DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:52 AM
Platinum Member

Default Drum risers. Anyone used anything like this?

I'm thinking through some combo flight case & staging options, & considering using this system as part of an overall concept. Has anyone used this type of modular & portable staging? Is it sufficiently stable as a riser? It certainly looks the part.

Ignore the second half of the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0E08OKmPw
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum risers. Anyone used anything like this?

First time I've seen it, so can't help at all. Fabulous idea though. For the purposes of a good demo, I do wish he put it through its paces and load a bit of weight onto it....or jump around on it etc. Sadly the vid gives you no indication of what it's capable of......easy to see why you're interested in both the product and further reviews. I'm intrigued now myself.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
First time I've seen it, so can't help at all. Fabulous idea though. For the purposes of a good demo, I do wish he put it through its paces and load a bit of weight onto it....or jump around on it etc. Sadly the vid gives you no indication of what it's capable of......easy to see why you're interested in both the product and further reviews. I'm intrigued now myself.
Yes, it's pretty cool. I have seen a demo of a near identical system having a car driven onto it. So ok, that shows it's good in compression (I think the spec says 700Kg/sqM, so 80"s Sonor Phonic proof, lol), & I like the portability. It's made by a pro touring flightcase company, who also make lighting trusses, so they should be well aware of the game it's required to play.

I'm trying to get cute with this. I'm having a flight case made to hold my rack & all other hardware, as I now use ramps & wheels to move stuff around. This case will be quite long & tall, but slim. My idea is to match the width of the case (+ rubber feet) to the height of this staging, & use the case on it's side as the rear riser section. Andy's got his multitask design head on :)
Old 04-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

I have never seen one but I would think that thing might suffer some damage if set on uneven ground/stage - maybe a sheet of plywood to go under it if you played outside would be required as well as a handful of wood shims for regular gigs.

For Flat stages it lookslike a home run
Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 PM
Platinum Member

On the Derek Roddy website I've seen another riser system which might be interesting. Maybe it can serve as inspiration for doing something custom yourself (LEVEL = the company = do provide custom risers though.) Derek uses a LEVEL system for his main kit.

http://www.levelrack.com/

There's a video on that site giving you some idea of how fast this system can be assembled. LEVEL systems can have wheels to move the drumset to the desired spot on stage.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
On the Derek Roddy website I've seen another riser system which might be interesting. Maybe it can serve as inspiration for doing something custom yourself (LEVEL = the company = do provide custom risers though.) Derek uses a LEVEL system for his main kit.

There's a video on that site giving you some idea of how fast this system can be assembled. LEVEL systems can have wheels to move the drumset to the desired spot on stage.
That's a cool system, but it would mean me getting a lot of new (effectively dupilicate) rack parts, & I'm not liking the bass drum suspension idea at all. I run virgin bass drums, & the new gigging kit won't have conventional lugs to connect their special bracket to. For a single setup touring rig, & for most drums, it's great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
I have never seen one but I would think that thing might suffer some damage if set on uneven ground/stage - maybe a sheet of plywood to go under it if you played outside would be required as well as a handful of wood shims for regular gigs.

For Flat stages it lookslike a home run
Good point about level stages. This will never be used on grass, as all our outside gigs are staged, but we all know just how uneven some stages can be. I'm guessing the multi leg frame setup may be more accommodating of stage unevenness than fixed legs, especially as the frame seems to have a degree of settlement flex to it. Some searching questions to be posed of the manufacturer I think :)
Old 04-09-2012, 04:10 PM
Silver Member

I set up Derek Roddy's drums at The Big Beat last year, and he has a riser similar to that. I'll find out the company name who makes it, but it's really a cool thing. He even has plates for his rack and pedals that attach them to the riser from underneath since the riser is made from a gate-like material. Great concept!

*EDIT*

Didn't even notice that was mentioned... My mistake. lol

Last edited by ?uesto; 04-10-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post

I like the fact that the riser is on castors, be set up anywhere backstage and can be rolled into place and quickly rolled off stage. Nice for opening bands.
Old 04-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Gold Member

I built my own riser and it folds in half to become my trap case and its long enough that I dont break any hardware down, I just fold in the legs and the stands and high hat stand go in at full length will all accessories like cow bell, jam block and tamborine still attached.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I built my own riser and it folds in half to become my trap case and its long enough that I dont break any hardware down, I just fold in the legs and the stands and high hat stand go in at full length will all accessories like cow bell, jam block and tamborine still attached.
...got any pics? would love to see it
Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgun View Post
...got any pics? would love to see it
No im afraid not, There is a couple of the kit set up on it but none of it flipped over with all the hardware in it, next time I pack them up I will make sure to take a couple but it probably wont be too soon as I am just starting to put something together with a couple new guys and it will probably be a while before I need to move them. If I happen to do a complete cleaning in the mean time I will pack it up for some pics tho.

EDIT: finally got some pics taken and added to this thread.
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...58#post1049058

Last edited by tard; 09-21-2012 at 10:24 PM.