DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 AM
SickRick

Default Re: The ultimate bar band kit !

The Whitney is just great. Just checked their website.... These things are sweet. They sound sweet, they look sweet and they pack up super duper sweet.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Is that the Whitney?
Yes Pol. I love the look of the Whitney drums too, although I prefer the sound of the Radial Pros. The Whitney sound delivery is a bit muted for me. Nice full buttery sound, so great for near field recording. A perfect lounge kit. Come to think of it, a perfect Polly kit!

KIS is off sky diving this morning, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 02-04-2012, 05:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Well, you just never know :) If y'all really look into the detail of this thread, there's a few little hints tucked away in there.

As for explaining the Radial Bridge principal, I'll leave that for Tard, but like many very simple concepts, it really works. It's the looks that killed the Radial Pro kits commercially, not the sound. When they were released over a decade ago, they were sonically way ahead of their time, & in a different league to anything else at the time. Truth is, they still are :)
Come on Andy show us that pic of the prototypes, at least that sweet pic of the bass drum. ..lol, Pretty please...lol

BTW I believe it was a disagreement between Steven and Hartley over a few design and construction features that sent the radials into a tail spin. They certainly could have done with out the imported 501 and 751 imo and stuck to the USA built 500, 750 and 1000 series. They were just starting to be accepted when construction ceased. I mean Whitney sells enough to keep the doors open even without the endorsees and ad campaigns that Peavey had available, I am sure Peavey could have too or even down sized to just the 1000 series being a custom built drum line.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Come on Andy show us that pic of the prototypes, at least that sweet pic of the bass drum. ..lol, Pretty please...lol

BTW I believe it was a disagreement between Steven and Hartley over a few design and construction features that sent the radials into a tail spin. They certainly could have done with out the imported 501 and 751 imo and stuck to the USA built 500, 750 and 1000 series. They were just starting to be accepted when construction ceased. I mean Whitney sells enough to keep the doors open even without the endorsees and ad campaigns that Peavey had available, I am sure Peavey could have too or even down sized to just the 1000 series being a custom built drum line.
Ok, as you asked nicely, here's the "bird cages" ;)

You're right, there was an argument between Steven & Hartley, mainly over the use of suspension mountings, but I still believe the aesthetic held it back badly from greater acceptance. Pity really, but most musicians have a perfect instrument inprinted on their minds, & tend not to deviate too much from it, irrespective of the sonic advantages. Shame, as it stifles innovation & rewards expensive advertising programs + reliance on annual cosmetic revamps.
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Is that the Whitney?

IMO the Peavey has a bit of a Jetsons / steampunk vibe.
Ahahaha, so true!
:-)
Old 02-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
But what exactly is a radial drum? And how does this work? I've only played the Peavey and Whitney kits once and haven't really checked out the construction behind it. Could you explain the concept to me a little?
I will do my best: As for the snares their is really no special secret there they are just thick segmented construction the difference is with the lug inserts it allows them to have the thick wood external instead of internal allowing a 14" to still be 14" inside and keep the fat sound. EX: a regular 14" lugged snare with say a 20 ply shell is really only 12" if measured by the remaining air space inside the drum.
The big design difference with the radials is the toms, they have a radial bridge at each end of the shell made from segmented maple which gives a solid area to mount the head and suspension mounts which removes all the stress and strain from the shell, allowing it resonate completely free of any coloration of the sound by holes, metal lugs, mounts, etc plus with no holes and nothing mounted to the shell itself they were able to use a much thinner shell that would not support lugs and mounts on a conventional set up. This design allowed for a much more warm and resonant drum but with no unwanted odd harmonic overtones due to the fact there are no metal lugs to distort the vibrations of the wood shell. With a conventional lugged drum no 2 lugs are identical and when the vibrations pass thru them they not only color the sound because they are metal they also distort the sound a little different on each one causing odd harmonic overtones which is why high quality lugs on a conventional drum sound much better than cheap ones due to the inconsistencies of each lug being much less. I am sure I forgot some stuff but thats pretty much the big and small of the design, for more design info to see some of the scientific findings they measured with oscilloscopes you can check it out at:
http://www.peaveydrums.moonfruit.com/
Also an owners group on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/22647984016/

Last edited by tard; 02-04-2012 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:07 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Ok, as you asked nicely, here's the "bird cages" ;)

I only got two words for those drums, the first I cant say on here and the second is SWEET!!...lol
Old 02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

@ Tard

Do you use studio X heads on your toms? If so, how do they sound? Aren't they a bit too "dead" sounding? What's the counterpart of these heads from other head brands?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Tard's going to do for Radial Bridge's what Sticks did for Mapex.
Tard, exactly how thin are the PRB shells?
Old 02-04-2012, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member

I think Duplex was building snare drums like the Peavy design in the 30's.Google the Duplex Spirit of St. Louis model.The same, if not very close in design.

