Ever been called a hipster?

Armor of Light

I'm 47, and this engineering intern asks me what I'm listening to. So..I tell him. It was Bob Mould I think. Now, I've talked to enough kids (sorry..young adults) to know that most of them have never heard of Rush or Deep Purple, let alone Bob Mould.

So he laughs and calls me a hipster.

I had to look up on the internets what a hipster is, and I did find some similarities!

Single speed bike (avid MTB'er...had a SS since '04)
Vinyl LP's (never got rid of them..always liked them)
Obscure musical taste (C'mon we're drummers)
Retro style glasses (I have them, but as a tribute to engineers of the past)
Ironic T-shirts (again..we're drummers so funny amusing t-shirts have always been cool)

I don't know what to do now. I can't have people thinking I'm trying to be a hipster at my age now can I?

I write poetry and wear black all the time so I get called emo all the time. Long bangs and that taste in music doesn't help much I suppose.

Whoa whoa whoa I'm 19 (young adult) and I think Deep Purple is one of the best bands ever. But being called a hipster is no big deal. Do you remember how a while ago it was big to call everything gay. This is the samething. It's no big deal. Plus if it's a kid calling you one who cares. But to answer your question no I haven't been called a hipster.

I'm called a hipster jokingly by my singer, my favorite bands are Japanther, Jay Reatard, Dune Rats, I also listen to vinyl and cassette. I don't have the sense of superiority that hipsters tend to have though. I do love well known bands though, Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Black Keys, and so many others.

At this point all and everyone can be called a hipster.

"Oh you listen to Rush the insanely popular prog band from Canada that's in the Rock and Roll Hall of fame? wow, I've never heard of them because they aren't on the radio everyday, you must be a hipster!"

So yeah, I guess you could say that.

There's a label on everything these days. If you like something, you apparently fall into this grand stereotype. Granted, in some cases that's true. The Screamo / Emo music scene has been on the rise, bringing an entire generation of teen boys who dress like girls, teen girls who are bisexual and Atheist, and listen to dubstep. And these kids came out of nowhere - When I was 18 there were a hand full of them, and now at 23 they're everywhere.
I hope the trend dies before my daughter reaches that age.

I had to look up on the internets what a hipster is.

I don't know what to do now. I can't have people thinking I'm trying to be a hipster at my age now can I?

I was just going to say I don't know what one is. Thank you for helping.

No, you don't want to be trying to be anything, at any age, but if you can do it without trying then what the hell.

Nope, but I've been called a hippie. In truth, I'm closer to a hip replacement than being a hipster or hippie.

That made me laff.

Guess that's better than being called "Old man" or an 'Old fart". I get that... a lot. I'm 48.

I dream of being down wid da kidz.

Oh wait - no I don't, that's my worst nightmare. I've been an old fart since the age of 12, I reckon. Wouldn't have it any other way.

For the first time, yesterday, it was implied I eat hipster food because I use kale to make green smoothies in the morning.

Humph! I've never been hip!

I have to confess that I don't understand why the term is used as a perjorative - since when did it become uncool to always be looking to push the art (any art) forward? Some people are driven by the new and novel. It's like how many times can you hear the same joke and still think it's funny? (depends on the joke :)

No accounting for taste, I guess.

Oh, and I've never been accused of being a hipster but I doubt I would be offended, though perhaps I will be now ;-)

For the first time, yesterday, it was implied I eat hipster food because I use kale to make green smoothies in the morning.

If that is one of the qualifications, I think I'm safe! lol

I did have kale, chard, and bok choy in a soup the other day, though...

But no, I've never been called a hipster.

Last edited:

If that is one of the qualifications, I think I'm safe! lol

I did have kale, chard, and bok chow in a soup the other day, though...

But no, I've never been called a hipster.

Kale is actually one of the devil's vegetables. DO NOT USE.

The others are celery and Brussels sprouts.

If you use any of the above then, quite frankly, you deserve every shred of opprobrium that you receive. Ychafi.

If you use any of the above then, quite frankly, you deserve every shred of opprobrium that you receive. Ychafi.

My wife made me eat it, lol!

Well, I guess all those years of listening to Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Type O Negative aren't in vein.

Once on my bands was found listed on a Christian website of band you shouldn't let your kids listen to. Quite hilarious.

Devils food. Got it.

I see the term hipster as a slightly positive thing, not negative. What is the difference between a hipster and a hippie? They sound very different. Like hipster can span a bigger time. You can be a jazzer and be a hipster, or you can be a classic rock guy and still be a hipster. A blues guy can certainly be a hipster. So it's less pigeonholed I think. But I could be totally wrong as usual. If you're a hippy, then you only had 4 or 5 years where hippies were trendy.

Recently the leader of my trio and I were called "2 OG's" by a dude passerby on the street. We thought it meant 2 old guys lol, but my 21 YO son informed me that they meant original gangsters. Now where that term came from I'm at a loss, not sure if he is even right, and I certainly don't feel like anything resembling a gangster. My bandleader is a lot more haggard looking than me with the whole chicken neck skin thing going on and he's pretty tall, so I think they were referring to him more than me (I hope).

But yea hipster. Not a derogatory thing, more like a calling it like it is thing. Like being a musician is a requirement for being a hipster. But you can be a hippy without being a musician.

My wife made me eat it, lol!

Blame the woman. I would, if I were you. If I were brave enough ;)

Well, I guess all those years of listening to Black Sabbath, Ozzy and Type O Negative aren't in vein.

Once on my bands was found listed on a Christian website of band you shouldn't let your kids listen to. Quite hilarious.

Devils food. Got it.

Brilliant!

Mini-Madge cautioned me against embarrassing her in front of one of her lecturers. God forgive me, but I asked her "How do you think you can stop me?"

To my eternal credit, I smiled.

I am now very, VERY compensating.

Blame the woman. I would, if I were you. If I were brave enough ;)

Haha, I thought that might raise a chuckle. Or ridicule. Doesn't matter which, since I'm still the class clown, 30+ years out of school. :)

In all honestly, she made the soup but didn't force me to eat it. And it wasn't too bad.

But where is the joke in that?

Now, what were we talking about???

Oh yes. Kale.

I see the term hipster as a slightly positive thing, not negative. What is the difference between a hipster and a hippie? They sound very different. Like hipster can span a bigger time. You can be a jazzer and be a hipster, or you can be a classic rock guy and still be a hipster. A blues guy can certainly be a hipster. So it's less pigeonholed I think. But I could be totally wrong as usual. If you're a hippy, then you only had 4 or 5 years where hippies were trendy.

Recently the leader of my trio and I were called "2 OG's" by a dude passerby on the street. We thought it meant 2 old guys lol, but my 21 YO son informed me that they meant original gangsters. Now where that term came from I'm at a loss, not sure if he is even right, and I certainly don't feel like anything resembling a gangster. My bandleader is a lot more haggard looking than me with the whole chicken neck skin thing going on and he's pretty tall, so I think they were referring to him more than me (I hope).

But yea hipster. Not a derogatory thing, more like a calling it like it is thing. Like being a musician is a requirement for being a hipster. But you can be a hippy without being a musician.

OG is a west coast originated term

commonly referring to the west coast 70s gangsta life style.....which later Snoop and the Dog Pound revived and re popularized in the early 90s with the laid back style and classic Cadillacs and what not

you will find a lot of those OG cats sitting on the front porch with the oldies station on.

the term was popularized nationally by Ice T's 1991 album entitled OG Original Gangster

Back