AA Meinl Foot Cabasa

That thing is off the hook!! I love it. I can think of some pretty cool sounding beats you could get going. I hope that guy in that video is not a Meinl employee because he can't keep a steady beat with his left foot.

That's Adam in the video - he's my Meinl rep..

0_0 I'm sure your staff are perfectly qualified, hope I didn't offend you.

But anyway the whole idea is very cool. It works like a dualist too- the up/down motion. so.... it is cheating?? : )

I think I can safely say that I could live the rest of my life without ever having to play cabasa with my foot.... But just in case that day comes, I know where to go .

Yeah, even a real hand cabasa should be played in one direction only.

You just had to be a smart a** didn't you WL? : ) Hand cabasas are cheating, too.

0_0 I'm sure your staff are perfectly qualified, hope I didn't offend you.

But anyway the whole idea is very cool. It works like a dualist too- the up/down motion. so.... it is cheating?? : )

No prob. Adam is a great musician actually. He's a whiz on hand percussion. This sounds like a joke but it's not - he'll kick your @ss on a skinned tamborine. Ever seen a "real" tamborine player?? ;-)

hey dmc, how did you make yours?
can i see some up close pics?

Here it is. You may need a vise and hacksaw to cut the carriage bolt. The method is probably similar for many different pedals. Obviously, you will need to take the cabasa and pedal into a hardware store to assemble all the correct parts and check fit. You will need LocTite to keep the cabasa from loosening during use. This mod is completely reversible and requires no modification of the pedal itself.

Explodedview.jpg

Exploded view of mounting system. From left: carriage bolt, washer, lock washer, cabasa, washer, deep nut.

Beaterup.jpg

Mounted cabasa. One end of the deep nut secures the carriage bolt, while the other end screws to the end of the pedal axle. I also modified the beater, threading each end and putting a lock bolt on each end and welding a wing nut to the tension bolt that secures the beater. This allows me to retract the beater by hand for cabasa-only playing, or to extend the beater for cabasa/block playing.

Beaterdown.jpg

Beater retracted for cabasa-only playing. This option is an improvement over the Meinl version, as it's a one-trick pony. My option allows use of another bell or block.

Deathmetalconga -

How do you think using a pedal with a strap compares with a chain or direct drive pedal?

Does yours play in both directions?

Deathmetalconga -

How do you think using a pedal with a strap compares with a chain or direct drive pedal?

Does yours play in both directions?

Yes, my cabasa plays in both directions. It is a much different technique than the hand, without nearly as much control or versatility, but it's good for some things.

I have played strap, chain and direct over the years and I notice absolutely no difference in feel or action between any of them. It just depends on how you have things adjusted. I converted these pedals from chain to strap because I got tired of metal grease getting everywhere.

Here it is. You may need a vise and hacksaw to cut the carriage bolt. The method is probably similar for many different pedals. Obviously, you will need to take the cabasa and pedal into a hardware store to assemble all the correct parts and check fit. You will need LocTite to keep the cabasa from loosening during use. This mod is completely reversible and requires no modification of the pedal itself.

AWESOME!!

What a great idea. Two thumbs up!

DMC, thanks for the mod info. One question: do all cabasas work? By that I mean is there a specific brand that has a removable handle, or can they all be taken apart relatively easily?

Back