What is your favorite fill based on a rudiment?

I love the Tony Williams flam drag lick. It's almost passe' nowadays but it's so hip you just can't help but sometimes throw it in.

Ah, the Blushda. I love Todd Sucherman's explanation of this rudiment. It is a very aggressive rudiment.

Mine include paradiddles,single stroke rolls,double stroke rolls,the five stroke rolls and drags.

At around 6:02 in the video ,Todd plays a mini solo by only playing paradiddles,double paradiddles and inverted paradiddles -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV_hO2kZixU

Its sounds frikin amazing !!!

Awesome example of what to do with all those years of paradiddle practice.
Now that's something to look forward to. I was just about to ask the same thing the OP did - "Does anyone use "straight" rudiments in fills?"

Ah, the Blushda. I love Todd Sucherman's explanation of this rudiment. It is a very aggressive rudiment.

Todd is hilarious! He plays it very uniquely too, a lot tighter than Tony. I swear, I can hear one bar where he accents a flam and know it's him.

I really like Lrllrr. Accent on the 1st L. Use it as triplets or straight 16th/32nds. Can also add a double kick turning it into Lrllrrkk. .

A nice Bonham/Gadd-type sextuplet fill based on a ratamacue is:

KRLRLL KRLRLL KRLRLL KRLRLL

That's the bass drum, followed by three notes on the toms, and two lefts on the snare.

There are many variations, but this one is pretty easy and sounds good.

Back