DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:14 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default I have a problem with different opinions

Dear forum members,

I wanted to sincerely express my dismal when my eyes come across other people's posts which don't suit my personal taste 100%.

Now to stop this awful situation I have decided to close this thread.

I'm sure you all understand.

Sincerely

Arky

[Damn... how to close a thread?? Oh no - others might post - what am I in for?? Do I have a problem? Do I need to see a psychiatrist? No please!!]
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:20 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages.

I would provide a critique but some threads are not open to discussion, apparently.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:23 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

It's kindergarden time again folks. For the record Arky, your kit finish is nothing short of awful. Sorry, just being honest! :)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Arky's Avatar
Arky Arky is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,027
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Let me think it over... Do I give a damn? [*thinkingoverthinkingover*] - No. It has to please... ME.

But it's remarkable who couldn't keep himself from posting, haha. My recommendation with seeing a psycho curer was damn honest, too. Solve your problem, spare hundreds others bothering with your views.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
It's kindergarden time again folks. For the record Arky, your kit finish is nothing short of awful. Sorry, just being honest! :)
Talking of "kindergarden". This, posted a few minutes ago on another thread, & all I said was I preferred the look of Mapex Meridian badges to Mapex Saturn badges. Yes folks, that's all it took to release this tirade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
Beautiful stuff! I really like the look of your kits. Much less bulky than the GURU offerings I have seen around here of late. I also like that you will stain things to the customers request, unlike GURU. It is fine to get a tiny bit more resonance out of a kit, but not at the expense of ruining the look of the drum shell. I will definitely look you up when the time comes!
Glen, really, you're capable of being bigger than this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:33 PM
MrPockets's Avatar
MrPockets MrPockets is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,105
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

I like to be blunt with comments http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...824#post971824
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:41 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Talking of "kindergarden". This, posted a few minutes ago on another thread, & all I said was I preferred the look of Mapex Meridian badges to Mapex Saturn badges. Yes folks, that's all it took to release this tirade.



Glen, really, you're capable of being bigger than this.
Aren't we all. Just bring honest tactfully! What about the tirade you and your buddies just released. Funny how you turn your head when it's them.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
BacteriumFendYoke
This message has been deleted by BacteriumFendYoke.
  #8  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:47 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
Aren't we all. Just bring honest tactfully! What about the tirade you and your buddies just released. Funny how you turn your head when it's them.
So, someone else annoys you, & you decide to take it out on me. Just for everyone else's consumption here, please identify & quote exactly what I've said to annoy you, other than stating I prefer Mapex Meridian badges to Mapex Saturn badges. Just one example where I've said something so bad that you think it's fine to malign my business publicly.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:53 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
No Glen, it's different.

What you have posted in the 'Unix' thread is actually just insulting. It's not a dissenting opinion, it's unwarranted and off-topic denigration of Andy's drums - which by the way are fabulous. When the 'Prototype' kit was posted, plenty of people spoke about the challenging aesthetics and that's absolutely not a problem. The same with Saturn badges - they aren't to everyone's taste. When it's relevant to the discussion (e.g. a Mapex thread) it might be mentioned.

You're welcome not to like the way Andy's drums look but you really don't get it do you?

I'm not sure Andy would ever want you as a customer anyway, so I doubt it's much of a loss to him (apologies for speaking on your behalf there Andy).
Guess that makes two of us. Take off the glasses and you will see.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-09-2012, 02:59 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
So, someone else annoys you, & you decide to take it out on me. Just for everyone else's consumption here, please identify & quote exactly what I've said to annoy you, other than stating I prefer Mapex Meridian badges to Mapex Saturn badges. Just one example where I've said something so bad that you think it's fine to malign my business publicly.
How many times have you maligned me personally on this forum. Too many to count. The latest one was calling me a " corrosive idiot". The only time I was mean to you was in a PM, which is far more manly. I even offered for you to call me last night to work this out, but you were too busy.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:03 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
Guess that makes two of us. Take off the glasses and you will see.
No Glen, it doesn't make two of us. I think the reply you've quoted Duncan on is entirely reasonable. There's nothing personally insulting in Duncan's reply. Juxtaposition that with your direct attack on my business = apples to oranges.

