DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:18 PM

Default I am researching the rudiments and need credible resources...

Hi guys, I wonder if you could help me. I'm doing some research on a few areas surrounding the rudiments.

I'm looking at the history of the rudiments, the development of the rudiments since they first became a standard drummers tool.

I'm also looking to propose an argument for and against the use of the rudiments in popular music throughout the years. - Are they important or not in the modern day drummers 'vocabulary'?

I'd love to hear your feedback, but I'd also love to find some credible sources of information such as books, journals, websites etc, if anyone has any to spare, or knows where I can get some that would be much appreciated. Any information on the rudiments etc would be amazing.

I will be creating a questionnaire pretty soon to see what people's reactions are to the rudiments etc, - If I get enough people helping out with information, I will be happy to publish my results. These results can be great for anyone who teaches, or wishes to learn to play the drums.

Also if anyone knows of any person/people who may be interested in helping out with this research please forward them on to me.

Many thanks,

Graeme Peters
graeme262@hotmail.com
Old 11-16-2012, 04:50 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I am researching the rudiments and need credible resources...

I strongly suggest you spend some time at rudimentaldrumming.com. Some of the heavies in the corps world frequent the site and there is a wealth of resource material available. Rick Beckham (yes, THAT Rick Beckham) runs the site and he's one of many who frequent the site's forum, so you have a great audience to ask questions of.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Thanks very much 8Mile. I've just had a quick look and it looks like It's going to be very helpful!

Again, if you or anyone else knows of any more, please feel free to pass it on.

Thanks,

Graeme
Old 11-16-2012, 05:04 PM

Hey there, how are you?

I can't offer any credible sources, wanted to to just give my perspective on the question regarding rudidments.

I don't think it's a case of if rudiments are important or not for a drummers vocabulary, because they are, for want of a better phrase; an inevitability, there is no way of avoiding them to my mind. They're the mechanics, how we go about playing music, there's no other way of getting around it. Everything we do is made up of two rudiments in different combinations; the single stroke roll and the double stroke roll. Each rudiment has it's use for one drummer or another and are important, it depends entirley on what that drummer wants to express.

As to their context in popular music, there are no rules within musical expression; popular music is made up of thousands of different artists that are stylistically different from each other and it's an artform that constantly changes. Take two examples within popular music: Lady Gaga and Green Day. They're both completley different sounding artists with different rhythms used within their music, using different rudiments. The rudiments each drummer chooses to use are equally as important because they allow those drummers to express their musical ideas.

I may have completley misunderstood the question so apologies if my response is confusing in any way!

Hope you're well,

Kev

Edit: I guess to summarise, my answer is: it's hard to create a measure of what is deemed important or not, because there are no set rules of expression within popular music.

Edit 2: Fantastic question though! It's got the ol' cogs whirring away.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Platinum Member

The yes or no to rudiments is a funny type question. It sort of relates to anoher typical question about whether to learn to read music or not. The no crowd tends to not even have a concept of what they're missing out on.

Now, how to learn, practice and utilize them, that's a different story. They can be played a million ways and in thir basic form they are to me a scale or a basic lick to take as a concept to expand upon. You'll cover more with an accent sheat and a few sticking combinations and I prefer that way to gain more freedom, just like I practice different note groupings on melodic instruments.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:41 PM

Hi K. Howden,

Thanks so much for your reply. I agree that there's a degree of stigma around this subject and some people either look into it far too much, or they don't look into it at all. I think it's because there are some people who brush it aside, and there are people who are strong believers in the rudiments that the argument is formed. Not because there is any real substance to the argument.

The reason I'm asking is because I'm studying music performance at university, and currently doing my honours year where I have to write a Dissertation. As a keen drummer (I mostly play in Pipebands, but also play the kit) I'm really interested in learning more about the rudiments and people's perspective of them. Therefore I'm looking to try to find some ideas to look into about the rudiments.

So far, a few of the ideas that I've had are, analysing scores from around the world such as the Swiss - Basel Trommeln, French - Napoleonic, Scottish Pipeband, and American Traditional/Modern styles, to see how the rudiments have developed historically and to see how they have changed and been implemented in each respective style throughout the world.

I've also thought about analysing the impact of the rudiments in popular western music to see if they really have an impact or not to the modern day drummer. Obviously that is quite a vague subject as there are so many different styles/genre's etc but I plan to narrow it down when I find out how much information I can get on each area.

I may also start to interview and analyse some drummers' individual styles to see how they have developed their style of playing etc.

If you (or anyone else) can think of any ways for me to narrow down/focus my research, I'd appreciate that so much. Also, any other areas of interest you can think of would be brilliant!

Thanks alot,

Graeme
Old 11-16-2012, 05:48 PM

Might be something here . . . .

http://www.pas.org/index.aspx
Old 11-16-2012, 09:32 PM

You're welcome Graeme.

Ahh, I understand where you're coming from with the question now. I'll have a ponder and get back to you on it.

When it comes to learning and using new rudiments, I've always taken the "I'll learn what I need at present" type approach. It's usually sparked by hearing something in my head that I can't exceute with my current knowledge. It's at that point that I start to gather reference materials and practice new things, it'll then be a year perhaps, or more, of interalising it and applying it musically and really exploring the possibilities.

The past three or four years I've really focused on the diddle family, looking at them individually, applying them to the point where I can string various ruidments or partials of those rudiments together to form melodic phrases that I'm hearing in my head at a subconcious level.

I Hope you're having a great start to the weekend,

Kev