my sonor designer

Wim Coppers

hello everybody,

i've been reading on the forum for a while now, and it's about time i participate and do my share of the writing. that's what a forum is all about isn't it?

so, my first post should be my sonor stained green designer maple light shell kit. needless to say, i absolutely love this kit to death and i'll play it until i lose my arms and legs in some weird accident.

s1.jpg

s3.jpg

s8.jpg

here are the specs:

22x22" bassdrum
14x4" snare
14x4" snare (gretch renown maple)
8x8" tom
10x8" tom
12x10" tom
14x12" floor tom
16x14" floor tom
skins: remo coated ambassador (batter skin), remo clear ambassador (resonant skin)

zildjian 10" zil-bel
zildjian 15" avedis mastersound hihat
zildjian 16" avedis medium crash
zildjian 18" avedis rock crash
zildjian 20" scinitar ride
zildjian 20" Z custom china boy

paiste 8" chime
paiste 10" alpha splash
paiste 14" alpha hihat

sabian 10" B8 splash
sabian 16" crash
sabian 16" HH dark crash
sabian 22" ride

hardware: mostly sonor, but i have some adams/pearl stands and seats as well.

iron cobra double bass drum pedal and a pearl single pedal

and all the hardcases to transport this monster!

btw: not everything is pictured, this is just a pic of my current set up. i even like to play with my sonor as a four piece kit and 1 or 2 crashes from time to time, keeps you creative!

i hope you'll like it, now go and play yours!

Wim.

Last edited:
Do you think that sonar mounting system is just a little much? I know its fully adjustable.... but I wish sonar could've found a more minimal way to mount toms...But other than that excellent kit. Brilliant cymbal choices, and the hand tune bass drum lugs are a brilliant idea on sonars part.

It's a wonderful kit Wim ! ( the tom mounting system is not my liking though It's too much obstrusive ) Look like a very confy setup...

You have great gears all around !

How tall it bring the hardcase tower ?

Keep rollin' dude & wish you warm welcome !

A+

hey you guys, thanks!

i do like the tom mounting system a lot, but i must admit, it wasn't my cup of tea when i started experimenting with it. but once you get the hang of it, that mounting system is really sweet and above all, it's more than decent! it takes me no time now to mount my toms and change their position and flexibility. and yes, thank god for those hand tune bass drum lugs.

cheerio!

Wim

very nice kit, I played a few times on delite and designers, and they sound amazing. I just dislike the tom mounting system that's a bit big and silvered for my eyes..

radeq> force 2003 are birch aren't they? just the new force 3005 that re mapple made of.

Nice setup...I would hardly change a thing!

Not so sure I like all that metal mounting stuff though...

wondering said:
very nice kit, I played a few times on delite and designers, and they sound amazing. I just dislike the tom mounting system that's a bit big and silvered for my eyes..

radeq> force 2003 are birch aren't they? just the new force 3005 that re mapple made of.

nope - the 2003 are the combination of maple and basswood, but already the 2005 are fully birch

Prachtige drum Wim, precies de manier waarop ik hem zou opstellen =). En hiermee irect ook nog een belg meer op het forum. Ons aantal neemt toe =)

When I picture my dream drums. It's a Sonor Designer Series, a seven piece. In exactly that finish. Maybe with a different cymbal selection, but I wouldn't change ANY aspect other than that. You own one of my dream kits. Willing to trade for a 5 piece Tamburo Ash? ;-)

radeq said:
nope - the 2003 are the combination of maple and basswood, but already the 2005 are fully birch

Nope... the 3003 are a combination of maple and basswood. The 2003 are a combination of birch and basswood. Work with the continiuty and you see that the 3005 are full maple whereas the 2005 are full birch. Not that it actually makes much of a difference in sound.

Ahhh ... green maple high end kits ... I have a thing for them!

question ... what kind of maple is the outer ply?

thanks for the kind words and the warm welcome everybody!

yes, i am in fact a steve smith fan, who isn't that knows how to play a drum?

i'm not sure if i want to trade it for a 5 piece Tamburo Ash Mediocrefunkybeat, i'm gonna need to think about it for a while! :)

some technical stuff:

maple light (floor) toms and snare are 9 layers (3 layers and 3 plys) in total with a 6.3 mm thickness and the bassdrum is 12 layers (4 layers and 3 plys) with 8.4 mm thickness, i can't tell you exactly which layer the outher ply is.

take the best of care everybody, keep on drumming!

Excellent kit in an even more excellent colour!!!

Wicked cymbal collection too.

Back