DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-04-2012, 05:27 AM

Default Gretsch Catalina Club Rock Tom Mount Question

[b]i have a Gretsch catalina club rock 4piece kit. it has the high tom that mounts on a cymbal stand. i hate the mounting system, i'd prefer it to be on top of the Bass drum. my question is, does anyone know if i can buy a mount and put it on the bass drum myself. i have looked on the gretsch website for a bass drum mount but did not see one. i am a machinists and could drill and mount it myself. anyone ever heard of someone doing that. thanks for reading, Motley
Old 02-04-2012, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina Club Rock Tom Mount Question

I think the Gibraltar folks provide Gretsch with hardware, now. You need to measure the downtube that the aux. clamp grabs onto. My guess would be it's a 7/8". And, if that's the case, and the pipe is long enough, then it'll slip right into this piece, which mounts onto your kick. http://www.gibraltarhardware.com/ind...d=470&pid=1609 Maybe not the cleanest looking way to go ... but in keeping with Gibraltar unity ... that's what they have.
Personally, I like Yamaha hardware better ... and again, the downtube on the tom arm is 7/8". So the tube you have now, will probably fit the Yamaha tri-head (pictured). The Yamaha tri-head tube fits into this unit http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-Bass-...#ht_1510wt_952 (sorry, couldn't find a good picture of one to download).
You could also shop for any other makers hardware. It's really just about drilling holes (in the right places) ... and making sure pipes and hole sizes are compatable.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Platinum Member

I just got the same kit with 26" kick and the rack tom hangs ona gibraltar stand from teh floor that is just barely long enough to get it up over the kick. I tried a couple snare stands I had but neither was tall enough to get the tom up to where I wanted it.

Looking at old pics of Bonham (only one I could think of with huge kick)- his rack is just way off to teh side of the kick so I am just going to try that. Have you? Is this why you want to mount it on the kick? Seems like it will be way high if your kick is 26.

I wish my floor standing rack were taller by 6" is all. Popular opinion is that less stuff screwed to the kick is better for the sound also (so I hear).
Old 02-04-2012, 09:41 PM

thanks harry for the pics and the link. i'm gonna go ahead and get the single hole yamaha mount plate. its $43.00 where i did find a gretsch, its $75.00. the math says go with the yamaha......toolate i just don't care for the style of the high tom being on a stand, it does'nt feel right to me. i'll have more room if i put the tom on top of the bass. Motley out
Old 02-04-2012, 10:39 PM
Platinum Member

Only thing to watch out for is the height of the stand if your kick is large. I agree that it is way far from rack to floors on the snare stand. Working on this myself.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Silver Member

You could try one of the rail consolette mounts to get the rack tom a little lower than a standard top-of-drum moun would allow.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:06 AM
Platinum Member

I like the modern version of the classic rail mount.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibralta...ource=4WWRWXGB
Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley View Post
thanks harry for the pics and the link. i'm gonna go ahead and get the single hole yamaha mount plate. its $43.00
This is my Yamaha Recording Custom ... stock location for the bass flange, with the triple head, and a Yamaha tom arm. You could always mount the flange further back, or further forward ... if you need to. Since you're drilling the holes, it's your decision, not the factories.
Attached Images