Getting a new drum set on a tight budget

lukec99

Hi there! I am looking for suggestions on getting a new kit. Right now I have a Tama Imperialstar and decided it would be better to move on from that entry-level kit. I have a budget of about $600-750 (assuming I can sell the Imperialstar for at least $400). I'm guessing the best idea would be to buy a 4-piece that is good quality; but my main dilemma is whether to buy new or used. I can buy something like a Tama Silverstar Jazz or Street, or a Gretsch Catalina Club new for about $650 or even less. However, I also found a Tama Starclassic 4-piece for $600 on guitar center used, and starclassic is clearly the better drumset though the low price is kind of throwing me off. Another option I've heard is to buy a cheaper shell pack like the Sonor Safari for about $350, selling the snare from that set and buying a nice snare. So, what should I do? Thanks!

The reason the price on the Starclassic kit is throwing you off, is that you are comparing the price of used pro level kit to prices of new lower level kits. You are also learning about the current state of the used market. Guys can now go out and buy brand new (decently made) intermediate level kits, such as Yamaha Stage Custom. So, if someone's budget is $700 and a new kit is desired, its now possible to get nice quality kits at that price point. This dynamic has helped depress the prices of pro quality used kits. And, there are tons of those for sale, as you can note if you are looking at the GC used site. There are a number of kits like Tama Starclassic, Pearl Sessions, etc that can be had at low prices. And the supply of those is also helping to keep the prices low.

So, I think you need to ask yourself why you are wanting a new kit and what you hope to achieve with the new kit. For me, I wouldn't want to move from your current kit to some of the choices you mention. I'd rather go to a used, better quality kit. If you are skeptical about the condition of a used kit, call the store and get more details. Ask about specifics. Are there any cracks, scratches, bearing edge issues? If you buy a kit from a place like GC and its not up to the description, I assume you could return it. You can also try to buy local in your area, so you can preview a kit before you agree to buy.

If I were you, I'd try to save some additional funds and get a better quality kit. If you are relying on selling your current kit for XXX number of dollars, try to sell the kit first and see what kind of offers you get. That way, you have a better idea about what you're working with.

Yamaha 100% Birch Bebop kit similar size to the safari and catalina! 400 brand new and its a killer kit, Yamaha quality and it comes in different laquers so no wraps (bleh) hah
also for that range id check out some stuff from crush or ddrum, not HUGE companies but they make great stuff! If you plan on sellin your kit you have now and adding that to the budget then the door opens really wide, you could find some REALLY nice used kits on GC with that budget

The Starclassic you are looking at is likely a performer, which is their birch Starclassic line. 400-500 bucks for a 5 piece is about right in todays market. They are great drums, but I am admittedly a bit of a Tama fanboy.

My question is, what year did you get the Imperialstars? At one point they were high level kits and guys like Stewart Copeland and Lars Ulrich were playing and endorsing them. I would seriously consider what you are looking for in a new kit. You likely have a fine kit that will do everything you need it to do. Maybe a really nice snare and some new hardware is all you need to have a great kit.

I used to have one of those 100% Birch Starclassic Performer kits. Very nice drums. If they are in good condition, I would definitely get those. I know I paid a whole lot more for them new some years back.

are including hardware, cymbals etc. in your budget? are you keeping yours and if so, is your shell pack really worth that much? id say slow down, save more money and buy a higher end used kit.

I have to agree, go 2nd hand/used. If you concentrate on quality of wood/plies/staves, construction and to a lesser extent finish you will not have to upgrade or change drums for along time. Hardware and cymbals may be changed out as you move along your drumming life. If you are going to be gigging then a few marks here and there should not be a deal breaker- just ensure the sound is to your liking. When I started out I agonised over switching to a quality used kit. This used kit lasted 10 yrs of gigs played everywhere week on week.

.... I'm guessing the best idea would be to buy a 4-piece that is good quality ..... buy new or used. Tama Silverstar Jazz or Street, or a Gretsch Catalina Club ,,,,, Tama Starclassic 4-piece for $600 on guitar center used .... Sonor Safari for about $350, selling the snare from that set and buying a nice snare
I'd go with the used Tama Starclassic. Like others have said ..... it's probably the birch kit, and those are really good kits.​

are including hardware, cymbals etc. in your budget? are you keeping yours and if so, is your shell pack really worth that much? id say slow down, save more money and buy a higher end used kit.

I actually upgraded my cymbals pretty recently. I was planning on keeping the hardware since it works fine. Now that i think about it the drums alone probably wouldn't be worth more than $300 so maybe I should just wait a bit since I'm not in a hurry at all. Thanks for your suggestion!

Back