Carmine Appice

IAN - W -

Rebel
Hello, fellow drummers.

Take a look on Carmine Appice's profile, pictures, videos and sound:
http://drummerworld.com/drummers/Carmine_Appice.html

Bernhard, Thomas and Nutha:
You have done an outstanding job, Carmine is one of my favourite and influential drummers.

Someone said: "Carmine Appice set the foundation for heavy drumming ... before Bonham,
before Ian Paice... before anyone else." - Rick Van Horn, 1999 ModernDrummer magazine.

Thanks a lot / Muchas Gracias,

Attachments

• carmineappice2.jpg
    carmineappice2.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 1,929
Last edited:
I saw him with King Kobra back in the late 80s. He had one of the biggest kits I've ever seen, much like his brother Vinny plays. They both, at the time, did a similar stage performance where they spun 360 on their thrones during solos, playing a kit that surrounded them.

King Kobra sucked ass; it's a show that I wish I could purge from my memory. But Carmine was the saving grace of all that gratuitous hair. He is a remarkable drummer.

Hello, m1ck.

Thanks for your feedback. I bet you that drum-set from Vinny Appice, must be this one or similar!

All the Best,

Attachments

• vinnieappice5.jpg
    vinnieappice5.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 4,112
Last edited:
I love all those old kit pics or Carmine and Vinny.

One of my favorite shots is the one of Carmine on the double bass Maple kit with the single 15 in the center.

He looks like he's pummeling that tom.

I always like the shot on the cover of Realistic Rock with the Octa-Plus Maple kit.

Classic pic.

Once in a while I'll pull out Carmine's "Rockers" album.

One of my faves, and a great guy....and Drum wars was hilarious along with the great drumming....Vinnie gets so pi$$ed he goes and swims in the neighbors pool haha!

iwilliams,

Yes, Vinny had a set just like that, or similar, when I saw him with Dio back in the late 80s. It was right around the same time period when I saw his brother with KK. I'm having a hard time finding pics of Carmine with a monster kit, but I seem to remember it being all around him, kinda like the one pictured above.

It was a long time ago...

Hello, fellow-drummers.

Thanks, is good to know that we have the same tastes and styles in real music and remarkable drummers.

All the Best,

Attachments

• CarmineAppicemapex.jpg
    CarmineAppicemapex.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,516
Last edited:
Hi!!

Seems like this is the place for Carmine Appices fans, so Id like to ask a question about his methods.

I would like to purchase Realistic Rock, and i was making my move towards the DVD boxed set, with 2 DVDs.

When i was popping my order, i found about the Realistic Rock Megapack, that has 2 CDs and 01 DVD.

Anyone here have this Megapack option?

I curious about the missing 2nd DVD! Doesnt it have any real educational material that i will miss???

I wonder if the DVD of the Megapack is one of the DVDs of the boxed set or if they are completely different materials.

Anyone knows if the 2nd DVD of the DVD only version is just some marketing, shows, gigs and info material on Carmines? Actually no educational material?

THANKS!

I just came back from a drum contest & Show in N.J.
(first was a drum contest with local drummers & Carmine was a Judge.)
After the winner was choosen the show started :^)

This is a new project Carmine Appice is touring with
it's like a cross between Stomp & Blue Man Group..
It's called "Carmine Appice's Slamm !
Very Entertaining & Fun... if there ever in your area
it's worth checking them out! I had a great time.

Best,
Chazz

Carmine Appice is a Rock Legend. He has been an influence to countless drummers for generations. The guy is 60 something and he is playing better than ever. Long live the King of Rock Drumming!!!

I have enjoyed Carmine's work for decades. From his pioneering power and double kick work with vanilla fudge on to his modern stuff. I remember a clinic he did on linear drumming long before the mainstream paid attention to such concepts. I saw his Rod Stewart era kit, which resides at Donn Bennetts drum studio in Bellvue, Washington.

CA.jpg

Hi!!

Seems like this is the place for Carmine Appices fans, so Id like to ask a question about his methods.

I would like to purchase Realistic Rock, and i was making my move towards the DVD boxed set, with 2 DVDs.

When i was popping my order, i found about the Realistic Rock Megapack, that has 2 CDs and 01 DVD.

Anyone here have this Megapack option?

I have, and occasionally use, 'Realistic Rock'. And... get this... there were no cd's when I bought it, instead inside the book were three plastic disks. I've had the book for many years and only recently dug it out of the library and put the the records on my record player (yes, they still make em'). Anyway, the disks were informative as they played specific exercises written in the book. The disks would be especially helpful for those with reading challenges... ahem.
Opinion... it's a good book. I found some great routines for gaining foot independence. I occasionally take lessons and my instructor spent over an hour with Carmin with only a couple of other 'students' last summer. One of the exercises Carmin demonstrated was to play the left foot on the quarter notes, the right on the one and three, while the hands dealt a slow paradiddle (60 bpm?) which doubled up and reverted to the original bpm every four bars. The feet maintained the original bpm throughout. Simple maybe, but for me was at first a challenge. I've noticed my left foot independence has improved, which seems to add power to my playing. Just thought I'd share that.

Love the clear maple Luddies, no doubt "late" 70's, 6 ply shells (no reinforcement rings). Vanilla Fudge got back together, did an album in 2001, and I got to see them play in 2002(?), at an after NAMM show concert, Carmine on Mapex drums. Yeah, Carmine always brought plenty to the table. Loved his drumming on the first Blue Murder album, also.

That clear maple kit Rules! I think Carmine is a tremendous player that gets very little respect. He is constantly ragged on about being an endorsment whore. But the bottom line is he helped create much of the Heavy Drumming style which I love and most everyone takes for granted. I know he was a big influence on many of my idols like Paice ,Bonham ,Tommy Aldridge etc .P.S. his tom sound on Blue Murders "Valley Of The Kings" is pure 80's overkill I love it!

Hello,

This is an interesting document:

"Carmine Appice set the foundation for heavy drumming ... before Bonham,
before Ian Paice... before anyone else." - Rick Van Horn, 1999 Modern
Drummer magazine.

Best Regards,

Carmine...huge influence..saw the Vanilla Fudge on Sullivan and that was it.Stick twirling ,cymbal rolls..and loads of style and attitude.Just FTI...his maple kit was 3 ply Keystone Ludwigs
Steve B

Ian I saw Carmine play with The Michael Schenker Group in the summer of 2010 and He is still at the top of his game. I as you do hold Carmine in high reguard as to his importance in the style of heavy drumming He is a true pioneer.

I remember as a kid working through realistic rock in the basement on a second hand raven drumkit with a garbage can lid like cymbal.

The one thing that I hope to determine here which is still a mystery to me after all this time is this:

What exactly is the correct way to pronounce his last name?

Back