I also notice you've not taken up my challenge to accurately sight what I've said to upset you. I know why you haven't taken up that challenge, it's because I haven't said anything that will stand up to balance scrutiny.

Yet again, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, & yet again, you've proven to be very hard work, & a distraction I could well do without. I also happen to think you're a distraction this forum could do without, but that's not my call. You've stated you're happy living in the Pearl Drummers Forum. It's obvious to me that you're not happy here. Such a shame - really.

I've looked over every post you've made in the last few days, & every response to those posts. On every occasion where you've got upset at someone's response, it's because you've fired in on the defensive first.

I suggest you buy a mirror, & study it hard. Enough Glen, enough.

Edit, just read your post below. The one time I referred to you as a corrosive idiot, was after you had already issued MULTIPLE insults by PM, & on threads, & openly bosted about your ability to get members banned from this forum. The reason I referred to you as a corrosive idiot, is because that's exactly how you were behaving, & exactly the direction you're headed in right now.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:06 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Calling me a corrosive idiot isn't enough. You should of been a politician, or lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:14 PM
moretulife
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Remember how you used to say how my Saturn talk poisoned every thread. Well guess what, you do the same thing with Guru and stave construction. This is not your work place. I don't want to hear how much better stave and steam bent drums are better than ply drums every day on a public forum. I got the point. Now it's your turn.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:25 PM
Lunar Satellite Brian's Avatar
Lunar Satellite Brian Lunar Satellite Brian is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 436
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

I think the entire premises of this thread is ridiculous and I disagree with it 100%

I think it's good when people disagree with me.

If anyone dares agree with me they better think again.
__________________
Musicz
Youtube
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunar Satellite Brian View Post
I think the entire premises of this thread is ridiculous and I disagree with it 100%

I think it's good when people disagree with me.

If anyone dares agree with me they better think again.
It's a thread based on sarcasm.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:44 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
Calling me a corrosive idiot isn't enough. You should of been a politician, or lawyer.
No, facts. At that time, your presence on this forum was corrosive, & just as now, you're being an idiot. The real shame is, you're being an idiot to yourself. The damage element in this, is that people lurking, who may be thinking of joining this fine forum, are reading stuff like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
Remember how you used to say how my Saturn talk poisoned every thread. Well guess what, you do the same thing with Guru and stave construction. This is not your work place. I don't want to hear how much better stave and steam bent drums are better than ply drums every day on a public forum. I got the point. Now it's your turn.
Get your facts right, stave is not the only construction we do, & if you don't want to look in, don't click on the thread. You have an "ignore" button you can use, suits me just fine. If I ever felt my contribution here was unwelcome, then that's an easy call for me to make. As I've stated before, if you look at the totality of my post subjects here, you'll find that the majority of my involvement has nothing to do with Guru drums.

Frankly, if I have to put up with you constantly climbing out of your pushchair every time I visit this forum, it's simply not worth my while being here.

I notice you still haven't identified what I said to upset you this time round. You come up with history stuff, but you don't answer the question/provide evidence relating to this latest tiresome spat. There isn't any reason for this outburst that stands scrutiny, & you know it.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:45 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,331
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Am I the only one in the dark here? Is moretolife, Sticksfordrums?
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
keep it simple
This message has been deleted by keep it simple.
  #18  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:51 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Am I the only one in the dark here? Is moretolife, Sticksfordrums?
That he is indeed J.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-09-2012, 03:53 PM
longgun's Avatar
longgun longgun is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,423
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Am I the only one in the dark here? Is moretolife, Sticksfordrums?
I think so.............
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,125
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Personally, I like when people fight. It's real. It serves a purpose. I don't like it when threads get closed because of people getting personal. Sometimes it's a healthy thing to blow off steam in a safe place. This is a safe place. Members are separated by hundreds of miles. They are just words. Actions are a whole nother story. That crosses major lines. Anything short of actions, meaning just words, against another is OK in my book. They're just words. We are all adults here, right?

