best types of drummers and who are the best

I actually disagree to a certain extent

as someone who makes a living playing drums I am regularly at auditions and trying to beat out other players to get the job and feed my family, I encounter competition on a regular basis .

when bands I get a good gig with earn a residency we are in competition with other bands who come through to keep the gig and always draw more than they do so they cannot take our spot.

when I do record dates the artists often have 3 or 4 drummers come in to cut the track and the best performance makes the record ...... again competition

and even when I was in a band that I toured with and put out records with for a decade ....we were in competition with all the other bands on the label to try to stay on the front

burner and to stay a priority with the the company competing in a sense to move more units.... and also in competition with other bands to get the best tours

so as much as anyone wants to believe music is not a competition it very much is on many levels ....not all of course....but many indeed

Just like the guitar center drum it would be what the fans want and they wont care which teskill is harder its what they like

it is 100% a competition

we are competing for work

don't tell me it's not competition....I live it every day of my life

no one is competing to be the "the best" player.....we are competing to be the best player for the job ....we are competing to be chosen by the person who signs the checks

100,000% competition out here.....if you were out here doing it you would say the same thing

this doesn't mean anyone dislikes each other.....we all support each other

but we compete for work to feed our families every single day of our lives

in NY/NJ , Nashville, Boston, LA.....there may be hundreds , sometimes thousands of guys trying to get ONE gig.......but noooooo....no competition there?.....puh - lease !!!

saying it is not competition it simply hilarious to me ...... hilarious

Well, thanks for that I like to give people a laugh.

But you can say what you like, music and musicians are subjective, or the best trained most highly skilled and talented musicians would all be millionaires, and they are not. Why? because you have to be the right fit for a band or a gig, not the best just right.

Competition is measurable, ie not open to interpretation. Music is ALL about interpretation. There is an old cartoon showing an amazing drummer playing and a steady drummer playing, and the steady one gets the job, because thats what the job needed. Not the best drummer but the RIGHT drummer.

There are plenty of guys on youtube who must practice 12 hours per day, every day, are they selling out huge stadiums and muti platinum records? no they are not, thats why they are on the tube. They are very good but not right. Ringo was not the best drummer in the 60s but he was right for the Beatles.

I'll tell you what, if you put ALL the gospel drummers in the world behind a kit AND you even added Buddy Rich (don't say I'm not generous!), they would not soumd as good as Ian Paice!

Lol

Offcourse not. While they'd had no choice but to sound like a schizophrenic mess, he'd have the luxury of laying down a tasteful groove on his own.

Well, thanks for that I like to give people a laugh.

But you can say what you like, music and musicians are subjective, or the best trained most highly skilled and talented musicians would all be millionaires, and they are not. Why? because you have to be the right fit for a band or a gig, not the best just right.

Competition is measurable, ie not open to interpretation. Music is ALL about interpretation. There is an old cartoon showing an amazing drummer playing and a steady drummer playing, and the steady one gets the job, because thats what the job needed. Not the best drummer but the RIGHT drummer.

There are plenty of guys on youtube who must practice 12 hours per day, every day, are they selling out huge stadiums and muti platinum records? no they are not, thats why they are on the tube. They are very good but not right. Ringo was not the best drummer in the 60s but he was right for the Beatles.

you obviously do not understand what I'm talking about so I will gracefully bow out of the conversation

if you actually read my post you would understand that I am not talking about being the best drummer...that is a discussion for children

we compete everyday for work.... not only musicians ..... everyone trying to not be content and move up a proverbial ladder

as much as I enjoy your Kumbaya , tree hugging, everything is peaceful, and music is about expression and interpretation bla bla bla ......yeah ...it is...in a perfect world .....until you are out there trying to get a gig to feed your family that 300 other guys want as well to feed theirs

doesn't matter if that gig requires me to play 4 on the floor with only a kick drum for 5 hours a night....if it is going to feed my family and 300 guys want it .....guess what big boy......there is a competition to get it

