My Oak Custom in Honey Amber with Wood Hoops.

Here's another tease. I got the hoops for the toms yesterday, but they sent me a 14" with the incorrect amount of lug holes. Here's the 10". Its blurry cause I was in a poorly lit room with my cell phone camera.

Oaktom.jpg

I have no idea, I just think they look cool.

Actually, you'd be surprised, hoops make a big difference. Even switching between flanged metal and die cast metal hoops produces a different sound. If you change the vibration properties of the hoop, you change the sound of the drum. Hoops and bearing edges are the most important elements in the transfer of energy from the head to the shell. So wood hoops will likely change the level and nature of overtones.

Actually, you'd be surprised, hoops make a big difference. Even switching between flanged metal and die cast metal hoops produces a different sound. If you change the vibration properties of the hoop, you change the sound of the drum. Hoops and bearing edges are the most important elements in the transfer of energy from the head to the shell. So wood hoops will likely change the level and nature of overtones.

Yeah, plus they look cool ;)

looking forward to seeing the oaks all set up, the honey amber and wood hoops is looking good already...

I should be getting the 14" hoop by the 24th... I ordered them from Drummaker.com and those guys are great. They are super attentive and are great about communicating. Even with the order confusion, I'm extremely satisfied with the service, particularly given the shipping insanity of the Christmas season here in the US. Three cheers for Andy!

Believe me, I'll set it up and take some nice pics between now and New Years. I did take the earlier advice and ordered a set of Ambassadors (from Just Drums!) as well.

I'm definitely ready for a gig.

Okay, finally some photos of the kit from its first gig. I'll give a little more feedback later, but I just wanted to post pics first. Any thoughts on the blonde hoops? I'm wondering if I should finish them with a darker color than the shells.

DSCF2825.jpg

DSCF2797.jpg

DSCF2811.jpg

DSCF2801.jpg

DSCF2823.jpg

DSCF2829.jpg

Last edited:
But I'd put some maple bass drums hoops with the same color of your toms hoops.

They look fantastic. A darker shade (more of a mahogany) would look even better in my opinion. Absolutely beautiful drums all the same! Congratulations on a great new set.

Hey Garvin, how's that AA Raw Ride sound? I'm on the market for a new ride at the minute and I've heard some good samples of them but not really in the context of music.

Hope you're well,

Kev

I love mine. Its fairly dry, and a very clean stick sound. It has a crash with an extremely quick decay. I use it in a blues band and it carries well over the volume. I've played it in jazz setups though and there is a bit of an odd resonance at low volumes, which I'm not crazy about. I really don't think you can go wrong at the price they are offered though.

Back