How much do drum lessons cost in New York?

Elpecs

Hello Gentlemen,

I've been living in NYC for a couple of months and I'm thinking on offering private lessons.
I would like to know how much is fair to charge for this in the area, how much are the average rates. I'm a Berklee graduate, and have experience teaching in Spain and Peru, plus a lot of playing experience in different settings.
I would really appreciate your help!

David

I've spoken to my teacher about this a lot.

Starting off, it's difficult to demand a high price for lessons, even with the resume you pack, because there are so many others with the same qualifications if not better ones, who can hardly keep students and make new ones and make a good amount of money regularly.

The economy has taken so much away from music and the desire to be apart of it when it costs money. So buying gear and taking lessons are big things to take a hit. Trust me, I work in a drum shop that also gives lessons. Though I haven't been working there since before the economy took a huge dump, my boss and other co-workers tell me every day how much worse it is.

So taking that into account, it's even tougher to make it as a private instructor, especially starting off now without a huge history of teaching locally that people know of.

Honestly, I couldn't say. I don't teach at my store, but I will tell you that $15 an hour is more than I make as a salesman. I would maybe talk to some other guys in town who teach (privately and in a store) and see how it compares and see what you think you can make privately.

Although if the offer is on a timer, I'd jump on it since I'm sure you've been able to see what it's like to find work...

Here is a suggestion.
Go to Craigslist, NYC, Services, Lessons and scroll thru the music ones for an idea

'
I live in a different country, but I charge 2-3 three times what I did in a normal job. It's not the same thing. Now I'm working in a public music school along with salary according to my education and tenure my lesson time isfor 6 hours 4 days a week. That's a full position and to be compared with a full time job at the same level of education. The rest of the time is for preparation, practice, meetings and so on. I would think $50-100 would be normal for anyone who's truly qualified.

Personally, I've paid as much as $150 for a lesson.

I've spoken to my teacher about this a lot.

Starting off, it's difficult to demand a high price for lessons, even with the resume you pack, because there are so many others with the same qualifications if not better ones, who can hardly keep students and make new ones and make a good amount of money regularly.

The economy has taken so much away from music and the desire to be apart of it when it costs money. So buying gear and taking lessons are big things to take a hit. Trust me, I work in a drum shop that also gives lessons. Though I haven't been working there since before the economy took a huge dump, my boss and other co-workers tell me every day how much worse it is.

So taking that into account, it's even tougher to make it as a private instructor, especially starting off now without a huge history of teaching locally that people know of.

Not to forget all the free lessons provided on youtube for free which many people tend to op for these days.

Back