Pedals Or Me?

Ellipsis

So about four months ago I bought a Pearl P902 double pedal and it worked out great for awhile. However lately I can't seem to play straight 16th notes at a slow-medium speed. I can play pretty fast just fine. I'm using heel up and to go faster I just move my feet back on the pedal board and I'd just keep my feet around the middle of pedal for anything in a moderate speed range. I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions...possibly from those who have used this pedal? Has it just worn out? Anything is appreciated.

-Brady

Unless the pedal is broken or otherwise malfunctioning, it's gotta be you I'm afraid. There is nothing wrong with the P902 as a pedal. Sure there are better models available, but if the pedal once did the job for you and it's not broken, then I'd suggest revisiting practising at slower speeds.

Even going fast feels different. When I'm trying to play at slower speeds the pedal just doesn't seem to rebound fast enough (despite the tension being all the way tight) and it just gets sloppy, weak, and too light.

*Might* be that your springs are played out. Best way to know for sure is to borrow pedals or play them at the store and attempt your troubled patterns. But 99% of the time, the thing that's played out rests between your ears.

So about four months ago I bought a Pearl P902 double pedal and it worked out great for awhile. However lately I can't seem to play straight 16th notes at a slow-medium speed. I can play pretty fast just fine. I'm using heel up and to go faster I just move my feet back on the pedal board and I'd just keep my feet around the middle of pedal for anything in a moderate speed range. I just wanted to get some other peoples opinions...possibly from those who have used this pedal? Has it just worn out? Anything is appreciated.

-Brady

Definitely worn out dude, happens all the time.

The pedals not worn out, its your settings... time readjust, your foot is making progress.

Yes, try some new springs. When you think about it, other than the bearings on the shaft, the springs are the only things that would wear out the quickest. Everything else doesn't move all that much, so if nothing's bent on the pedals, you might just need new springs.

Yes, try some new springs. When you think about it, other than the bearings on the shaft, the springs are the only things that would wear out the quickest. Everything else doesn't move all that much, so if nothing's bent on the pedals, you might just need new springs.

That would be my guess, also have you checked the tension on your batter head?

The tension on my batter was actually about the second thing I checked haha. So I went to Guitar Center today and tried some Iron Cobras out, I was able to play anything my brain could come up with. I'm beginning to think it's something with drive shaft possibly because it seems like there's a lot more play in it than there should be. Anyways I'll get it figured out, I'll probably try some new springs. Thanks for all the opinions!

So I went to Guitar Center today and tried some Iron Cobras out, I was able to play anything my brain could come up with. I'm beginning to think it's something with drive shaft possibly because it seems like there's a lot more play in it than there should be.

In this one case then, I'm happy to recant.

If you've tried different pedals and are up to speed, then perhaps there indeed is an issue with what you already have.

I just find that waaaaay too often guys are blaming the gear for their own shortcomings, hence my approach in my initial response. I just see far too many threads where people are all too willing to chop and change their gear, but won't put in the time to parctising on that gear. I have not yet seen a peice of equipment play a drummer....too often that thought process is arse about. "If I get better pedals or I get a bigger kit, then I'll play better".......it's just not true. If you put in the time to practice and learn you'll play better.

It's the Indian, not the arrow....as the old saying goes.

I'm glad that this case is an exception and that you've found a solution. I just thought it was worth clarifying my position for future referance. :)

If you've tried different pedals and are up to speed, then perhaps there indeed is an issue with what you already have.

I just find that waaaaay too often guys are blaming the gear for their own shortcomings, hence my approach in my initial response. I just see far too many threads where people are all too willing to chop and change their gear, but won't put in the time to parctising on that gear. I have not yet seen a peice of equipment play a drummer....too often that thought process is arse about. "If I get better pedals or I get a bigger kit, then I'll play better".......it's just not true. If you put in the time to practice and learn you'll play better.

I'm glad that this case is an exception and that you've found a solution. I just thought it was worth clarifying my position for future referance. :)

Wow. Would guitar players admit when they're wrong? I think not! Drummers are quite the likeable bunch, aren't they?

That's actually why I made this thread, is because I didn't want to just say "Oh my pedals are terrible I need new ones so I can play better" I had been trying to practice and improve myself back to where I had been initially. So...I was curious about what others might think.
A poor craftsman blames his tools ;-)

Back