I was getting kind of bored with the threads here in the last 2 weeks. Me, I like the color Glen brings. It's the ones who let him get to them that I don't understand. It takes 2 to tango. If a known instigator instigates, and another person picks up that ball and hurls it back, who is to blame here? Glen makes a trap, one we've seen many times before, and people continue to willingly enter into it.

I hope Glen doesn't get banned again. The place is a lot more fun with him in it. He represents a faction of people that are a part of this society. I think that anyone who lets Glen upset them needs to get past that, and instead, accept the fact that Glen is Glen. Hey maybe some people have a need to fight and Glen is the perfect sparring partner. I think that's OK too. There's no making Glen think like anyone other than Glen, so why bother? In my work, when I can't change something that isn't to my liking, I just learn to accept it, and adapt myself to work around it. That needs to be done here. Oil and water don't mix, never will, just be happy we have both.

I like that Glen always has to have 3 syllables to his handle. Hey Glen did you plan it that way or is it just coincidental?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:30 PM
GruntersDad's Avatar
GruntersDad GruntersDad is offline
Administrator - Mayor
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gulf Coast Seminole, Florida
Posts: 22,331
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

To me it's the same as typing in all caps. Who was the dumbell that decided that this was shouting on the internet. I have great hearing for an old man and I don't hear caps any louder than lower case letters. Being called a troll, a member of the in-crowd, being in a clique, etc etc etc doesnt bother me. I just wish if someone was going to try and insult me they would come up with something original. Even type it in CAPS. I will get over it. Once you let go of mommies apron strings and come up out of her basement your skin will start to thicken. As for Glen, we all know he was abused as a child and Mapex makes him feel good. But really, we don't need any stinking badges.
__________________
Johnny. Pictured left to right, Bermuda, Weird Al, Grunt.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:33 PM
SticksEasy's Avatar
SticksEasy SticksEasy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern US
Posts: 354
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Personally, I like when people fight. It's real. It serves a purpose. I don't like it when threads get closed because of people getting personal. Sometimes it's a healthy thing to blow off steam in a safe place. This is a safe place. Members are separated by hundreds of miles. They are just words. Actions are a whole nother story. That crosses major lines. Anything short of actions, meaning just words, against another is OK in my book. They're just words. We are all adults here, right?

I was getting kind of bored with the threads here in the last 2 weeks. Me, I like the color Glen brings. It's the ones who let him get to them that I don't understand. It takes 2 to tango. If a known instigator instigates, and another person picks up that ball and hurls it back, who is to blame here? Glen makes a trap, one we've seen many times before, and people continue to willingly enter into it.

I hope Glen doesn't get banned again. The place is a lot more fun with him in it. He represents a faction of people that are a part of this society. I think that anyone who lets Glen upset them needs to get past that, and instead, accept the fact that Glen is Glen. Hey maybe some people have a need to fight and Glen is the perfect sparring partner. I think that's OK too. There's no making Glen think like anyone other than Glen, so why bother? In my work, when I can't change something that isn't to my liking, I just learn to accept it, and adapt myself to work around it. That needs to be done here. Oil and water don't mix, never will, just be happy we have both.

I like that Glen always has to have 3 syllables to his handle. Hey Glen did you plan it that way or is it just coincidental?
What gets to me about these forums is the people who get jumped over an honest mistake. They may make a simple typo, or type a word wrong, and they get jumped on by four or five guys, who for some reason, THINK they have a right to put someone on the spot.

I don't care how many opinions are different from mine - I can respect every preference as long as it isn't something completely off the damn wall, I'm pretty open minded. But when I ask a question about something, and mention my technique to help recieve a better answer. Rather than getting an answer, I'll just be told that what I'm doing is wrong.

I don't think there should be a place for arrogant and closed minded ass heads on these forums. The rules tell everyone to be respectful to others - and yet I see threads that go on for days when they shoulda' been closed within a few hours of starting.

I Agree - fighting is healthy. But the kind of attitude often displayed here sets a bad example to beginning drummers who may not have a guidance. So I don't think this is the 'Place' to fight about drums. If you want that, go to Youtube. I'd much rather consider each person here a friend, and a member of my 'drummer family.'
__________________
Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn Tiss Uhn
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 PM
Lurker's Avatar
Lurker Lurker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 12
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Can't we all just get along?
__________________
Hmmm What's going on here?

