you're trying to save money you may want to try these sticks from Aquarian. I'd venture to say you'd save money even if you are using cheaper sticks. The Aquarian's cost more but will hang in there a very long time compared to wood sticks. You have to be ready for a slight difference in feel and sound but for louder music you probably wouldn't hear much although you the feel would be different.

HTH

Jim

I would think it depends on why they are seconds . Bad wood. Warped. Incorrect lathing . A thicker stick may be stronger but still weak

I just picked up a brick of Nova 2b's. If you normally play a 2b, the Nova 2b will feel the same in your hands. The only thing I noticed is the grain of the wood. They feel great, I have yet to break one. I only can speak for my experience and Nova sticks.

Thanks for the responses. Where I live I can get 4 pairs of Pellwood B-line sticks delivered for the same price as 2 pairs of VF American Classics. I'd not considered the Aquarian sticks before - that's a good tip: however, I just wondered if 4 chunky pairs of cheap sticks might outlast 2 pairs of thinner good-quality sticks. I know that question is somewhat arbitrary, but you know, hey . . .

Question. Do you want to snare rim shot every hit? If that's a yes then there is no solution as cheap sticks will break either the same or easier. If the answer is no then adjust you snare height and or angle.

I don't insist on a snare rim-shot but I do use it a fair bit - my mounted toms have never been parallel to the ground or anything so that's not a factor. As it happens I had considerably less wear on the part of the stick which makes contact with the snare hoop when I regularly played a snare with a wooden hoop. Since I've switched back to a snare with a (triple flanged) steel hoop I've started shredding sticks again.

Not that I shred sticks at an alarming rate - it's just being as skint as everyone else is these days I am intrigued to know whether budget sticks can ever be cost effective or are typically a false economy.

Back