How to get one more drum into the house

Skulmoski

Gold Member
I have a problem that many of you may also have: my partner thinks I have too many drums and percussion instruments. (I don't know how to tell her that I am eyeing a 100th Anniversary Ludwig Hammered Snare in the short term and in the long term a Gretch USA Custom BeBop kit.) So how can I get another drum into our house?

In the mean time, we may be looking at some new furniture. The Hardwood Music company now makes furniture that contains a logdrum. How can my partner say no to a beautiful end table!

http://www.hardwoodmusic.net/Furniture.htm

Take care

GJS

Bags or cases my friend. A shiny new hammered 100th anniversary Luddy sticks out like a sore thumb. Yet all drum cases/bags are black, round and look exactly the same to the untrained eye. Unless your partner is up to speed with the latest gator/prot. racket/skb catalogue, you're home free!!

Non-drummers won't count cases, they don't care about cases...they just know you have too many cases...and they're all black/round/the same. This is your moment to strike....put the luddy in a black, round case and place that with all your other black, round cases....and here it stays until it's time to be played. Your old snare stays on your kit and the new one comes out when the coast is clear...problem solved.

This method has seen me safely through numerous steady girlfriends and a current wife...my mail on this is good!!

Best of luck.

Bags or cases my friend. A shiny new hammered 100th anniversary Luddy sticks out like a sore thumb. Yet all drum cases/bags are black, round and look exactly the same to the untrained eye. Unless your partner is up to speed with the latest gator/prot. racket/skb catalogue, you're home free!!

Non-drummers won't count cases, they don't care about cases...they just know you have too many cases...and they're all black/round/the same. This is your moment to strike....put the luddy in a black, round case and place that with all your other black, round cases....and here it stays until it's time to be played. Your old snare stays on your kit and the new one comes out when the coast is clear...problem solved.

This method has seen me safely through numerous steady girlfriends and a current wife...my mail on this is good!!

Best of luck.

HAHAHA fantastic advice!

Best of luck.

Now, now, now; I can't fib. I just gotta be up front with my partner, budget for future guilt-free purchases (e.g. $150/month), be a like minded partner (e.g. watch Mama Mia, The Secret Life of Bees, Australia, and 100 other chick flicks) and be a supportive husband (e.g. inquire about what is going on with her friends' lives).

GJS

Now, now, now; I can't fib. I just gotta be up front with my partner, budget for future guilt-free purchases (e.g. $150/month), be a like minded partner (e.g. watch Mama Mia, The Secret Life of Bees, Australia, and 100 other chick flicks) and be a supportive husband (e.g. inquire about what is going on with her friends' lives).

GJS

Alright man....you can't say I didn't try......if you wanna spend your dollars on chick flicks (christ....Australia??? I live there and I'm still embarrassed by that drivel!!) instead of 'investing' wisely (a 100th anniv. hammered Ludwig would be a wise choice I think!!)...then that's your call.

Here's hoping you don't have to sit through too many hours before seeing that snare drum and bop kit.....in their black, round cases of course!!

Cheers mate.

Best of luck.

that is a REALLY good idea!

Alright man....you can't say I didn't try......if you wanna spend your dollars on chick flicks (christ....Australia??? I live there and I'm still embarrassed by that drivel!!) instead of 'investing' wisely (a 100th anniv. hammered Ludwig would be a wise choice I think!!)...then that's your call.

Here's hoping you don't have to sit through too many hours before seeing that snare drum and bop kit.....in their black, round cases of course!!

Cheers mate.

It gets worse: tomorrow night we are going to the theatre! We have cable, so we don't really "spend" money on chick flicks; we just spend "quality" time. But if this is the path to some great drums, then count me in (200 bpm that is!)

GJS

Well...I was told any more equipment in the house would cause her to move out.

So with that in mind, I'm wondering what gear I can buy where her clothes and shoes would have been !

My wife is used to seeing kits/snares/cymbals/gear galore come into and out of the house at a rapid pace. I buy entry-level kits that I find on craigslist for great deals and sell them to students (I live in a poorer neighborhood where the kids can't afford even the $250 for a basic shell pack, let alone any cymbals to add on top of that). She doesn't keep tabs anymore about what's coming and staying or what's going. That works for me! For all she knows, that "new" 1959 Slingerland kit that just showed up in our basement is for a student. :D

The cases idea has the potential to work, or any "out of sight" location. Heck, I could FILL my studio with drums if I wanted, as my wife NEVER goes in there. Do you have a closet that never gets opened? A dark corner in a basement? An attic?

Basically, it boils down to this: unless they're into it too, you're going to have a very hard time explaining to your S.O. why you "need" that new snare/kit/cymbal/whatever. Actually, none of us really "needs" this extra stuff, but as curious human beings, we desire novelty and variety, and as musicians, we desire inspiration in the form of new looks/sounds, and as consumers of products, we simply desire more stuff. When redundant instruments come in the form of expensive objects that take up space and serve no perceived needed purpose to our loved ones, it doesn't make sense to them and will seem unnecessary and frivolous. And, quite honestly...IT IS!!! BUT, it's our passion and hobby (and to some of us, our lifestyle and livelihood), and we can't expect others to understand all of our quirks and obsessions.

...and so, THAT is why the answers to this question will mostly be sneaky ones. If you can manage to be upfront with your girl, and she's cool with it, then godspeed! Go forth and collect! If not, then you'll have to come up with other, "less upfront" measures like the rest of the gear-heads you'll talk with here...

The best method is, as some folks have said, keep moving drums in and out of cases and in and out of the house until it's to hard to keep track of what you have.

If you're being transparent about your budget, though, the next best thing is that every time you acquire something, you accompany it with a statement about what you plan to sell so it won't cost anything. And sometimes it can take many months to make that sale...

Best of luck.

lol! Not all cases hold drums though. Some cases are also known as envelops and these cases hold statements that aren't as easy to hide!

My wife and I have a simple arrangement:

She never questions how many drums I have, and I never question how many shoes she has.

GJS

I think this is a good start on an article about "How to Make a Relationship Work." : - )

Seriously, being interested in and supporting the things your partner is passionate about will usually go a long way toward getting the same kind of support for all things drumming--not only your purchases but also the time you spend practicing, gigging, hanging out on drum forums, etc.

spleen

Always buy the new one first. And always be lazy about trying to sell the old one. Eventually, No One Wants It. So you just have to keep it.
I am very lucky though, theres been many times when Im drooling over some snare drum and she says, Why dont you buy that. ..... and Im thinking there is no way I can afford that.

Buy her jewelry. Diamonds if you can afford.

Buy her jewelry. Diamonds if you can afford.

Won't work; she's a Birkenstock folkie. I once surprised her with tickets to see Guy Clarke who was playing 1000 miles away in Steamboat Springs. Now that she loved! If I could arrange for her to see a John Prine concert, then I just might get those drums!

GJS

It gets worse: tomorrow night we are going to the theatre!
GJS

UPDATE: 4 hours of lousy boring dinner theatre last night! Ouch. Unfortunately, my partner did not like it either. At least our dinner table have good friends with us. The saving grace is that I have moved up a notch in her good books which means I am a bit closer to some USA Customs.

Have a nice weekend.

GJS

p.s. This thread is more about the fantastic looking "drums" that Hardwood Music is selling: http://www.hardwoodmusic.net/Furniture.htm

Tell her that she can buy all of the shoes that she wants if you can have your drums! That's how I Square it with my wife! I use shoes as a bargaining chip!

Thats why I use v drums & a headset I get no argument.

Back