TTNW says this place is cool for lurkers, what say you?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:42 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,594
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

It's a shame that things are falling into the SAME EXACT pattern as the last time.

I play some "out there sizes" in drums and cymbals (more out there a few years ago than now). It seems though the bigger sizes of cymbals have become more popular in the last couple years--but when I started using them, I was the crazy one.
I DIDN'T CARE ONE BIT, if any other drummer in the world liked it at all.

I'd get the "why are you using that??...X would be "better"--maybe for YOU but not me. Other drummers aren't the one's that ask you to be in a band, and I was the one other musicians liked the sound of so....

About 19-20 years ago, I once tried asking Elton John's FOH person what he liked about a certain kick mic, because I was intersted in the one they had (D112) for my (at the time) 28" bass drum.
The response I got to the question was , "just get a 20" bass drum". No words about the mic, nothing. The guy totally blew me off because HE thought a 28" bass drum was stupid. Not because he was busy at all, just his attitude towards what I was using.

I was like "f*k that, I love that drum. HE'S the one with the issue, not me".

People have thought my 20x26" bass drums were insane...but Simon Phillips gave me enthusiastic thumbs up on the sound of it, so the nay sayers can piss off, because I have 'cred and the pics to prove it hahahaha! ;-)

I just can't understand how what anyone else thinks about a piece of gear affects anything.
Yet, in these cases, it always seems like it's a personal attack to the very fiber of being if someone mentions they don't care for something.
OK, YOU like it, they don't, move on. What else can you do?

I have Asbergers, and I know what it's like to have your personal sense of justice in a spin, and you can't seem to throw the feeling off. But, this is drum gear we discuss here forcryinoutloud.
A person has to know that it's not THEM (initially in these cases) that is being "attacked" when someone disagrees, or doesn't see things that are "clear as day" to you, but not to anyone else.

The thing that really gets me is that all this stuff seems to ALWAYS have to do with the way a freaking DRUM LOOKS.
It's a THING, only a THING.
A badge is not important. A lug is not important. A throw off is not important. What is "old" to one person, brings up nice nostalgic feelings to another, like a car or something.

I "waited" 36+ years to get my hands on a 6.5 Brushed Aluminum Acrolite. The feeling I had holding something I wanted since I was around 12 was great.

Others could think it looks like a cheap piece of crap, with a total POS throw.
Maybe, but it's MY piece of crap, and when I play it, it doesn't sound like a piece of crap at all....and I changed the throw, which people also have said it's ugly :-)
Sofaking what? I like it, and it's mine.

How we deal with each other IS important, and getting personally offended when someone doesn't care for something-no matter WHERE it's posted--is something that should just be either taken with a grain of salt, blown off, OR not even responded to.

Sorry for being long winded. I love my ACRO. Thanks Larry.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:48 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,594
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I just wish if someone was going to try and insult me they would come up with something original. Even type it in CAPS.
hey man, i don't like you hat at all i could spit nails every time i see that stupid thing




it's opposite day :-/ i'm in all lower case and refuse to use punctuation looser :-(
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:54 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,125
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

I think there are certain parts of the human condition that aren't all nicey nicey. Things like bodily functions, drug use, sex. fighting, and other elements of life that aren't considered ready for prime time. But I don't think they should be swept under the carpet either. Nothing is 100%. If we have 98% nicey nicey stuff here, and 2% not nicey nicey, then I think we are doing pretty good. Glen is a drummer brother. Are we supposed to chuck him out in the cold because he irritates some? Personally I can see what he does from a mile away. Negative attention is still attention, and that's it in a nutshell. Glen needs/wants attention. Nothing wrong there. How he does it...I see right through it, I accept it, and try and work with it. He may have had experiences that many of us haven't. Perhaps if we were subjected to the exact same situations he was, we'd act similarly.

