Video: Brian Blade with Trixie Whitley

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Brian Blade with Trixie Whitley

SKF NOTE: This Trixie Whitley video is also a fun look at drummer Brian Blade.

WSJ.com - ARTS MUSIC
Trixie Whitley Learns Some Musical Lessons
Trixie Whitley, daughter of the late blues guitarist Chris Whitley, talks about keeping her musical independence

[O]n the eve of a North American tour, Ms. Whitley, 28, is releasing her second solo album, “Porta Bohemica,” on Feb. 5.

Her music is an eclectic mix of blues, pop, and R&B. She has a powerful voice, but also prides herself on playing drums and piano as well as guitar.

Music executives “would literally say, ‘We want to turn you into the next Amy Winehouse, or we want to turn you into the next Adele’,” Ms. Whitley says. Many wanted her to drop her instruments, saying they interfered with doing R&B ballads. “I’ve had to continuously stand my ground,” she says. “It’s definitely made the process a little slower.”

Click Here to Watch Brian Blade with Trixie Whitley Video

Full Story

SKF Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals

Scott K Fish, the best dressed man on the DW forum (cool photo).

Oh, and also a walking encyclopaedia on drummer history and music stories.

Thanks Scott.

I had high hopes for that black dub album... Even bought it. I had seen lots of the "off the floor" videos leading up to the album and they sounded awesome. What I got though was way overproduced garbage for the most part. The drumming was okay for some of it. I could tell they even used parts of those great performances, but unfortunately they sound sterile and boring now. Still some good singing by Trixie, but ultimately disappointing to my tastes.

Back