Let's see your Gretsch kits (saved the best for last!)

Just a teaser. I put a deposit on a new Maple shell pack yesterday. I pick them up on the 28th of this month. I got this shell pack at a price I could not pass up. Happy to be owning Gretsch again!

Full kit pix in a couple of weeks.

Congrats on buying a very nice kit!!
Btw, how many kits do you have???????????

Bram

Congrats on buying a very nice kit!!
Btw, how many kits do you have???????????

Bram

Thanks Bram..you already know how great these kits are.
I currently have 2 kits. Subject to change without notice.

Great job Kona.

Is that a muffler knob or a place to store a drum key on the side of the snare?

Thanks,
Sorry - I was out of town for a week - Yes, it's a drum-key holder and I do like the feature.

I remember the 'key-holder' being on the first Gretsch kit I bought new in 1969.. Sold that kit in 76. The good thing that came out of selling it was that I probabley would never have bought my 58 Gretsch kit last year if I never sold them. And........as far as I'm concerned the 58 3ply drums and finish are much nicer than the 69 kit.

Last edited:
That is a tuning key and I am not sure why Gretsch ever stopped using the feature.
I still use the key holder on my classic Gretsch snare. I love it! So handy! Of course, The idea was so good that they had to stop putting the key holder on the snares. That's "Progress" for ya!

I wish that I was at that meeting of corporate rocket scientist! LOL!

Thanks,
Sorry - I was out of town for a week - Yes, it's a drum-key holder and I do like the feature.

I remember the 'key-holder' being on the first Gretsch kit I bought new in 1969.. Sold that kit in 76. The good thing that came out of selling it was that I probabley would never have bought my 58 Gretsch kit last year if I never sold them. And........as far as I'm concerned the 58 3ply drums and finish are much nicer than the 69 kit.

That's pretty snazzy, and certainly makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Your 1958 kit is incredible!

Gorgeous, and aren't you glad they use the mini lugs instead of those 8 pound anchors that DW uses on their drums. Pure class.

This is my little Catty with some modifications (reso floor tom hoop is standard because one of the die-casts was refunded; now the shop has sent me a perfect one)

Wow! I love the mods on your Catalina bro!! The rail consolette and I noted that you are not using the riser to lift your kick drum...? How is that working for you? And the diecast hoops are a great touch as well! I would love to hear this kit!

Wow! I love the mods on your Catalina bro!! The rail consolette and I noted that you are not using the riser to lift your kick drum...? How is that working for you? And the diecast hoops are a great touch as well! I would love to hear this kit!

Well, I use a slightly shorter beater and works right without raiser, wich is now attached to a tambourine close to hi-hat pedal, perfect for that Motown shots (check photos). I love die cast hoops specially in the head tunning. Sorry, but have no chance in record this set and load some audio files, but I recently lent it to a friend of mine in an studio recording and hope I ´ll show you how this kit sounds as soon as final mixing is done. Cheers.

Wow. So many awesome kits. I hope to have pics of my Gretsches uploaded soon. I've been a gretsch player for years. I have an original 1953 round badge, a Catalina elite mahogany, and am I week away from getting the New Classic that I ordered 5 months ago. Pics coming soon. Any advice on finding a 16" round badge floor tom?

Last edited:
As promised, here is my stage kit. its a Catalina Elite Mahogany in Dark Walnut.

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 3,474
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 3,486
Great looking kits!! I just ordered the Renown 3 Piece in Satin Black...will post pics as soon as it arrives.

g.d. , finally got jennifers gretsch set done , so here is my addition to your thread !
catalina birch in carribean blueor blue burst not sure . there is a matching snare but have little time to whip it into shape , besides jennifer won't use anything but her special snare . you know the one !

Attachments

• the gretsch kit 010.JPG
    the gretsch kit 010.JPG
    164.9 KB · Views: 3,094
  • the gretsch kit 015.JPG
    the gretsch kit 015.JPG
    169.9 KB · Views: 3,082
  • the gretsch kit 016.JPG
    the gretsch kit 016.JPG
    175.7 KB · Views: 3,322
  • the gretsch kit 017.JPG
    the gretsch kit 017.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 3,050
  • the gretsch kit 022.JPG
    the gretsch kit 022.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 3,083
Last edited:
Great looking set Gary, Jennifer. Love the blue and sizes. Welcome to the Gretsch family.

You guys (and gals) have some very very nice Gretsches. I have one and i just cant get enough of the Gretsch family. Well here ya go just a couple of pics of my set.
I play Rock, classic rock and blues.
floorshotofdrums.jpg

newdrums.jpg

Last edited:
there is a matching snare but have little time to whip it into shape , besides jennifer won't use anything but her special snare . you know the one !

I do indeed mate.......FWIW, I'd take the "pimped" Acro over the stock snare as well.

Nice kit....enjoy, Jennifer.

I have one and i just cant get enough of the Gretsch family.

Nice mate. I think the Cats are a great kit for the money. Is the add on 8" a Cat tom too?

Back