What I don't understand are the ones that get their shorts all in a twist over it. I hate to say it like this but it's like allowing your kids to push your buttons. If you allow your buttons to be pushed, you can't blame the kid, because the kid is not an adult yet. It's the adult that has the responsibility to demonstrate to the kid how well adjusted adults handle sticky situations. Engaging the kid is a pissing contest. Despite all the surface stuff, all the kid really wants is some love, acceptance and attention. It's up to the adults to realize/understand this, to right see through all the negative smokescreen, and offer it up.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:58 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

I like that Glen always has to have 3 syllables to his handle. Hey Glen did you plan it that way or is it just coincidental?
Maybe because he has only one syllable in his real name.

No really, its a personal decision to engage, or not, with anybody on here. I mean c'mon, these are little typing wars. I like to read some of the heated tangle's on here, about opinions, that is interesting....but not something personal.

It requires some discipline to ignore and move on down the thread. In the end, one cannot blame if you engage and get in a tangle.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-09-2012, 04:59 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Larry, you make a great point. In principle I agree with you but I've got to point out that the poster in question is pushing fifty years old. I can't deal with a grown man acting like a child every time his nose is put out of joint. Sure, we all do it but I'm sick and tired of it.

Incidentally, he just got banned again.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:01 PM
TTNW's Avatar
TTNW TTNW is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Posts: 2,010
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Oops. Looks like Glen got banned again.
__________________
Philippe - Eat, Sleep and Drum.. .. it makes for a good weekend.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 20,836
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post

What I don't understand are the ones that get their shorts all in a twist over it. I hate to say it like this but it's like allowing your kids to push your buttons. If you allow your buttons to be pushed, you can't blame the kid, because the kid is not an adult yet.
Larry, I have broad shoulders, & I'm a very accepting person. Glen's insecurities don't bother me, but posting this kind of attacking stuff on someone else's thread, simply because I said something that he disagreed with, is neither funny or childish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moretulife View Post
I really like the look of your kits. Much less bulky than the GURU offerings I have seen around here of late. I also like that you will stain things to the customers request, unlike GURU. It is fine to get a tiny bit more resonance out of a kit, but not at the expense of ruining the look of the drum shell.
He set out to damage my business with this, & that's an intent I can't sit back & take. Rather like your recent thread, where you said you feel duty bound to defend against insulting comments made about drummers by others.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:11 PM
opentune's Avatar
opentune opentune is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 6,193
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post
I've got to point out that the poster in question is pushing fifty years old. I can't deal with a grown man acting like a child every time his nose is put out of joint. Sure, we all do it but I'm sick and tired of it.

Incidentally, he just got banned again.
Then I guess he found "mor tu life" after all lol.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:25 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,125
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

See that make me sad that he is banned. Like he is too much for us to handle. I think Glen forces us to deal with the very hardest parts of getting along. To me it's like trying to learn...say the black page.....it's really hard, (as I'm led to believe) but should we abandon it because it's too difficult? It's the difficult things that we overcome in life that give us the most satisfaction.

Duncan, the part that I don't understand is that Glen had some pretty nasty stuff happen to him as a youth. All I'm saying is that it must have altered him in such a way that it's irreversible, and no matter what his age, that's how he is. Instead of accepting him for how he is, unsavory at times as he might be, instead he is condemned for the changes that being raped did to him. He could not help that. In my mind it's like chastising a veteran of war who lost a leg for not being able to run fast. He really can't help it. His MO is to tweak noses until he gets a rise. I find it entertaining because I don't take it personal. If it was aimed at me, TBH, yes I would get a little miffed up front. But social responsibility and the need to not be dragged down in the muck would prevail fairly quickly. Now if you or Andy or Larry or Steve or Brent or Bob or Jon or Grea or John or Caddy attacked me, I would feel so sad, because I know you guys aren't damaged goods like Glen is. Glen is an exception in my mind. He needs a little extra love than most. I consider him a special needs individual, so some concessions need to be made to stay in harmony.

But like I said before, I like it when 2 people fight. It fills a need. It helps to resolve things. Fighting with words is a healthy thing in my mind. We all have frustration in our lives. If there is no outlet for that frustration, it will take on more sinister forms. Best to just get it out and deal with it like adults.

