Colored Cymbal Felts?

Kaleta

I love the look of colored cymbal felts. Anyone know how to make them or where to buy them? I tryed spray paint, but that didn't work. Any ideas?

This might be a little dated of a thread, but I want to add my thoughts on Cympads. For me, I pick my cymbals based on their sound and tone - especially overtones and wash. If I wanted to change that, I would have a different cymbal.

For me, the Cympads remove some of the lower frequencies and wash. This is probably a good thing for some metal mixtures and some basic low-cost packages, but I really love the cymbal sound that I get from a basic felt.

Yes, it's all subjective, but I try not to alter the color of the sound that I wanted in the first place. I think it is a cool product that might open up some of the clang from some brands I've heard and make them better.

I jumped on these Cympads as soon as I saw them, hoping it would solve the age-old problem of felts not being completely flat/even and the angle of a cymbal changing when the cymbal and felt rotate. Turned out it was even worse with the Cympads. The foam is almost like memory foam. When your cymbal is angled, the pad gets compressed on the side towards which the cymbal is angled. Much more so than a felt. So then when your cymbal and the pad rotate while playing, the cymbal gets angled in all kinds of weird directions. It was pretty disastrous.
I've now figured out that DW felts are the most consistently flat and most durable.
Anyway, here's where you can get the colored felts: http://2112online.com/newstore/parts/stand-parts/2112-colored-cymbal-stand-felts

Cool thread! I actually have an idea for a "color scheme" for my setup and these colored felts would be an awesome detail or accent piece! Thanks for the heads up.

I jumped on these Cympads as soon as I saw them, hoping it would solve the age-old problem of felts not being completely flat/even and the angle of a cymbal changing when the cymbal and felt rotate. Turned out it was even worse with the Cympads. The foam is almost like memory foam. When your cymbal is angled, the pad gets compressed on the side towards which the cymbal is angled. Much more so than a felt. So then when your cymbal and the pad rotate while playing, the cymbal gets angled in all kinds of weird directions. It was pretty disastrous.

I've found this to be true as well. To me it also seems the cympads enable the cymbal to spin around more easily than with regular felts, and it's bloody irritating. The cympads are okay as a top "felt", but even so, I find myself preferring normal felts.

you can try using a airbrush to color your felts. the ink is water soluble, so once its on the felt it shouldn't transfer to the cymbal. and if it does, just use water to clean it off. but you only need to color the area that are visible.

or you might even apply the ink directly on/into the felts. it might harded up alittle once it dries, but that way it can empregnate the material.

Excuse if I'm reviving and old thread:

I've now figured out that DW felts are the most consistently flat and most durable.
Anyway, here's where you can get the colored felts: http://2112online.com/newstore/parts/stand-parts/2112-colored-cymbal-stand-felts

Steve Smith, Thomas Lang, Antonio Sánchez, Stacey Lamont Sydnor, Rich Redmond, Nate Morton, Gordon Campbell, Tony Braunagel, Brendan Buckley, Roland Garcia, Taku Hirano, Pete Lockett, Dave Mattacks, Sammy Merendino, Stephen Perkins, Felix Pollard, Toto Oznantek, Stanley Randolph, Walfredo Reyes Jr., Bobby Rondinelli, Swiss Chris. They are all excellent, professional drummers ¿ok? So, ¿are they using or were they using a piece of equipment that is wrong, useless or doesn't function?
Good question ¿uh?

I suppose this is a cool look, but can you see these colored cymbal pads from far away? I think if you wanted to color coordinate something everyone can see, you'd get colorized rubber feet for all your stands ;)

Back