Single or Double Braced?

Pedro

Pioneer Member
Hi all

I want to buy a new boomstand from Yamaha, and am doubting between the single braced and double braced. I'm currently using a very old single braced yamaha stand and that works fine for me.....but I don't know how the new ones are.

So....please tell me your experience......considering quality, weight, stability.

Thanks

If you're not playing hard rock you can probably stay with single braced stands. The doubles look cool, but also add a lot of weight to your load. Do you plan on moving the kit a lot?

If you're not playing hard rock you can probably stay with single braced stands. The doubles look cool, but also add a lot of weight to your load. Do you plan on moving the kit a lot?

I am planning to move the kit a lot.
The weight is actually the thing that I'm worried about with the double braced.
And I don't play hardrock, but of course I would like to buy a stand that is suitable for a lot of things (I don't like buying hardware), so if I buy a stand I can use it for all the stuff if needed. But I'm not a hard hitter......

Single braced stands are good for single items such as a single cymbal or a single tom, but if you load up the stands like I do then you will want double bracing. I have one double braced Pearl stand that has a 12" and 13" toms and a cymbal boom with a 16" crash on it. It definitely needs the extra brace to hold up all that stuff!

Defintely having double braced stuff adds tons of weight, but if you get a bag that has wheels on it, and have two guys lifting it then you should be good.

I play metal, and hit hard, and have tons of cymbals
Thats why i just switched to a rack system. So much easier and its not that heavy at all

But the double braced stuff is always worth it. For me it just lasts long and can stand up to the test of gigging and touring

I've never found that it's the double-bracing that makes the stand stable, but rather the extra weight at the bottom of the stand and the fact that double-braced legs usually extend farther than single-braced models do.

I don't buy the stability argument for a minute. On my Yamaha 600 cymbal stand (single-braced), I mount a splash cymbal clamp with a 24" K Light Ride over my bass drum, a 19" old A Zildjian on the actually stand tilter, and a 16" old A Zildjian on another splash cymbal clamp. I've been doing this for years (with all kinds of cymbals), and the stand has never once failed me by slipping or tipping over.

My vote goes for single-braced. Cheaper, lighter, and works just as good as double-braced.

Defintely having double braced stuff adds tons of weight, but if you get a bag that has wheels on it, and have two guys lifting it then you should be good.

Thats why i just switched to a rack system. So much easier and its not that heavy at all

But the double braced stuff is always worth it. For me it just lasts long and can stand up to the test of gigging and touring

I used to have a rack, but I sold it because it is too much work to set it up :). I understand if you play with a enormous kit a rack is better :)

Single braced stands are good for single items such as a single cymbal or a single tom, but if you load up the stands like I do then you will want double bracing. I have one double braced Pearl stand that has a 12" and 13" toms and a cymbal boom with a 16" crash on it. It definitely needs the extra brace to hold up all that stuff!

Well, for now, it's only for a crash or ride.......but it's possible that I add a 8" tom on my kit, and that the stand would be used for this kind of stuff, or for a X-hat.
of course if you put 2 toms and a cymbal...I wouldn't trust with single braced........
But what do u think....if it's for a cymbal and 8" tom or for cymbal and X-hat.....would the single braced be enough (because I hate to carry heavy stands!)

If you hate carrying heavy stands then go with single braced. If you set it up properly where that the overhanging stuff is overtop of one of the legs and you should be good

if your adding anything else or a heavier tom then i would go with double brace

I've never found that it's the double-bracing that makes the stand stable, but rather the extra weight at the bottom of the stand and the fact that double-braced legs usually extend farther than single-braced models do.

I don't buy the stability argument for a minute. On my Yamaha 600 cymbal stand (single-braced), I mount a splash cymbal clamp with a 24" K Light Ride over my bass drum, a 19" old A Zildjian on the actually stand tilter, and a 16" old A Zildjian on another splash cymbal clamp. I've been doing this for years (with all kinds of cymbals), and the stand has never once failed me by slipping or tipping over.

My vote goes for single-braced. Cheaper, lighter, and works just as good as double-braced.

Wow! you certainly encourage me for single braced :)
Well, I also have an old Yamaha single braced stand from my prevouse Power V drum.....and this one (together with an old premier stand) keep lasting.....I bought it 2nd hand and it's probably 10 or 15years old. I ones invested in a Pearl double braced stand...and it was broken after 2 years. (that's why I want yamaha)

But my worry is: are the old single braced yamaha stand the same as the new ones?

And: do you mount 4 cymbals on one stand? (I would love to do that :) )

If you can always arrange to have 2 guys lifting a bag, that's great. I can do that at gigs, but when I'm at home, it's just me doing the loading/unloading. I make sure that every load that I take is not too heavy for just me to lift. Actually, I want to make sure that it's fairly easy. I used to have a huge trap case, but it was too heavy and way too cumbersome. I switched to a small suitcase and bought hardware appropriately sized to fit inside (which is why I got the Yamaha 600 series--they fold down very small). I think that rack systems are a little much for me, too, space-wise. I like to be able to take a small Honda Civic to gigs, especially with gas prices nowadays.

And: do you mount 4 cymbals on one stand? (I would love to do that :) )

I don't know if the old stuff is like the newer stuff. I'm definitely not a Yamaha endorser or aficionado, but I got their stands because they collapse to a very small height.