More OT though,Andy...you are a barrel of laughs.We should get together some day,ansd have a keg party.:) Cheers mate.

Steve B
Old 02-04-2012, 10:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Hilarious!

First, that Guru kit looks awesome, Andy. *If* the bird cages went against what I perceive as the right look for drums, they are trumped by how sweet those hoops look, how awesome the concept of the suspension is, by how remarkable they sounded on the youtube clip you sent out and just how rich that wood color is. I'd own them proudly.

I remember a million years ago (feels like mid to late 90's but I could be wrong) that the local small drum shop had a peavey kit on display. I liked how it looked. I didn't know what to look for drums very much then so I had the drum guy play them and they sound ridiculous. I literally can still hear the bass drum in my head. Now that sound's imprinting on my brain might be due to my inexperience at the time or how good of a drummer the drum dude was, but I can say that I've never remembered another bass drum sound other than that one.

So, tard, I say awesome kit. I think the blue color is pretty sweet. Man I love this forum.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post

More OT though,Andy...you are a barrel of laughs.We should get together some day,ansd have a keg party.:) Cheers mate.

Steve B
Steve, I would so much like that to happen, really :)

Boombaby, thanks for the props. I'm wishing you well with your new tubs when they arrive.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Gold Member

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
@ Tard

Do you use studio X heads on your toms? If so, how do they sound? Aren't they a bit too "dead" sounding? What's the counterpart of these heads from other head brands?
Yes studio x over classic clear on toms and coated studio x on snares. Being a single ply I never found the studio x to be dead at all. I find all the x ring does on any drum, radial or otherwise is take away a bit of the higher frequencies and allow it to decay just a bit faster, unlike 2 ply heads that I do consider to be dead sounding. Plus if you do find a studio x too controlled, just peel off the ring and you got a classic clear. I also use sk1 and regulator on the bass drum which was what the came with and although I have tried many other combos nothing quite give the same sound and feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Tard, exactly how thin are the PRB shells?
The tom shells are 3 ply and 2.2 mil thick, the kick is 5 ply and 3.3mil thick and the all maple segmented snares are 1 3/4" thick.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickRick View Post
The Whitney is just great. Just checked their website.... These things are sweet. They sound sweet, they look sweet and they pack up super duper sweet.
Lutz, how do you mean "pack up sweet"? Because they're smooth?

Quote:
Yes Pol. I love the look of the Whitney drums too, although I prefer the sound of the Radial Pros. The Whitney sound delivery is a bit muted for me. Nice full buttery sound, so great for near field recording. A perfect lounge kit. Come to think of it, a perfect Polly kit!

KIS is off sky diving this morning, brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Now if I had a band that justified the expense ...

Skydiving. eh? Fill us in afterwards :) An old band played an outdoors gig at a drop zone for a skydiving club. We were offered free buddy jumps before playing but I turned it down because it was already freezing (my hands just about fell off that gig) and I couldn't imagine how cold it would be up there ...
Old 02-04-2012, 10:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Skydiving. eh? Fill us in afterwards :)
Called off due to snow between 3,000 & 5,000ft after standing around for two hours waiting for our lift slot :(

& Pol, you are enough justification for the expense. The band doesn't figure in your pleasure return equation.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Lutz, how do you mean "pack up sweet"? Because they're smooth?
No, I think he meant because the ends come off and they all nest inside each other and you only need a case for the biggest one. I cant say for sure as I have never had a set but have been told they its really really heavy once all packed up to go.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Called off due to snow between 3,000 & 5,000ft after standing around for two hours waiting for our lift slot :(

& Pol, you are enough justification for the expense. The band doesn't figure in your pleasure return equation.
Shame about the snow! Can't imagine how cold it would have been if you went ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
No, I think he meant because the ends come off and they all nest inside each other and you only need a case for the biggest one. I cant say for sure as I have never had a set but have been told they its really really heavy once all packed up to go.
Ta Tard. I can imagine you'd need a case with wheels, looking at those chunky wooden drums and hoops ... but then there's stairs ...

Ironic. A kit that sounds "loungey" but is most suitable for pros with a crew ... or bodybuilders :)