Andy, he was just tweaking your nose. I don't think he really wants to damage your business. I do understand how you could feel this way though. Glen is a master button pusher, he knows exactly where yours are. Besides, his bullets would just bounce off your Superman chest. You have the best drums in the world and no one can ever change that fact.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:51 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,918
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post

Incidentally, he just got banned again.
So, that makes 6 times, now, that he's had to be "shown the door".
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-09-2012, 05:57 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Larry, I'm going to explain a few things and it's going to get quite personal. I don't expect anybody to read this other than Larry but if you do then please don't take this as me apologising for myself.

The reason I take what Glen does so badly is because I don't see it as a good reason for behaving the way he does. Glen has serious issues arising from his childhood and I have nothing but compassion for him in that regard but using it as an excuse doesn't help him or anybody else.

I know he can do better. I know there are other members of this forum that have had difficult childhoods but participate in a manner consistent with the rules of this forum and with human interaction in general.

In the last year, I've been showing some very serious signs of illness. Including severe depression, suicidal thoughts and hallucinations - both auditory and visual. I'm on some very strong medication right now in fact which can affect my quality of life. I went to see a psychiatrist last week and I was given a diagnosis of a disorder (not schizophrenia or bipolar disorder) that can severely affect my personal interactions and relationships. It's not a good prognosis either, necessarily. My condition carries a high suicide rate and can change things permanently.

I know I can be very abrasive on here but I've never once tried to use my condition as an excuse for the way I interact with others. In fact, when I make a post on here that crosses the line I don't delete that post or alter it because I know that it expresses a big part of me that sometimes I'm not proud of.

I'm not indicative or others, nor do I expect others to feel any sympathy or pity for me (I actively discourage it!) but the reason I take what Glen does so personally is that I know he can do so much better. He doesn't have to be like this. I suspect that Glen and I actually have the same condition so it's very personal to me.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:20 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is online now
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 21,125
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

I apologize to you Duncan if you feel I am on your case. I guess I just feel that you are bigger than that, more mature. But in light of the things you mentioned, perhaps there are other things at work that I don't understand. So for that I am sorry. I dig you man and I wish you all the best. I really don't know what to say about your conditions, except that I don't have the ability to fully understand how it affects how you feel things. I never thought of you as damaged goods, whatsoever. Quite the opposite. I think the only thing I really disagree with is that you think Glen can do better. I don't think he can, I think that this is as good as he can be, and I just accept it rather than try and alter it. I think he acts this way because it gets rises from people and that's what he craves, so therefore he will continue this behavior because he craves the negative responses he gets. Unless you can get him to not crave negative responses, tall order, there's no chance of changing him.

I guess I do defend Glen in a way that a brother would defend a mentally challenged sibling, nothing more.

BTW, just what is it that your avatar is supposed to be depicting?
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:31 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

No need to apologise Larry, you're not on my case at all. Just presenting a perfectly well-reasoned counterpoint. I just thought I would try to explain why I'm so disappointed in these interactions with Glen.

For all my miserly grumpiness, I do think that people can do better. Right now I know I can and I'm right in the middle of a very nasty episode. It's that hope and aspiration that sometimes keeps me going when I feel like just giving up - which happens a lot more than I care to admit. I know I'm not Glen and I can't speak for him (neither would he want me to, of course) but the attention-craving is all a huge part of what I suspect he suffers from. In my own life, it's damaged relationships with friends and family. Quite recently too, actually. I just hate to see it played out in public like this with Glen because it's not good for anyone.

The avatar is not a nice picture. I was in a bad place when I put that up. I'm not going to say what it is but it sums up my mindset most of the time. Look closely.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM
Mad About Drums's Avatar
Mad About Drums Mad About Drums is offline
Pollyanna's Agent
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Shropshire, UK
Posts: 6,227
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Member A :

Hey guys, this is my new drumkit, let me know what you think, personally I love that finishÖ itís the same as my favourite drummer :)

Member B :

I donít particularly like this finish, or this brand of drums for that matters, to have a kit thatís a Ďlookalikeí of you fav drummer is lacking personality IMO, but each to his own.

