Advice on what set I should get?

erik_m_vos

I've been drumming since I was 17, and I'm 37 now. I haven't been involved in any bands or anything for over 10 years, and just recently got back into playing for the contemporary service at church. I used to own a yamaha stage custom back in like 2000, and it was an ok set but the sound was just so so. I"m looking to get into a good intermediate set that would be good for not only practice, but church and maybe playing locally here if the opportunity arises. I've been contacted about both joining a jazz group and an oldtime rock and roll group here in town. What do you all suggest for a good, yet inexpensive set that has a good sound and could be used for almost any venue??

Thanks!
Erik Vos

The Gretsch Renown series is a suggestion. They offer a kit with a 16x20" bass which would be good if you are looking to play in a jazz group and old time rock and roll. Most kits nowadays come with bass drums that are 18x20/22/24 etc., which don't really lend themselves to music outside of rock/metal/pop.

Pearl Masters MCX is another possibility in a close price range to the Renowns and offer different possibilities with drum sizes. If you look in the right places you can find both kits for under $1400.00 USD.

The Gretsch Renown series is a suggestion. They offer a kit with a 16x20" bass which would be good if you are looking to play in a jazz group and old time rock and roll. Most kits nowadays come with bass drums that are 18x20/22/24 etc., which don't really lend themselves to music outside of rock/metal/pop.

Pearl Masters MCX is another possibility in a close price range to the Renowns and offer different possibilities with drum sizes. If you look in the right places you can find both kits for under $1400.00 USD.

Thanks for the quick reply. I've heard good things about Gretsch... What are your thoughts on the Pearl Vision series? I've been hearing good things about that set, and they look good, but are they versatile and good quality?

Why buy a new intermediate set when you can have a used pro kit for the same money?

Hit up Craigslist or eBay. Be patient and score a deal.

Erik
Monica is correct..In this market buy used..You can get a good used pro-level kit(player's kit,may have a few scratches..who cares!). 20" bass drum(as recommended by madgolfer),four or 5 piece kit. Denis

Back