A phenomenom in drum recording!

My head just exploded...why did I never think of that!?!? Seriously though, that was a great idea...and he proved you CAN record drums with less than $200

It's not a surprise that headphones - or even ear buds as shown on the video - can record. They're diaphrams, just like a mic.

However, being able to record, and getting good results don't seem to go hand in hand here. Between the sounds presented, the camcorder mic yields a far better sound.

Bermuda

Between the sounds presented, the camcorder mic yields a far better sound.

Bermuda
I thought so also.

If you want to try it you can buy a 1/8 inch stereo to mono adapter to plug the ear buds in without leaving the plug half way out.

I thought so also.

If you want to try it you can buy a 1/8 inch stereo to mono adapter to plug the ear buds in without leaving the plug half way out.

That was also interesting... what laptop has a mono input?

That was also interesting... what laptop has a mono input?
You know, I have never used that input on my computer so I don't know!
I always plug in a $100 Samson usb mic into my usb port when I do cheap recording.

I think the CHEAPEST thing I've ever done with recording drums (I'm almost embarrassed to say... but we were just messing around to see if it would work)

We put a stage monitor next to the bass drum, facing into the snare, and one overhead.

It sounded horrible, but it was sure as heck fun!

Thats a good one man, LOL

Well I gave this a try, seeing as it was so simple to do and I couldn't pass it up. And you know what? I like it. Even though it is lower quality, it actually sounds good. It adds a vintage bad recorded vibe. The only problem was I couldn't reach the ear bud to the bass drum so I just have it as an overhead and that's it. Just recorded into Audacity and amplified it.

I'll upload a sample in a little bit and tell me it doesn't sound cool. If the bass drum came through better it would be perfect.

Haha im glad I could share this with you guys, I will also try this after my exams and I might hopefully start a youtube account for drum covers. I will probably start with this then move onto Drum Mics when I start accumalating more money :D

Back