I'm teaching myself the bass, and I need songs

ZildjianLover

Hey, guys. I've decided to pick up the bass, and teach myself how to play it as a side project. My bass arrived last night, and it's a 5-string acoustic-electric that I got for $200 off of eBay. I can already play "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but I'll need recommendations for other songs that are easy to play, but fun as well. Thank you :)

Hey, guys. I've decided to pick up the bass, and teach myself how to play it as a side project. My bass arrived last night, and it's a 5-string acoustic-electric that I got for $200 off of eBay. I can already play "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes, but I'll need recommendations for other songs that are easy to play, but fun as well. Thank you :)

Like any instrument, I recommend taking a couple lessons at first. This makes sure you don't develop bad habits early on and saves a TON of time in the long run.

If you're into stuff like 7-nation-army, any of the old Rage Against The Machine stuff can be played by most beginners. Understand you'll be playing a facsimile of the songs until you develop an ear and technique. You can also just pick an idol. I'd recommend Flea, as he plays a variety of different genres, has decent technique, and makes good musical choices.

Good luck.

I picked up the bass a couple years ago to record on my own albums .. has been an awesome experience for me, especially recording to my own drum tracks as a bass player .. learning lots!!

I would recommend Police, Beatles, U2, Adele.

Good luck

I remember the Ventures put out a "how to play bass" instructional album and book in the 60s. If you can find that, that'd be awesome.

I highly recommend finding a teacher though. It'll be money well spent and you'll get where you want to be a lot quicker with less frustration - just like playing drums, see?

I've been a living-room noodler off and on (mostly off) for many years, but over this past year, started playing a lot more and got pretty hooked - enough to invest in a loud rig and decent bass. I've figured out a few songs that had bass lines I thought were cool and basically just started answering CL ads until I found an originals rock band about a month ago.

Played my first show a couple weeks ago (after just 3 rehearsals) and have 3 more gigs over the next couple months.

I'd say just dive in. Trial by fire, and all that.

Contrary to much forum wisdom, there is a TON to be learned on YouTube. I'm not talking about the flashy whiz-bang playing stuff, but just the basics you need to know to get yourself rolling in the right direction.

You don't need songs....what you need is a band! Nothing like needing to nail a song ahead of the next rehearsal to force you to knuckle down quick smart.

The bass player in my band started playing a little over a year ago, and only started 'cause she knew I needed a bass player.

Some of the songs we've played....

Wicked Game (Chris Isaak)
Honky Tonk Women (Stones)
Love Shack (B52's)
Crazy Little Thing (Queen)
Runnin' Down A Dream (Tom Petty)
Go Your Own Way (Fleetwood Mac)

Try some incubus stuff, some lovely bass lines in their music.

You have the slap stuff from the early days and the smooth grooving of Ben Kenney over the later albums.

Back