Picked up some ATLAS mounts and other goodies.

Bonzobilly

So I went a little ATLAS crazy. Got the arch, a few scissor lifts and rods. I think this stuff is absolutely ingenious. Even if I wasn't a Ludwig lover, I'd love these things. They work great. Once you attach the stuff you can see the isolation factor actually doing its thing. It does add a bit of weight to my kick drum but its much less hardware to lug around. Simply brilliant. I think it makes my kit look all the more classy with a nod to the future. I liken what ludwig did with hardware to what the 3 big automakers did with camaro/mustang/challenger. Let me know what you guys think!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 4,940
First time I saw those things at NAMM my reaction was, "Ludwig has now created the new Erector set for drumming adults!"

Looks good. So your floor tom doesn't fall over when you hit your crashes?

Nope. Floor Tom is as solid as a rock and sounds no different than before. My only complaint, thus far, is the arch doesn't have a lift adjustment on it like the other rail mount. It's working out fine for me with my 24 inch kick. May not for others. I think this was an oversight on their part that may ultimately hurt the arch sales.

And Bo, you're right. Just like an erector set! I just stared at my kit for a while trying to look beyond the obvious as far as setting them up goes. As you can see, I went with obvious, for now, anyway.

That looks great. awesome kit!

I got an Atlas mount for my cowbell. Puts it in the perfect spot!
I was going to get the mount, and the Anchor spurs on my new bass drum, but with just one, it has to go in the corner of the case, the others would stick out way too far to fit the 26" case, and I'm not going bigger on that case. I was gonna run my ride off of them too. Oh well.

I'm getting another mount for my floor tom though. I sometimes fly a 20" crash off the 18's leg, and it will be easier, faster setting up, and more sturdy coming off of an Atlas mount than the leg.
Never had any hint of tipping doing it off the leg Bo. I've run it that way off and on for years.

The mount is awesome, and the washers were even beefier than I thought they would be too. You could run a 10x14" tom off one of these Atlas mounts easy.
Supper easy to install. There are two sizes of gaskets depending on your shell thickness, and it's bolted on with nylon ended nuts. Super secure.

Even though I can only use one on my bass drum, I think this thing is great.

This new Atlas line has come out at a perfect time; I'm about to have a somewhat old and extremely rare (according to the experts here) Ludwig kit restored, and this hardware looks perfect for it.. No more ISO-mounts, thank goodness. And I'll be able to mount my 10" tom on my kick.That scores many points right there.

If it's Tama-strong, you know what I mean, Yamaha or DW quality hardware, where you can just see how well-made and sturdy the stuff is, then absolutely I think Ludwig has amazingly pulled ahead of the competition.

Lately I've kind of been re-ignited in my interest in drums... I played from 98-07 or so, but had to stop largely due to moving out on my own... anyway, I picked up a Modern Drummer for the first time in 5 years -- mostly to see what's been advancing in the products realm -- and on the inside cover is this Ludwig Atlas stuff. The mounts and stuff replace the lugs.... SERIOUSLY?? Why did no one ever think of this before??

So it just replaces standard Classic Lugs? Most of my gear is 60's Ludwig (some Gretsch, but all 'player' gear, nothing extraordinarily collectable)... if I ever got back into it, I should seriously consider picking some of this stuff up.

I first saw that ad and I thought, 'damn, that looks genius'. But I thought 'ooop, what if it sucks though?'

How long has this stuff been out? Are people loving it all around or are there people that are vehemently against it?

So floor tom resonates well still? I love those cymbal mounts on the floors.

Attachments

• small Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
    small Facebook-Like-Button.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 2,246
I'm suddenly in a delirious state of regret on choosing full-length tube lugs for my new kit based on that second photo... damn, I'd love to not have to carry any dedicated cymbal stands. Really great idea.

I looked up a youtube video of a guy doing a review. They flashed a price of $49.99 per mount, but is that MSRP or actual price?? This idea goes kinda out the door for me if it's $50 a pop for 1 mount. Not as if the idea held any water considering I can't set up a kit anywhere, hahaha

Karl just ruined my dreams of the tom holder. My 26" case will barely fit in my truck. Can't go any larger. gggrr

I installed them on my 60's keystone 12" and 13" toms a few weeks ago and they work great.
I mounted the toms on a double tom stand with 12.7 mm L rods.
Lots of sustain and the drums don't move at all when I hit them.

I thought about the use of the mounts for BD spurs, cymbal arms, and FT legs but they seem a bit too heavy and bulky for my tastes.
They are even a bit larger and heavier than I expected for high tom mounts.

Last edited:
I think they're a great idea, and heavens knows on this new 13" 3-ply tom I really, really don't want to do anything to dampen that great shell and its sweet tone... I don't know, sticker shock? I'm trying to tell myself buying a bracket and a RIMS-type mount would cost the same as one Atlas mount, and I should just go for it. Then I'm gonna want a connector bar and cymbal boom off the kick... and I can see the dollar signs with wings.

Al, the drum will sound better on an Atlas mount than a RIMS band. Easier to deal with too IMO.

Sorry to sink it for you Bull. I was bummed about it too :-(

Al, the drum will sound better on an Atlas mount than a RIMS band. Easier to deal with too IMO.

I'm 97% of the way convinced. But I'll want a rail mount... and the cymbal holder... then floor tom legs... then I'll figure to fly cymbals off the floor tom like this guy did.... it's like my GAS and my tinkering tendencies will clap together with cataclysmic effect...

I'm 97% of the way convinced. But I'll want a rail mount... and the cymbal holder... then floor tom legs... then I'll figure to fly cymbals off the floor tom like this guy did.... it's like my GAS and my tinkering tendencies will clap together with cataclysmic effect...

I hear you loud and clear.
I did all that stuff a few years ago making parts myself with Gibraltar stuff :)

It'd be less money spent on my part if these Atlas things were out back then I can tell you! I had fun though :)

Not too keen on the Atlas FT legs myself because I use 16 and 18, and they stick out a bit, so a larger case size is needed. It's no further out than with a RIMS FT thing though--and a lot more sturdy. It might go into bags as is--but I don't own bags.

For a tom though, I think it's great. After hearing the tom with it at the shop, it's a no-brainer compared to a RIMS to me.

I had memory locks and all that with the RIMS I used, but it always seemed to be needing some kind of adjustment all the time--plus the band covering part of the drum.... If I ever use a tom off a cymbal stand again (instead of the snare stand) I will use one of the Atlas mounts for doing it.

I like the Atlas rail thing, but I still have a soft spot for the older style version. Less "stuff" I guess. Steve Maxwell's rail mount was pretty sweet when I saw it in May.

Going to a 24" case if you had all that stuff on a 22" bass drum wouldn't really be a huge deal, but going back to a 28" case for me with the 26 would be a disaster.

If it was for a kit that just stayed at home, now that's another story.....

Man, everyone gets these things before I do!

Well, I did finally get some mounts, and am changing over my RIMS on all of my rack toms. Here's a before & after:

atlasmount.jpg

Nice & clean look, and they take up a little less space than the RIMS. As with old school shell mounts, I can change heads while the drum is mounted. As predicted, they've included inserts that allow the mount to work with 3/8" and 10.5mm posts (and of course today's common 12.7mm.)

Bermuda

So, what are your thoughts Jon? I am really pleased with them. I always hated band/rims type mounts. These are a Godsend; Don't you agree?
You didn't say much in your post about your experience with them after installation.

Back