A question for those living in Britain...

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
I listened to my telephone answering machine's automated voice and I was wondering do the models sold in England have an English accent ?

do the ones in america have an australian accent?

The notion of a 'Brittish' accent is quite hilarious, as frankly, it doesnt exist. What people often perceive as the token 'brittish' accent is usually a non-specific mid regional English accent. Im from Scotland and I can say my accent is nothing like the 'Brittish' one, and, like many other reigions in the UK, our local dialect is so diverse its practically considered a language of its own.

do the ones in america have an australian accent?

Um...huh?? lol

I was just wondering if the machines that are usually made in the Orient somewhere, have a different accent programmed into them depending on what country they're sold in.
I live in America but think it would be great if my answering machine sounded like David Tennant from Dr.Who or maybe even Ringo !

Cool thanks. Do they sound like one of the Beatles or like Prince Charles? Mine has a monotone no-accent kind of robotic sound.

I am in England, my VW Satnav sounds like Lara Croft, I intentionally turn the wrong way just so she talks to me...

I am in England to, My Ford Transit Satnav sounds like a dodgy Irishman, I intentionaly turn the wrong way to avoide turning up at a scrap yard.

Nah only joking My Transit doesn't have a satnav but I've got a load of led if you want it?

The notion of a 'Brittish' accent is quite hilarious, as frankly, it doesnt exist. What people often perceive as the token 'brittish' accent is usually a non-specific mid regional English accent. Im from Scotland and I can say my accent is nothing like the 'Brittish' one, and, like many other reigions in the UK, our local dialect is so diverse its practically considered a language of its own.

Ha! Scottish is barely even English! IMO it's just a bloody load of incomprehensible garble *grin* ... case in point ...

It's a braw bricht moonlit nicht the nicht. Whit's fur ye'll no go by ye! Lang may yer lum reek!

I've been friends with our keyboard player since he migrated here from Scotland 20 years ago. I still only understand 3/4s of what he says, if that. Meanwhile Welsh is another language (officially).

So yeah, to Americans there's not much difference between an English accent, Irish, Australian or even a mild Scots accent.

So it's still fair to say "British accent" based on what seems to be the usual we hear. In Oz, there are very minor differences in the various states but it's pretty uniform. The main difference is the range from neutral to very broad.

In the US they speak very differently in the deep south to those in NY ... and accents vary a fair bit even within NY - anything from Frazier to Fran (The Nanny) :)

It's a fact that in some parts of the UK you can tell whether somebody is from one side of a valley or another side of a valley based upon their accent. I can usually tell whether somebody is from a different part of my home town by how they speak and that is in no way unusual.

I have a fairly 'stereotyped' British accent but with each passing day I get a little more South London...

It's not too difficult to see why most American's impression of an English accent is a central london dialect. Most tourists only visit London. Outside of that, it's Prince Charles, Benny Hill, Rowan Atkinson & a selection of James Bond actors. Ringo's probably the most recognisable Brit drummer, but he's a Scouser, & a fairly weird sounding one at that (not that normal sounding Scousers actually exist), so he's best relegated to Thomas the Tank Engine scripts.

Whoops, did I say Ringo & Best in the same sentence :) Sorry Bernhard.

It's not too difficult to see why most American's impression of an English accent is a central london dialect. Most tourists only visit London. Outside of that, it's Prince Charles, Benny Hill, Rowan Atkinson & a selection of James Bond actors. Ringo's probably the most recognisable Brit drummer, but he's a Scouser, & a fairly weird sounding one at that (not that normal sounding Scousers actually exist), so he's best relegated to Thomas the Tank Engine scripts.

Whoops, did I say Ringo & Best in the same sentence :) Sorry Bernhard.

I'm a fan of The Beatles but I think Thomas the Tank Engine was Ringo's best work. I was pretty much brought up on it.

Back