Mike Marsh ddrum signature steel snare

Defender

Silver Member
Hey guys... I recently saw a ddrum Mike Marsh Snare 14x7 for sale.. I've searched and searched but can't seem to find a price for these when they were new. As I'm always in the market for a bargain, I'm interested if anyone has knowledge of this snare and if so if you could me about it and perhaps if you remember what it went for new?

Thanks, Defender

P.S. Who is Mike Marsh?

5mm seamless steel snare.

http://www.ddrum.com/mikemarshsigsnare.htm

They were also sold as a "DIOS" without the fancy engraving.

snare_hero_dios_cast_chrome.jpg

Used, I'd guess $200 - $250.

I guess what I really would like to know is if this drum is something that would be worth adding to one's snare drum arsenal? Or do I pass on it and wait for a more recognizable snare??

Ah, now we're are the heart of the matter. Of course you know that is really going to be up to you and your ear. If you are able to try it out and you really like the way it sounds and figure it is worth the asking price then go f'rit.

keep in mind that it may be a tough one to re-sell if you aren't very happy with the snare or the deal.

I'm guessing that this is some local sale that has been floating around at a local shop or some Vegas classifieds page. You started this thread a month ago and no one has jumped on it yet. Maybe talk the buyer down.

What is their asking price?

I think it started at around $220, was down to $180 and now it's down to $140. With the lack of replies on this thread, I'm sort of getting that "maybe this isn't the one for me" feeling.

It's a steel snare. It's cool that's it's 5MM, and it's cool that it's 7 inches, and has cast hoops. $140 is almost parts value for the thing. It's only $40 away from impulse-buy range, so if you can get it local, and do not already have a steel snare, go for it.

I'd go look at it and have a listen. If you like it then haggle a bit. Offer him $100 and if you get pushback settle for $120. If he's not willing to deal then walk away from it.

Don't take the lack of interest on this thread for anything. These old timers only like to goo-goo over threads about Ludwigs and funny looking bop kits.

Don't take the lack of interest on this thread for anything. These old timers only like to goo-goo over threads about Ludwigs and funny looking bop kits.

Lol... I was starting to think I had B.O. and everyone was just avoiding me..lol

Looks like someone is selling a 1980's Pearl DLX steel snare now.. maybe I'll hold off and see if he lowers his price... asking $180 right now for it...

You would skip a cast steel snare for some kind of Pearl dlx?

I don't know anything about a Pearl DLX but the pictures of it look like shit.

If the question is "is this drum a good deal?" that is answered a few ways. Monetarily? Probably not great, as the price has been lowered to a low level. Sound? I always liked how these sound. Thick stainless sounds good to me and Ddrum used good lugs, so you can't lose here. If you like the Marsh drum buy it. If you don't, don't.

So, now I've got the...
PDP 14 x 5.5 Maple Concept (that came with my kit)
2008 14 x 6.5 Tama Starclassic Birch
1968 14 x 5 Ludwig Supraphonic
Ddrum 14 x 6.5 (or 7) Cast Steel

I'll play it a couple times and let you know. But when I bought it, it had some horrible snares on it. I went to GC and got the 30 strand Puresounds and a Hazy 300 for the bottom. I'm using my EC1 reverse dot on the batter side right now.

The reason I went for the 30 strand wires was because this snare is factory with a 52 strand (I think) set of wires. So, I figured I'd keep the snare count a little higher than normal. So far it is so very super sensitive.

Peace, Defender

I'll play it at full volume a couple times and reply here as requested.

Well, I've had a chance to play this monster. I knew bass drums had the effect of making you feel it in your chest, but I didn't know there were snare drums out there with the same effect. I swear, sitting behind the kit, this thing makes my heart skip a beat every time I hit it. It's that's thick, full and LOUD!! I wouldn't play it for all types of music, but it's certainly got a niche in the rock, hard rock, metal types of music.

Back