DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 PM

Default I'm a drummer...again

I started playing guitar in 1996 when I was 14 years old and still play to this day I started playing drums in 1997 and quit around 2000. I just finally got another drum set 13 years later. Believe it or not I'm actually pretty good. Should i just keep practicing the drums with music i know or should i start with the basics? drum lessons, rudiments?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: I'm a drummer...again

You should........do whatever you want to do.

Some people enjoy learning control and rudiments. Others enjoy playing along with music. A combination of both would be good.

Personally, I spend no real time with stick control and rudiments. I just like to play. Playing with my band mates is the most enjoyable but I still like to just sit down and bang on the drums, with or without accompaniment.

Now, turn off the computer and go play!! :)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoochies A7X View Post
I started playing guitar in 1996 when I was 14 years old and still play to this day I started playing drums in 1997 and quit around 2000. I just finally got another drum set 13 years later. Believe it or not I'm actually pretty good. Should i just keep practicing the drums with music i know or should i start with the basics? drum lessons, rudiments?
If I were you I would first, make sure I was serious and committed before shelling out dough for lessons and gear.

Lessons are just that- lessons. They'll only help you grow. No harm in doing them all at the same time.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM

I already bought a tama imperial star drum set. Just put Evans heads on too. I pretty much just plug my iPod into my bass guitar amp and drum along. I actually feel like I'm doing really well. I don't really mind the money part as no matter what I want a bad ass setup at home for jamming. Just need people. I find practicing more fun with music than without.