just how life works chief

I thank you for the conversation

Last edited:
you obviously do not understand what I'm talking about so I will gracefully bow out of the conversation

if you actually read my post you would understand that I am not talking about being the best drummer...that is a discussion for children

we compete everyday for work.... not only musicians ..... everyone trying to not be content and move up a proverbial ladder

as much as I enjoy your Kumbaya , tree hugging, everything is peaceful, and music is about expression and interpretation bla bla bla ......yeah ...it is...in a perfect world .....until you are out there trying to get a gig to feed your family that 300 other guys want as well to feed theirs

doesn't matter if that gig requires me to play 4 on the floor with only a kick drum for 5 hours a night....if it is going to feed my family and 300 guys want it .....guess what big boy......there is a competition to get it

just how life works chief

I thank you for the conversation

Nice. You have your point of view, and i wont descend to personal abuse to try and argue any more.

Just 3 things though. 1. I am not a big boy (5-5 if you need to know). 2. I am not a tree hugger (What that has to do with drumming I dont know) and 3. I am not a Chief. (Not even and Indian as far as I am aware).

But hey, If someones opinion riles you that much, I withdraw it. Life is too short.

Nice. You have your point of view, and i wont descend to personal abuse to try and argue any more.

Just 3 things though. 1. I am not a big boy (5-5 if you need to know). 2. I am not a tree hugger (What that has to do with drumming I dont know) and 3. I am not a Chief. (Not even and Indian as far as I am aware).

But hey, If someones opinion riles you that much, I withdraw it. Life is too short.

if that is personal abuse and seemed like I was "riled" you may want to thicken your skin

it's a tough world out there

I meant no disrespect nor was it said with aggressive intent

just telling you how it is out here

it's tough sometimes and often hurts when you feel you were the better man for the job and don't get it based on things that had nothing to do with drumming

but like they say.... business never personal

on to the next gig

nothing but peace my friend ...truly

life is too short indeed

My question to you drummers is why do people say rock drummer and heavy metal drummers are the best?

I'm pretty sure that most people have accepted that I am in fact the best drummer. Deal with it.

My issue with Gospel drummers, is while all that technique is well and good, they're the first ones to tell you they don't play that way when they're playing with other musicians. In fact, the uber-chops stuff will cause you to LOSE your job quicker that you would gain one.

Is it me? I think it's me. All of the gospel drummers sound the same to me, and they all sound like Dennis Chambers. I am grossly overgeneralizing, but....I can't tell you who is playing what by sound alone, and I find that kind of...unfortunate...sad, to a degree, even.

Yep, you go ahead and keep consoling yourself with the greatest this and the best that. I'm busy enjoying playing drums and playing music.

My issue with Gospel drummers, is while all that technique is well and good, they're the first ones to tell you they don't play that way when they're playing with other musicians. In fact, the uber-chops stuff will cause you to LOSE your job quicker that you would gain one.

Is it me? I think it's me. All of the gospel drummers sound the same to me, and they all sound like Dennis Chambers. I am grossly overgeneralizing, but....I can't tell you who is playing what by sound alone, and I find that kind of...unfortunate...sad, to a degree, even.

Yep, you go ahead and keep consoling yourself with the greatest this and the best that. I'm busy enjoying playing drums and playing music.

Nice reply man i noe what u mean that they all sound the same i can agree lo what i intially wanted to say is i see like what is the best drummer and why

For me, it is the Jazz/big band drummers that seem to rise to the top of the heap. the alte Ed Shaunnesey, Buddy, Gene Kruppa, Joe Morello, Louie Bellson,and a host of immortals from that era are still the top or the pyramid for me. They were imaginative, rudimental, could wow you fast or slow, were consumate musicians, and knew when it was their turn to play, and when not. When it was not the solo moment, they could still drive the buss in many time signatures if needed.

Back