Gary Novak

Totally agree with you, JC. Talk of highly underrated. I heard him live once with Gary Willis and Scott Henderson. One of the most killer 3 piece gigs I've ever heard. EVER. He was murderous!

Gary makes an appearance on Billy Ward's "Voices in My Head DVD" under the assumed student name "Chaz". It's funny because he plays a bit and comments about how he has terrible technique. Mmm, sure :)

No thread on a guy this gifted is outrageous:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCEuaN6-lr8

His chops have a bite to them which many lack, definitely one of the world's masters. I like the way his matched grip looks too.

Should anyone afford the occasional thought on the man, place it here.

Yes, it's way out of question these guys have chops.
But...
What's the point of all this??
The music is horrible...

On the contrary I very much like Gary Novak playing with Tori Amos...

Yes, it's way out of question these guys have chops.
But...
What's the point of all this??
The music is horrible...

On the contrary I very much like Gary Novak playing with Tori Amos...

IYO.

Is there a manual somewhere prescribing non-horrible music that I might nor be aware of ?

IYO.

Is there a manual somewhere prescribing non-horrible music that I might nor be aware of ?

Yes, in my opinion, this music is horrible, not even listenable.
To me the music is not all good only because it's music.
There's music and music...
IMHO.

Yes, in my opinion, this music is horrible, not even listenable.
To me the music is not all good only because it's music.
There's music and music...
IMHO.

Thanks for the IMHO and the " to me,"

...and of course you are right. There's music and there's music. No debating that.

Thanks for the IMHO and the " to me,"

...and of course you are right. There's music and there's music. No debating that.

I was taking "IMHO" and "to me" for granted.
You know, sometimes for replying too fast I omit them... :)

Killer, his style of grooving is just unbelievable. The bassist is jawdropping as well.

If that bassist is who I think he is, then he's Jimmy Garrison's (yes, of the Classic John Coltrane Quartet) son - Matthew Garrison. Gary is tight as hell, sweet vid.

Gary Novak is one hell of a drummer!!! It's a shame he just has such a little thread!

I've recently been listening to Chick Corea's "time warp" and Allan Holdsworth's "The Sixteen Men of Tain" over and over. The guy is fantastic!!

Are there any transcriptions of his playing? Does anybody know? And videos of his playing (in good quality - except for the youtube stuff, which isn't that bad either...)?

Gary Novak is one hell of a drummer!!! It's a shame he just has such a little thread!

YES! you are correct...
Hes an absolute beast.....

Saw him with Micheal Landau over the weekend and he just killed it...

Matter of fact my instructor who is a incredible player in his own right wanted to take a few lessons with him...kinda shows the respect he has from his peers in his profession....

Back