DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

Default Beater weight and effect on pedal board

If one has a very heavy beater will it make a person have to push the pedal board alot harder to get the beater to the head? I know that the height of the beater will change how heavy or light the pedal board will feel. But I'm asking the question with the thought that the beater height will be fairly standard.

Also, with the heavier beater once a person gets the pedal going will it make it easier to keep it going then with a light beater?
Old 04-09-2012, 02:56 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Beater weight and effect on pedal board

I was glad to see this thread as I am thinking of changeing my beater from the one that comes with the DW to an older type, full mallet. I see there are no responses so far so I will just say that Ithink once you make adjustments for distance, height and balance it should work out.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:54 PM

I just changed out my HUGE DW beater to a Gibralter light weight beater and wow the difference was crazy I love mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Gibraltar-SC-L.../dp/B0002F714G.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:01 PM

The more weight there is and the farther it from the rotational axis the more inertia and momentum you have to control. Too much and the beater wont be responsive and will keep moving and end up hitting your foot a lot probably. Too little and there isn't enough force on the drumhead to make the right boom. Personally I like the Iron cobra type beater with the adjustable weight it lets you find that sweet spot.
Old 04-09-2012, 06:32 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMC View Post
The more weight there is and the farther it from the rotational axis the more inertia and momentum you have to control. Too much and the beater wont be responsive and will keep moving and end up hitting your foot a lot probably. Too little and there isn't enough force on the drumhead to make the right boom. Personally I like the Iron cobra type beater with the adjustable weight it lets you find that sweet spot.
I will check that out before I make the change, my main complaint is that I just don't seem to like the flat style of beater; I was even thinking of a round wood type but just a regular one will suit me, just not a large one which is all I have seen for sale around these parts.

Cheers.