Neil Peart

i think that's a very old debate ronin. neil is ONE OF the most influencial rock drummers... a whole generation or maybe a few generations of drummers have become drummers because of him. same with ringo and bonzo and probably joey and travis.

The most influential rock drummer? No way , not even close in fact.

you're entitled to your opinion of course but i think the 'not even close' bit is a bridge too far.

j

ps: i cannot fussion as it would infringe copyright. i suggest buying the DVD. you will not be disappointed.

The most influential rock drummer? No way , not even close in fact.

Yes he is a premier prog drummer. What is neil peart? He is neil peart of course! ....the guy who plays in rush.

Who is ringo starr? Hmm big part of the band that changed the quintessential rock and roll sound into guitar , bass and drum format. Probably inspired countless people to play the drums, and of course - no one swings quarters like Ringo!

Well, Ronin...I think A LOT more fans of "the drum" have air-drummed to Neil Peart and Rush than to the Beatles!! WITHOUT A DOUBT!!

I agree that Ringo has been a huge influence to "music" fans, but to "drumming" fans...Neil Peart is MUCH MORE influential in that department!! NOT EVEN CLOSE!!

He's a DRUM GOD, Ronin!

Ringo has NOT reached that plateau, and I couldn't agree more...Play On! ;-)

Great drummer. The godfather of prog rock, in one of the best bands of the style: RUSH.
This is from where Mike Portnoy stole everything hahaha!!!

Has anyone heard the Main Monkey Business drums only matsered recording that is Neils Web site yet? It is pretty awesome, some nice technique on an intricate beat, very cool of him to put it up, It's a long recording. Be great if Drummerworld could put up a snipet of that!

Cant wait for Saturday...I get to see the man in action! My first Rush show!

Has anyone heard the Main Monkey Business drums only matsered recording that is Neils Web site yet? It is pretty awesome, some nice technique on an intricate beat, very cool of him to put it up, It's a long recording. Be great if Drummerworld could put up a snipet of that!

Oh...THANKS, palmeris!! Gonna go there, right after this, and check it out! ;-)

And...YES! It would be great if DW does that! :)

How 'bout it, Bernard? ;-)

Thanks again, palmeris...Play On! ;-)

Cant wait for Saturday...I get to see the man in action! My first Rush show!

Excellent, franklinj!! You WON'T be dissapointed!!

I've seen him 22 times since 1982!! It'll be 23 on 23(a week from this Saturday)...Play On!

;-)

WOW what a show! From the front row!!!!!! So good. A complete new solo. I am still buzzing MAN that was SOOOOOOO good. The new kit looks and sounds killer. I will post a picture once I get it out of my phone

He had a snare problem about a half hour into the show. Gump had it changed out in 30 seconds, amazing. He also had some type of wierd looking prototype cymbal, looks like it has jingels rivited to it.

About 6 new tunes played. 3 hour show with a 20 minute break between sets. Man my head still hurts, but it's a happy hurt.

Oh did I say WOW!!!!!!!! my 14th tour and the first from the front row. I

Wow, palmeris!! Great review!! FRONT ROW?? Excellent!!

Hope to give a review next week...Going to the Bristow, Va. show on the 23rd! ;-)

Can't wait...Play On! ;-)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell does he tune his higher toms to get that sound? I cant even really explain the sound, it just sounds really, really good. The toms im talking about are the higher ones to the left of the traditional "main" rack tom.

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how the hell does he tune his higher toms to get that sound? I cant even really explain the sound, it just sounds really, really good. The toms im talking about are the higher ones to the left of the traditional "main" rack tom.

They are cranked EXTREMELY tight. His tech says in general, the bottom heads on his toms are a bit looser than the top, but I've gotten my smaller toms to sound just like his by tuning very high with top and bottom heads matched in pitch. I mean so tight I almost can't turn the key anymore, like a marching snare...

They are cranked EXTREMELY tight. His tech says in general, the bottom heads on his toms are a bit looser than the top, but I've gotten my smaller toms to sound just like his by tuning very high with top and bottom heads matched in pitch. I mean so tight I almost can't turn the key anymore, like a marching snare...

Kinda weird, but kinda cool...ill def have to check that out. Thanks.

Franklinj

So what are your thoughts on your first Rush show and watching the man, the machine, the drum god himself?

Neil Peart is incredible for weird time signatures and off beat drumming :D!!

Can't wait to see him live :D

Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :p...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy

Harley

I agree completely. His solo's are unimpressive and painful to watch. But he is an amazing drummer. Forget the solos; go listen to La Villa Strangiato off of Hemispheres if you want to hear truly superb drumming.

Hello everyone...thought I might bring up a thread that hasn't had a post for a while. I actually came on here quite a lot a while back but got busy so when I came back I couldn't get into my account...anyway. I come because something has been bothering me.

I have seen many a video of Peart. I wasn't blown away or anything, but I didn't mind him. But a visit to the good old YouTube and another watch of his solos and such, and I quickly became confused. Looking at the amount of people proclaiming that drums were invented for Peart, and that without a doubt he is the greatest drummer ever to live, I thought I was taking crazy pills. I was ALMOST drawn to start an argument and become like one of those losers who sit on YouTube and drone on and on about why Derek Roddy is so much better than Joey Jordison (they're both tasteless in my opinion but that's beside the point).

Every single solo I've seen of Peart immediately reminds me of solo's I would come up with when I'd been playing for 6 months to a year. Four on the floor, semiquavers on the snare with some triplets, and some tom fills. I'm not here to say I could school Peart in a battle or that he's crap or anything like that, I've just honestly been baffled by why people continue to be so amazed by stuff that many beginners come up with for their first solo. When I was in a Mike Mangini clinic he actually said that the whole four on the floor thing is a beginnerish thing (in the sense that it's what drummers start out with, not that it's bad or anything).

If I was playing stuff so similar to Peart after such a short while of playing and only being able to play a Go-Go's greatest hits album, how is he so good?

After roughly 8 minutes of soloing I saw a guy who looked uncomfortable and frankly unhappy (beside the point but it doesn't hurt to show some emotion...) and who could come up with nothing but basically what would usually be a rock fill played over and over again. It bored me to tears, not because it was simple (some of the best sounding licks I've heard are simple) but because it just seemed so repetitive and uncreative.

There's hardly any dynamic range in his soloing. For the best drummer in the world he sure doesn't show any contrast. I saw an old post on here saying how he leaves heaps of space and such in his solos...I could here no space except the space between his semiquavers and the time it took him to jump around to his electronic drum kit. So often in drumming less is more...

Which leads me to the next thing. He has such a big kit, but I just see him use it so uncreatively, it's honestly uninspiring. There are so many drummers out there who create just this amazing contrast and inventive grooves and patterns on a 4-piece, meanwhile Peart continues his long semiquaver tom roll. Bill Stewart, Brian Blade, JoJo Mayer (maybe a 5-piece but close enough), it goes on. While I'm at it I might offend any others who weren't already offended :p...I haven't been so bored or confused since I saw Mike Portnoy play his monster kit.

I've tried to take the high road here folks because I've thought long and hard and I've come up with nothing except that the people who like him can only appreciate big drum kits and loud playing. I know this can't be true so I MUST be missing something. I just don't get it.

Enlighten me!

Harley

You defnitely have a point here. I remember seeing a couple jazz pieces he was playing with a big band, and I was very unimpressed. The same characteristic fills of his playing, and his swing rythym was pretty uncreative (I don't even play jazz that much and I could tell it was bad. It was just boring).

I just hope people don't start flaming you for disregarding his glory or something...

crumbdrums is right, too, though, I love the drumming on that track, just awesome.

Back