10" / 13" / 16" Tom sizes - your thoughts???

I have been trying out the 10/13/16 tom combination recently and am loving it!

I have Mapex Orions in 10x7, 13x9, 16x13FT.

I wonder why we don't see more examples of this set up?

Any thoughts, anyone?

I understand the history of the 12/13/16 set-up and know that drummers like Steve Gadd were among the first to introduce a 10" tom into the kit.

I know of two eminent drummers who regularly use this set-up; David Garibaldi plus a Scandanavian whose name I forget!!....

Am I missing something fundamental?

It's just the way shell packs are sold these days. You have the fusion kit and the rock kit and not much in between unless you special order.

As for small toms? No, Gadd wasn't he who introduced them. They began when ships returned from China and pit drummers snatched them up. Many years ago now.

I'm sure you're right about the pit drummers being the first.

I think I read that Gadd was one of the first "Studio" guys to incorporate it into the "Rock" kit.

The 12/13 tom pairing seems so illogical to me, I can't understand why anyone makes or buys it still.

I use a 10/12/16 setup and I wish I had gone 10/13/16. Next kit I will.

I have odd sizes at the moment. Because I was playing loads of funky type music over the past couple of years, I went for smaller size toms, 8 10 and 14". 20" kick.

I also chose these sizes because at any time I may want to add bongos, congas or timbales or a repinique and wanted to fit them easily. Plus stages are small nowadays.

When I see some monster kits I wonder just where they are played.

I have no set kit I need to use though. If it's a surdo, snare and tamborim, I have it covered! :)

IMG00041-20100311-1551.jpg

I have bought several Orion kits and chopped and changed and re-sold to get a useful range of sizes including 8x7, 12x8, 14x12, 14x14, as well as the 10/13/16 toms which are the point of this discussion.

My bass drums are 18x16 and 20x14.

I think I've got most options covered !

Nice photo, by the way, of a splendid looking kit

Thanks mate. You should check out my gear thread. It is not all up there but quite a bit of it is.

I'm also debating on the same sizes for my next kit. It should sound very musical. Another drummer that uses those sizes is Anton Fig.

Dennis

I used the 10 - 13 - 16 configuration in a 1 up - 2 down setup for a good period of time. I stll think that if I were ahead of a drum company I would stop building & cease marketing the standard rock config of 12 - 13 - 16 and promote this one instead which to me make more sense...

MY 10" up & 13" - 16" down setup

birdview.jpg

Stewart Copeland used that config on this last reunion tour (also with an 18"). Phil Selway from Radiohead has used this setup too. I think it makes perfect sense TBH.

My own kit goes back and forth between 12/15/18 and 13/15/18 so I get similar spreads, just on the larger size.

Stewart Copeland used that config on this last reunion tour (also with an 18"). Phil Selway from Radiohead has used this setup too. I think it makes perfect sense TBH.

My own kit goes back and forth between 12/15/18 and 13/15/18 so I get similar spreads, just on the larger size.

12/15/18 must sound great along a large bass drum in a Loud & Heavy Rock band.

.......and know that drummers like Steve Gadd were among the first to introduce a 10" tom into the kit.

i seem to recall Hal Blaine's Ludwig Octoplus kit having an 8" and 10" tom way before anyone knew who steve gadd was.

i seem to recall Hal Blaine's Ludwig Octoplus kit having an 8" and 10" tom way before anyone knew who steve gadd was.

Yep.

I have read Hal's book. Great read!

True. Hal was running 6,8,10,12,13,14,15 on his Blaemire "Monster Kit". Don't confuse this with Ludwig's Octoplus kit, which they stole Hal's idea, and never gave him credit.

Edit: Maybe stole isn't the right word, but they should have given Hal a nod.

BTW, when I run a 2 up / 1 down, I love using 10,13,16. Works great!

I have a Tama Rockstar in this configuration and the longer I drum the more it drives me crazy. I think that there isnt enough range in between the 12-13 and then too much from the 13-16. Plus, for some reason I have never been able to consistently get the 13 in tune. But i am about to pick up a 14x14 floor tom to replace the 13 which I am excited about!

Any more names of pro drummers who use 10 / 13 / 16 ????

I'm most interested in JUST those sizes above them appearing as part of a monster kit -

Thanks for all the informative replies so far.

G

do a search and you'll find me advocating this configuration from way back! :)

It just makes sense, ...3" intervals are great, even if one drum isn't dead-on perfectly tuned, they still sound great, ..you can't miss!!

Also, ...1 up 2 down rock kit w/ a 12 15 18 would be awesome, ....plop in a nice fat 24 kick .....hooochie momma!! :)

I've posted before, but here are some of my pics of my Ludwig restore, 10-13-16 ...

Attachments

• fullkit2.JPG
    fullkit2.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 2,285
  • fullkit4.JPG
    fullkit4.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 2,357
  • fullkit1.JPG
    fullkit1.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 2,355
Back