What do you think of my Mapex Kit?

Basically the only this that would bother me would be the cymbal arrangement on the right side. I wouldn't have a clear shot trying to get to a couple of them, but that's just me and the angles and perspectives of the photographs could have something to do with this illusion I'm seeing. If everything works well for you from your drumming position, don't pay attention to others trying to re-organise your drums. Just play away and enjoy yourself. You'll readjust if you feel the need.

Dennis

I do agree with your comment about the ease of the right hand cymbals but as you also said, its very comfortable to me. I know exactly were everything is and I can play through stuff like 'Instrumedley' by Dream Theatre with my eyes closed. I'm just curious to know what people think is so awkward because its so normal to me! lol. Thanks for your comments anyway

Cheers

Nice kit. If it works for you - that's all that matters. Remember that alot of people asked Louie Bellson what he was doing when he introduced an additional bass drum, and look what happened with that ;)

You do your thing - if others have a problem with it, that's not your problem.

You have a point. Thanks for your comments

Cheers

FYI, and you may already know this, the Rockshop have 25% off all Evans heads until the end of November. So I suggest you get in quick :)

Studio rings ay.... bit of a misleading name if you ask me. They can work well in a less-than-ideal practice space but on a gig (or in a studio for that matter) I certainly wouldn't use them.

Just curious, everyone is saying that my set-up is very awkward and different, but to me its the most comfortable i can have it. I am 6ft 3" and everything is within a very comfortable reach.

I'm 6'4" and would have no problem palying this kit, I think it's great!

Do you have any footage of you playing it? Maybe you could give us all a demo and show us you playing both basses, both hats and that tom with your feet and everything else?

I've played weird and wonderful sets before, some a little more "how the hell did I manage that" than yours, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, if you are truely comfortable with it (as you say) then why are you asking what you could change about the set up? You've been plying on this for a certain amount of time, start moving things and you will have to readjust your comfort zone.

Also, seeing as you've got two hats, the only thing I'd say is add a ride to your left. You'd be surprised how awesome it is haha. And maybe an electronic kit with pads above your toms? Who knows, the possibilities with these things is endless!

FYI, and you may already know this, the Rockshop have 25% off all Evans heads until the end of November. So I suggest you get in quick :)

Studio rings ay.... bit of a misleading name if you ask me. They can work well in a less-than-ideal practice space but on a gig (or in a studio for that matter) I certainly wouldn't use them.

I didnt know about that sale but il be in thea soon haha thanks for lettn me know, and il have a think about them rings haha

I'm 6'4" and would have no problem palying this kit, I think it's great!

Do you have any footage of you playing it? Maybe you could give us all a demo and show us you playing both basses, both hats and that tom with your feet and everything else?

I've played weird and wonderful sets before, some a little more "how the hell did I manage that" than yours, so I wouldn't worry.

Also, if you are truely comfortable with it (as you say) then why are you asking what you could change about the set up? You've been plying on this for a certain amount of time, start moving things and you will have to readjust your comfort zone.

Also, seeing as you've got two hats, the only thing I'd say is add a ride to your left. You'd be surprised how awesome it is haha. And maybe an electronic kit with pads above your toms? Who knows, the possibilities with these things is endless!

Im going to take a video of me playing and post it on you tube, just waiting to get my hands on some mics so it sounds half decent, il post the link when its up. I am very comfortable with my kit, its just that it feels so normal to me that i wana know what people think is weird about it because someone might suggest something really simple to me and i might just say 'wow that would be alot easier.....' and give a try, you know? any ways, i have had a ride to my left before ( i can only blast at about 120 BPM with my left hand you see so i put the ride there so i could have my right hand blasting at about 150 BPM and my left hand doing a bit of ad-lib work on the ride bell). I dont have it in my set up because the bands that i am in now dont require a ride blast at those speeds, so i didnt see the point wasting a good crash space lol

And the only thing stopping me from doing a Danny Carey with the synth pads is money. Just cant afford that sorta set-up atm but one day.........

I love how this thread became a conversation haha.

Anyway.

Great kit dude, I saw it in the Mapex thread and did wonder about the workability, but it's one of those Frankensteins that I would be rather happy playing on :p

what IS that avatar?

I REALLY like the Mapex kit, the others not so much. You have four Mapex toms and a double bass drum pedal. What do you need the rest of it for? You should be able to play just about anything with the Mapex drums. This is just one guy's opinion. To each his/her own.

Back