Member A :

Why did you bother replying in my thread with such negative comments, and insinuating I lack personalityÖ yours donít seem to be much better :(

Member B :

Iím only voicing an opinion, I donít like this finish, thatís all, your fav drummer has bad taste in drumís finish :) and my personality is just fine thank you.

Member A :

Not only youíre insulting me, but youíre insulting my fav drummer too, you definitely have a personality problem, please keep off my thread.

Member B :

Hey, cool down man, I didnít insult you or your fav drummer, I just said I didnít like the finish, no big deal, geez man, get over it!!! Öand I donít have any problem whatsoever, itís a public forum isnít it? Donít get so upset because I didnít like your kit

Member A :

You really like to stir it up!!!

Yes itís a public forum, were you expect members to respect other members, no going round insulting people for no reasons whatsoever, I really hate people like you, you ruined my thread, guys like you should be banned, if I was a mod I would have done it ages ago, youíll be gone, alongside your expensive drumkit, which look awful by the way, now for the last time, KEEP OFF MY THREAD!!!!

Member C :

Hey member A, Mr B only said he didnít like the finish, thereís no need to get so upset :)

Personaly, I like your new kit and the finish too, must sound terrific too :)

Member B :

Woaw man, youíre getting very personal here, I canít take such abuse from you, you really need to grow up man, and as far as insulting people, youíre the only one insulting somebody here, get a life man

Member A : (to member C)

Yeah, join the club, take his side!!! Ö what kind of people are you?!? Donít you have any decency or respect anymore?

Member A : (to member B)

You started it, you have insulted me and my fav drummer, and you keep posting in my thread with more insults, YOU need to get a life, not me

Member C : (to member A)

Geez A, whatís wrong with you? I said I like your kit no? thereís no need to insult me too, I was only trying to cool things down.

Member A :

Thatís it, I canít take it anymore, I reported member B to the mods, we will see whoís rightÖ




To be continuedÖ.
__________________
I'm Swissman
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Anon La Ply's Avatar
Anon La Ply Anon La Ply is offline
Renegade
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cyberspace
Posts: 5,512
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Duncan, I've pretty well said my piece via the PMs. If I can offer any hope, it's that I've found the bats in my belfry fly around a little less vigorously with age. The hardest times are when you need to retreat and life circumstances don't allow it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
To me it's like trying to learn...say the black page.....it's really hard, (as I'm led to believe) but should we abandon it because it's too difficult?
At times, yes. It's sometimes a matter of knowing your limitations, at other times we're wisest to cut your losses. Sometimes life presents you with a "wicked problem", for which there is so entirely satisfactory outcome.

BTW, Sticks at one stage had the username "Balto", which is only two syllables :)

LOL Henri - "Woaw man, you’re getting very personal here, I can’t take such abuse from you, you really need to grow up man, and as far as insulting people, you’re the only one insulting somebody here, get a life man" ... sounds a bit like our domestic politics.
__________________
Soundcloud
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:41 PM
BacteriumFendYoke's Avatar
BacteriumFendYoke BacteriumFendYoke is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Canterbury. The One With the Cathedral.
Posts: 6,351
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Thanks Grea. But this isn't about me in the end. I just want Glen to realise what he is capable of and I really think he's much better than this.
__________________
PEWFLADCC
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 PM
harryconway's Avatar
harryconway harryconway is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Pasadena, California, U.S.A.
Posts: 9,918
Default Re: I have a problem with different opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacteriumFendYoke View Post

He doesn't have to be like this. I suspect that Glen and I actually have the same condition so it's very personal to me.
And I agree. I've met a lot of people who have had "traumatic" things happen to them. As children. As adults. Been there, done that. 20 years ago, and now it's time to move forward. Glen could act better. Instead, he chooses not to. And uses his "bad childhood" as a "get out of jail card". He's been shown the door 5 times, before. And still came back. That's the working definition of insanity. Doing the same thing, over and over again, and expecting different results.
I've had him send his caustic, foul PM's to me, and he's beyond just damaged. He's 10 times worse, in his PM's, than he posts openly. He's manipulative, and he plays it to the hilt.
__________________
This seat does not recline as per Federal Aviation Regulation 121.310 (f)(3)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com