Trick Drums & Jazz?

RobertM

Platinum Member
Many of you know about Trick Drums--the aluminum alloy shells, 1/8" thin, etc. I just discovered that jazz player and instructor Dom Moio (U of Arizona) endorses Trick and uses a Trick kit for jazz. Interesting choice...

Would any jazz players here use a Trick kit? I've always heard that Trick drum kits are rather ragingly loud, so I was intrigued by Moio's choice.

I think drums are drums. You could say acrylic drums are also loud, but alot of people have used Ludwig Vistalites for alot of different things. I played a Trick snare and didn't think it was louder than any other snare drums I've played. I would contend that maybe a set of them would sound a little more controlled because it's not made out of a random material like wood. What I really like about the Trick drums is their impervious-ness to any kind of weather - even water! Talk about a kit that will literally stand the test of time.... And of course they have that great over-priced pedal.

Many of you know about Trick Drums--the aluminum alloy shells, 1/8" thin, etc. I just discovered that jazz player and instructor Dom Moio (U of Arizona) endorses Trick and uses a Trick kit for jazz. Interesting choice...

Would any jazz players here use a Trick kit? I've always heard that Trick drum kits are rather ragingly loud, so I was intrigued by Moio's choice.

Dom Moio and the owner of Trick Drums are long time friends, and I've met and discussed the drums with both cats. I've also played quite a few Trick drum kits and snare drums.

They aren't louder than other drums. They are 'clearer' in sound, and more efficient in resonating. This makes them sound bigger than the drums are. An 18" Trick kick can sound more like a 22" wood kick, but they have a very large tuning range so you can do more with a smaller drum.

Dom Moio has made a great choice, as would be expected from such a great player and one of the best drum instructors in the world!

Cheers!

Jeff Hamilton uses Remo Acousticon shells, which aren't known for being "jazz" drums, but he seems to do just fine with them.

It's the indian, not the arrow.

Jeff Hamilton uses Remo Acousticon shells, which aren't known for being "jazz" drums, but he seems to do just fine with them.

It's the indian, not the arrow.

Robert M.. I think you are just hanging around the wrong crowd who has convinced you that you HAVE to have a certain drum in order to play jazz.. That's just silly.

I recently got the privilege of purchasing a full 6 piece Trick drum kit and I must say that they sound absolutely stellar; I honestly do not see any application that they couldn't be applied too if the right heads are used and tuned correctly. The sound, although already previously stated is a lot cleaner. It's easier for me to pull out the dynamics of the drums and since they do sound cleaner they resonate better. A more resonant drum will sound louder and be more effective at cutting through other noises. I honestly don't notice a volume difference though.

I had a Trick kit and think It will work for any kind of music. However, it was a significantly quieter than my Yamaha Maple Custom and I thought the sound was much less expressive.

Trick 5 x 14 snare used from time to time with maple Tama's. I would describe the sound as woody and warm but a little clinical. Articulate for sure, it's not very forgiving. Gorgeous fit and finish with a t/o to die for. Thinking add ons after reading this thread.

I have a friend that works at a Five Star shop that gigs with Trick drums. He just mentioned a few weeks ago that he is abandoning the Tricks for a set of DW drums. I don't know what series of DW, but I do know he is making the switch.

Dennis

Back