I have never mounted 4 cymbals on a single stand because;
1. I don't play that many cymbals
2. I don't have that many clamps

But, with the 3 cymbals I use now on that stand, it's basically the weight of about 4-5 "regular" cymbals (or about 10-12 if you're thinking splashes).

I'm with Caddy here (as always, it seems). I play out a ton, and it's usually single-braced stands that I'm using to mount multiple cymbals, or toms and cymbals, etc. I've never had a problem.

Hi all

I want to buy a new boomstand from Yamaha, and am doubting between the single braced and double braced. I'm currently using a very old single braced yamaha stand and that works fine for me.....but I don't know how the new ones are.

So....please tell me your experience......considering quality, weight, stability.

Thanks
Well, all I can tell you about is MY experiences. At one time many years ago, I used the Ludwig HERCULES line of stands, BIG HUGE HEAVY stands that I could have used to plumb my home. They were AWESOME until I had to pack them up at the end of the night and try to move them into the van. After some time went by I started using the Ludwig 1400 series, their SMALLEST series of stands and I've never looked back.

I'm not a thrash player but I'm no wimp either and I don't have any problem with things falling over. There are single braced stands made today (like the Gibraltar "8600 Series" or the slightly more robust "JZ Series" stands) that are better and stronger than the 25 year old Ludwig 1440's I'm still using, but STILL won't break your back when moving them. I'm sure with the wider stance and the higher reach they provide you shouldn't have any problems with placing the cymbal right where you need it, and keeping it there.

Last edited:
I went back to single braced stands myself a few months ago.

I have a few sets of heavy duty hardware, and it's all great, but I just got sick of hauling it.

I went with DW's single braced 7700 stands.

All the same features of the heavy stuff, with smaller tubing.
They cost me $70 a piece.

http://dwdrums.com/hardware/7700.htm

Base is 1"
Middle is 3/4"
Top is 5/8 for the boom fitting, or 1/2 for the straight.

BUT, like Caddy said about "the weight and spread at the bottom is what keeps the stand stable", these single braced stands have it covered.

I can use 21" crash cymbals up pretty high, and play them with any force I want and the stand barely moves--even with the legs not out all the way.

I don't use the cymbals up that high, I just tested it out that way (but I do use a 21" crash).
I am able to have 10" mini hats, and a 19" crash boomed off on this stand as well without any wobble too.

crashcloseoutside.jpg

I have full confidence in this single braced hardware to hold anything I have, last many years...and to not break my back :).

DW's flat base stand holds my 24" med ride with no problem too...

The nice thing about Yamaha stands is that it doenst matter (until a certain level offcourse) that it doesnt matter what you putiing on a single braced (600 or 700 series) stand.

I had on my tripple WS770 stand a 16'' and 14'' tom and crash or 16'' or 14'' tom and 17'' crash and 20'' ride.

Also I had a setup wich was more percussive with a snare, barchimes, cowbell, tambourine, triggermodule, triggerpad and it was still sturdy.

Thats one of the reasons Im playing Yamaha.

Im still using the single braced stands for my Hipgig setup and perucssive setups together with the Hexrack for the big set-up.

I went back to single braced stands myself a few months ago.

I have a few sets of heavy duty hardware, and it's all great, but I just got sick of hauling it.

I went with DW's single braced 7700 stands.

All the same features of the heavy stuff, with smaller tubing.
They cost me $70 a piece.

http://dwdrums.com/hardware/7700.htm

Base is 1"
Middle is 3/4"
Top is 5/8 for the boom fitting, or 1/2 for the straight.

BUT, like Caddy said about "the weight and spread at the bottom is what keeps the stand stable", these single braced stands have it covered.

I can use 21" crash cymbals up pretty high, and play them with any force I want and the stand barely moves--even with the legs not out all the way.

I don't use the cymbals up that high, I just tested it out that way (but I do use a 21" crash).
I am able to have 10" mini hats, and a 19" crash boomed off on this stand as well without any wobble too.

crashcloseoutside.jpg

I have full confidence in this single braced hardware to hold anything I have, last many years...and to not break my back :).

DW's flat base stand holds my 24" med ride with no problem too...

Very interesting thanks!!
I wonder: what system do you use for your X-hat? That looks a very nice system, and I'm looking for a X-hat stand myself.

The nice thing about Yamaha stands is that it doenst matter (until a certain level offcourse) that it doesnt matter what you putiing on a single braced (600 or 700 series) stand.

I had on my tripple WS770 stand a 16'' and 14'' tom and crash or 16'' or 14'' tom and 17'' crash and 20'' ride.

Also I had a setup wich was more percussive with a snare, barchimes, cowbell, tambourine, triggermodule, triggerpad and it was still sturdy.

Thats one of the reasons Im playing Yamaha.

Im still using the single braced stands for my Hipgig setup and perucssive setups together with the Hexrack for the big set-up.

So, what do you think: 600 or 700series? (the 600series seem a bit too light to me...but I can be mistaken....)

I prefere Double braced Hardware. but my kit is stationary and iam getting another to cart around but... its nice to know you can properly trust your hardware

just my opinion:)....

Back