Michael Miley

One drummer who I have been pretty hot on in recent years, is the Rival Sons Michael Miley. Initially hearing his incredible chops as part of a commercial for the now defunct Fuel TV, I have been happily hooked ever since. As the popularity of the band has steadily increased year after year, so has Michael's presence on the music scene. Fresh off stints as the opening act for bands like the Rolling Stones, Aerosmith, Deep Purple, and Black Sabbath, fellow band mates & Michael are ready to hit the road in May 2018 with some smaller venue headlining dates. Needless to say I am pretty stoked that the band will be playing down in the State of Delaware/U.S.A. in early May, and I look forward to seeing what sort of new groovy stuff Michael & the boys come up with this year. No longer playing Mayer Bros. drums, Michael now proudly pounds and beats upon Gretsch drums & Paiste cymbals.

141.JPG

Oh Hell yes! A big fan.

My only bitch about Rival Sons is that in the last 3-4 years they have not done any touring to Western US cities. They're from Long Beach, CA after all. I've been (too) patiently waiting.

Oh Hell yes! A big fan.

My only bitch about Rival Sons is that in the last 3-4 years they have not done any touring to Western US cities. They're from Long Beach, CA after all. I've been (too) patiently waiting.

Initially, I experienced that too here in the local Philadelphia area. When I first learned of them years ago, I only caught them in surrounding states [NYC, NJ, MD] when they were near. They [the band] have since visited the City of Philadelphia several times now, albeit most recently at larger venues and as an opening act - hence looking forward to the headline gig in Delaware inside a smaller house.

But yeah as to your point, after all the success the band has had thus far, I still see fans from specific markets, begging & pleading for them to come and perform in their areas.

Caught a performance by the Rival Sons a couple of nights ago in Wilmington, Delaware. The band was exceptionally hot as predicted and, drummer Michael Miley was as impressive as ever. Throughout the entire show, MM attacked his drum kit ferociously, producing some BIG, bombastic sounds, then at specific segments keeping time with the most softest of touches being shown.

If you have never heard of MM before, check him, and the band Rival Sons out on YouTube.

_037.JPG

The new release from Rival Sons has dropped today. Feral Roots is officially out now. Can't wait to fully hear what Miley has cooking drum wise on this package -

https://youtu.be/Vx60Fsu-w9M

I sampled a couple songs on iTunes a couple weeks ago. They sounded, like they were leaning towards pop. I like all of their past albums, I've been listening to them for a while now. I'll have to check out this new one again.

I sampled a couple songs on iTunes a couple weeks ago. They sounded, like they were leaning towards pop. I like all of their past albums, I've been listening to them for a while now. I'll have to check out this new one again.

I've only listened to two tracks as of yet, since I haven't received a physical copy of the CD. Drumming wise, on those two tracks his drum kit sounds way better than the previous release - Hallow Bones, which is good. Song wise, we'll see huh, as the weaker songs/mix on the HB release seemed to hold the rest of the stronger material down.

I've only listened to two tracks as of yet, since I haven't received a physical copy of the CD. Drumming wise, on those two tracks his drum kit sounds way better than the previous release - Hallow Bones, which is good. Song wise, we'll see huh, as the weaker songs/mix on the HB release seemed to hold the rest of the stronger material down.

I just previewed the other songs, much better than I had previously thought. Much edgier, but I did hear 3 or 4 songs that seem more mellow than I'm used to hearing from them. Still good.

It's a very good album. I wasn't much of a fan of Hollow Bones but for me this is a return to form.

Some nice playing again too.

I've seen a lot of Mike's playing on YouTube. I like his playing and his sound, but I can't say I'm a big fan of Rival Sons. They are a good band to be sure, just not my thing. They take their retro sound so seriously that they sound exactly like their influences.

These guys are my current favorite. They’re all great players, and mike is my current favorite drummer. They have a wide variety of sounds. I like the sounds, and the songs. Major fan!!

Back