puresound Custom Pro snares?

I have a set of PureSound Blasters at the moment. They really made a difference.

... $35 retail

How often do you change snare wires, especially if you think they sound good?

Will the clip stay put with heavy use/transport in and out of bags etc.? Who want's to mess with clips? Loose the clip, you loose use of the wire... until.

Like more resonance on the drums, more resonant snare wires may not be what you need. Akin to $pending on RIMS mounts, then using MOON GEL to damp down the affects.

I've tried a bunch of hi-end snare wires, more sound alright and thus more sensitivity to sympathetic buzz. I like the cheap wires myself, just enough crack without too much sensitivity/sound. CUSTOM PRO's would be good on orchestral snares.

Last edited:
They do have a more 'aged' sound, which means a bit more of a calmer, warmer sound, but it is very, very subtle. I don't want to say they are unimportant, but they just mean that little tiny bit more to be different. A little tiny bit. Basically, if you think your snare sounds terrible, it isn't going to help it. If you are aiming to make a value-added high-end snare then they are a good choice, but mostly for perceived value of cleaner looking and slightly cleaner sounding snare wires.

The cheap ones work just fine, as long as they stay soldered in the endplates, and make good contact with the snareside head. A change to your bearing edges, or to how you fasten the snare wires to your drum can be much more effective way of improving your snare sound, and those can be free to do.

I don't see the need to swap out snare wires in under a minute, unless they all simultaneously break or something. I dig the snare buzz-reducing quality, but I've learned how to minimize that on my own and still get a great snare sound. Actually, most of my snare buzz comes from my bass drum now!

I'm a fan of Puresound snares, as I have a few sets on various snares. I A/Bed them with the factory snares on each drum I have, and I liked them better on some and not as much on others. They definitely sound different than the cheaper import snares, or even the American-made factory-installed snares, but not better in every case...

The easiest way to reduce snare buzz--once you've tuned around it--is to use snare wires with fewer strands. I'm digging the 16-strand Puresounds on all my snares. Less sympathetic buzz and more tone from the drum.

Many stock snare wires are chrome-plated steel. The Puresounds and other high-end wires are unplated bronze. Hence the difference in tone.

For those who like 20-strand sets but balk at the expense of Puresounds, try the Pearl Ultrasound wires. Unplated bronze, these sound nearly identical to the Puresounds for considerably less money.

I've put Puresound Customs on three snare drums, but only the most recent Puresounds I bought included the speed release straps. I like 'em. Quickly removing the wires to tune the snare side head and not having to work around the drumstick bridge and wires is convenient.

IMG_0351.jpg

thanks for all the ideas, i might just make my own strap like that. here i come fabric store..
but i'll definitely pick up a new set of snares, my current snares are some really bad stock ones

thanks for all the ideas, i might just make my own strap like that. here i come fabric store..
but i'll definitely pick up a new set of snares, my current snares are some really bad stock ones

You want grosgrain ribbon. 5/8" width fits most snare wires. Pronounce it "grow-grain" and you'll impress the fat ladies at the store . . .

Back