Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare with flanged hoops?

Mike Stand

Silver Member
I have a 14"x6" Yamaha Maple Custom Absolute snare with die cast hoops. The model used in almost all the Mycymbal.com videos.

I bought it despite having a preference for slightly shallower snares. It's such a great snare that I thought I'd chance it with half an inch more depth.

However, compared to my other shallower snare I do find that it lacks that crisp "pop".
The attack is a bit too dark, fat and "centred/controlled" for my taste.

I really don't want to sell this fine drum, especially since I got it in a rare caramel sparkle finish. Also, I believe this range has been discontinued. Take a look at the photo and I think you'll understand.

So, I'm thinking, perhaps it's not the extra depth but the die cast hoops that are determining the character. If I replace the die cast hoops with some good quality flanged hoops will I get a les concentrated, crisper and more "airy" sound.

Anyone have experience with putting flanged hoops on this snare?

Attachments

• IMG_1091 (1024x768).jpg
    IMG_1091 (1024x768).jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 6,125
Triple flanged hoops may allow that snare to breathe a bit more... I have them on my absolutes and my kit is very "airy" and full... You may try tightening you're resonant head... Loosen the snares up a bit and try different tunings with your batter head. Mess around with the tuning and avoid using any dampening like moongels or rings. Keep us posted... I don't think you need to buy a different snare to get the sound you're looking for, just might take some tweeking. Good luck!

OK, I've found a seller that has Yamaha Dyna Hoops in stock. I think these might be the solution. Lighter than die cast but more solid than basic 1,6mm flanged hoops

Can anyone tell me if they're significantly lighter than the Yamaha die cast hoops?

Last edited:
Hi Mike, beautiful drum you have there.
I doubt very much your problem is with those hoops.

Perhaps you are unaware that those are aluminum die cast, a very unique hoop to Yamaha and one of the best things about the higher end Absolute lines. It is probably HALF the weight of a normal die cast...and certainly no heavier than a dyna hoop...in fact it might even be lighter, IDK.
Still, I like to experiment too...so try something else, why not. If you wanted to sell those hoops, they would go in a flash on eBay. $50 each is not unheard of.

But as others have suggested, I would try cranking up the resonant head first...maybe try some Puresound snares.

Good luck..

The dyna hoops won't be lighter, since the die-cast on your drum are aluminum....just an FYI...the earlier absolute snares (pre-2004 era) came with dyna-hoops standard...the toms in the series did as well

I have to agree with the others. I don't think dyna hoops will change the sound very much. They are fairly rigid, as triple flanged hoops go. You say that you are looking for crisper and more airy. I don't know, in my opinion die casts usually make a drum more crisp, not less.

If you want a change, you may want to look for 1.6mm hoops like they used on the recording custom snares. They might make the drum a bit more airy, but they won't make the drum more crisp. I also think you should play with head selection and tuning. Even your snare tension could be effecting your results; if its too tight or too loose you are going to lose crispness.

The dyna hoops won't be lighter, since the die-cast on your drum are aluminum....just an FYI...the earlier absolute snares (pre-2004 era) came with dyna-hoops standard...the toms in the series did as well

It sounds like this is the drum that you were looking for ;)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57822&stc=1&d=1375665590

I also have a 14x7 MCA snare with die cast hoops. I really only notice a difference when I cross-stick or rimshot the drum. I think if you experiment with tuning and different heads you will find the sound you're after.

The finish on your snare is beautiful by the way.

The snare bed on the Yamaha is a bit deeper than I like. I suggest you crank up the snare side head almost to the point of choking.

I actually preferred heavier die cast hoops (I think they were zinc) on my Maple Absolute snare which came with a triple flanged hoop (bought it in '98).

It sounds like this is the drum that you were looking for ;)
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=57822&stc=1&d=1375665590

The finish on your snare is beautiful by the way.

Yes indeed, that's the snare I should have bought. MCA 14"x5,5" with flanged hoops.
That version had been discontinued when I was looking for a new snare though.
There's a second hand one going for a good price here in France, but I don't fancy selling my sparkle model at a loss just to get a similar, shallower snare. I prefer to try and make my current model work the way I want.

Plus, the sparkle model matches the rest of my kit quite well. It was second hand as well but in mint condition.

Unfortunately the Dyna Hoops weren't in stock after all. In fact, nobody in Europe seems to have these in stock so it would have to be a custom order with the inevitable never ending wait and no certainty that they'd even arrive. Strange, as it looks like Yamaha still use them on some metal snares. I could just get some Gibraltar hoops which apparently are the same quality.

I do think a switch to flanged would make a slight difference, regardless of weight. Check out this Gatzen video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UfQPlHS4d4

Still hunting for those Dyna Hoops, there's a mega store in Germany, my last hope...

Unfortunately the Dyna Hoops weren't in stock after all. In fact, nobody in Europe seems to have these in stock so it would have to be a custom order with the inevitable never ending wait and no certainty that they'd even arrive.

I may have some I can sell you. I will have to check. Are you interested?

I have the matching kit to that snare shared earlier in the Vintage Natural... I know the guy well who actually as a snare just like it here in Canada... i'm sure he'd ship it out your way if you were interested... I'm pretty sure its a 14 x 5.5... Let me know! The matching Maple Custom Absolute in that finish sounds amazing and I love the dyna hoops on the kit...

I have the matching kit to that snare shared earlier in the Vintage Natural... I know the guy well who actually as a snare just like it here in Canada... i'm sure he'd ship it out your way if you were interested... I'm pretty sure its a 14 x 5.5... Let me know! The matching Maple Custom Absolute in that finish sounds amazing and I love the dyna hoops on the kit...

Do you have a link to a picture of that kit? It's the finish I wish I could've had.

Last edited:
Love your snare. I play a Maple Absolute 14x5.5 with Dyna hoops and love it.

I can't believe that the additional 1" depth is as limiting of a factor as it sounds. These drums are high-functioning and well made. It's tuning, head choices, maybe snare wires, just general tweaking.

By the way, the molecular structure of aluminum is naturally dampening (as opposed to steel). I believe this would contribute a particular dryness, but would not limit your ability to get what you need from that drum.

Also, I'm a big believer in having somebody else play your drum while you stand thirty feet away so that you can hear what most others hear when you play. (Close micing/FOH reinforced delivery and studio applications are a bit different though).

I may have some I can sell you. I will have to check. Are you interested?

Sorry for the late reply, I was away on work for almost a week.

I'm still trying to hunt down those Dyna Hoops here in Europe. I think the cost of postage US - France would double or even triple the cost of the hoops but thanks for your offer.
Of course if you're willing to sell them for 5 bucks I might be interested... ;-)

Back