Audition Anxiety

leoyucht

Hi Guys,
I am 17 and I am preparing for jazz auditions for college. I have a prescreening on the 17th and have a set list prepared. Applications are going out. It's starting to "get real".

I am a pretty confident drummer and performer (I have a good background in classical percussion). I never really get nervous to play. However, these next few performance have more at stake for me. I am starting to get nervous.

I have seen others play, at colleges and my age, and I really do feel like I am good enough to get into some of the schools I am applying to. However, with the tiny acceptance rate of these schools, it is incredibly nerve racking.

I am just wondering if anyone has tips for not stressing about auditions. It may seem kind of silly, but I really would appreciate your guys feedback - those who have been through auditions/prescreening, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much, and just to show you here is the list of schools I am applying to (bold are the schools that I am psyched about):

Safety: Hartt, Berklee (teacher went there - David Calarco - relatively well known now and said he could have some "say" in my acceptance.)

Target: William Paterson, NYU, SUNY Purchase

Reach: NEC, MSM, New School

Thanks,
Leo

PS. Does anyone know that when applying to Hartt you need to apply to University of Hartford too?

I had an instructor in college that called this needless worry. If you prepare to the best of your ability then you have done all you can do and there is no need to worry. If you haven't prepared as well as possible then it's probably too late and again no need to worry because you are not going to be prepared. wise advice for a lifetime.

As I type this on the other end of the couch is my 17 year old in the same situation. He is a classical player who also plays drumset and feeling the same way. He is prepared now. He doesn't realize it. He's being super critical and unconfident.

My advice would be to play a sample lesson now if you haven't already for the people you are auditioning for. We have been to 2 of the 3 he will be auditioning at and he goes next week to the last school for a sample lesson. He has played multiple times for and has been to camps with the top two choices. You need to try and make yourself comfortable with the teachers if possible. You may find you don't fit with a teacher at a school you may like. He took a sample lesson with one teacher at a school on your list and knew that that teacher wasn't for him. He took the school totally off his list.

Good luck and stay calm.

BigD

As I type this on the other end of the couch is my 17 year old in the same situation. He is a classical player who also plays drumset and feeling the same way. He is prepared now. He doesn't realize it. He's being super critical and unconfident.

My advice would be to play a sample lesson now if you haven't already for the people you are auditioning for. We have been to 2 of the 3 he will be auditioning at and he goes next week to the last school for a sample lesson. He has played multiple times for and has been to camps with the top two choices. You need to try and make yourself comfortable with the teachers if possible. You may find you don't fit with a teacher at a school you may like. He took a sample lesson with one teacher at a school on your list and knew that that teacher wasn't for him. He took the school totally off his list.

Good luck and stay calm.

BigD

Thanks for the tips. I have visited a bunch of schools but unfortunately was unable to get any lessons - without a ridiculous fee. I judged the schools on how I saw the teachers interact with other students.

I wish him the best of luck too.

Leo

i would concentrate on turning off all internal dialog when you audition & just stay in the moment, as musically as possible. watch Hal Galper's "The Illusion of An Instrument" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8 . basically stay in the creative "zone" & don't try to over think the audition...especially as you are performing. Hal's approach is very very though provoking.

i would concentrate on turning off all internal dialog when you audition & just stay in the moment, as musically as possible. watch Hal Galper's "The Illusion of An Instrument" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_7DgCrziI8 . basically stay in the creative "zone" & don't try to over think the audition...especially as you are performing. Hal's approach is very very though provoking.

This is great. When you get there, don't think about what they are thinking about you, instead, turn it around and pretend that you are auditioning them, to see if you want to give them your money. Go in with that mindset and you will forget about you. Focus on them. What do you think about them? What are they wearing? What are their attitudes like? No one likes self doubt and insecurity. Don't go there. Be the opposite of the self conscious, unconfident guy. That's the other guys problem. Empower yourself. You are the one with the money. Don't ever forget that. Maybe ask them about their curriculum, just so you empower yourself. Let them worry about if their curriculum is good enough for you. Put yourself in the power position, even if you have to delude yourself temporarily. Own the joint. This is no time for self doubt, quite the opposite. If there were ever a time where you have to get out of your own way, this is it. Make yourself so darn likeable, and play from your heart. Make it so if you were them, you'd want you to represent their school. Rehearse your attitude. The thing that will cripple yourself the fastest is you so lay off yourself.

As an electrician, when I am troubleshooting something, the hard work is identifying the problem. Once I identify the problem, the solution makes itself apparent. Whatever the problem is, you do the opposite, that's the approach I use. You've identified your problem. What is the opposite of anxiety? Confidence. What do you do if you don't have as much as you'd like? You have to fake it. Maybe you're not comfortable faking it. In this case, tough crap, you have to suck it up and act confident for an hour. Man up and get er done. It's as simple as that and need not be anymore complicated. You have the skills, don't let your own self doubting thoughts sabotage what you KNOW you are capable of. Go get em tiger....

Last edited:
I don't think auditions are ever easy for most people— maybe there are a few mutants who can do them without feeling any pressure. Just don't worry about blowing the auditioners' minds (you won't), make your presentation the way you've prepared it, and as best you can try to take the attitude that you'll get in somewhere, and wherever you end up will be fine.

In fact, I actually think you'd be better off doing your first 2-3 years at the cheapest state school with the best program you can find— in the northwest that would be places like U of Oregon or Washington, Portland State, even Boise State— and finish up at one of your gold-plated northeast schools. I don't think you should feel any pressure at all to get into your dream school your freshman year.

Todd,

I don't think there is anything wrong with shooting for those top schools, especially if it's within your grasp. We also happen to live in NY State and in my son's case he has been exposed to some of the top east coast schools, teachers and orchestral players.

Leo,
Absolutely do not go in cocky like you own the place. You are not auditioning them for your money. You are proving you are an intelligent, thinking, musical player who is able to take direction well and has the ability to grow and be guided. That's what you want to impress upon the person/persons auditioning you.

good luck!!

Back