What are the best books on drum fills

What is the absolute best or "bible" of drum fill books/videos? This is based in terms of the content, the variety of ideas, the examples, and the overall presentation or ingenuity of the book.

I was looking at a couple just now. One is called Essential Drumset Fills by Jeff Bowders, and the other one is called Essential Drum Fills by Peter Erskine. Anyone have opinions on either of these two books?

I know the biggest recommendations on fills is to learn by your favorite drummers. But it would be nice to get one of these books to go along with Groove Essentials. For instance, I have no clue what kind of fill to play for the Half-time grooves.

You don't need a book. The answers are in the music. Transcribe and learn fills you dig.

A few recommendations:

Ringo Starr
Jeff Porcaro
Steve Gadd
Dom Famularo
Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie
Jim Keltner

Also, write your own. Write out as many rhythmic patterns as you can think of and then orchestrate them on the kit in various ways.

I often come up with fills based on what's going on in the music. For example, if I'm recording an original song and the artist wants a big fill going into the chorus, I'll listen to what the melody is doing and create a fill that relates. This ensures that the fill is both appropriate and interesting. Same goes for filling at the end of a solo (for example, the end of a guitar solo going back into the last verse or last chorus etc.). Listen to what the soloist is playing and play a fill that relates to the idea he/she is performing at the end of the solo.

I don't know how far along you are but these two DVDs have helped me a lot:

Rhythmic-Visions-and-Horizons-with-Gavin-Harrison.jpg

Hudson Music Rhythmic Visions & Horizons with Gavin Harrison

Back