DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 AM

Default improving my repertiore

Being young and naive with an ambition of becoming a successful drummer I need to know what songs are commonly used in gigs.

now to elaborate on that I mean: in your experience whats the most common song(s) that you first jam to with a new cover band?

I have pretty much no experience in the world of gigging so I'm always open for some extra advice to :)

Youtube [Mason Rogers] for my previews
Old 02-02-2012, 03:25 PM

Default Re: improving my repertiore

Depends on the exact band and area, play things people in your area know, the go to is usually classic rock, learn a few beatles, doors, zepp, etc. But mix in some other decades too so you have some breadth do some 80s 90s and modern songs as well, it really depends on your exact situation but that would be my advice.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:35 PM
Platinum Member

Two things:
- The best way to find out is to go out and hear some bands- particularly the ones you want to get called for. You can talk to the musicians and do your networking while you do your homework.
- There are a whole lot of standard tunes/songs, and learning enough of them to make a difference in advance is not really feasible- usually you learn them on the job. They're mostly easy enough to fake on the spot, and nobody in their right mind expects you to know them if you haven't worked before.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Platinum Member

Smoke on the Water.

Well, at least it used to be the song.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasonDdrummer View Post
Being young and naive with an ambition of becoming a successful drummer I need to know what songs are commonly used in gigs.

now to elaborate on that I mean: in your experience whats the most common song(s) that you first jam to with a new cover band?

I have pretty much no experience in the world of gigging so I'm always open for some extra advice to :)
this all depends on what style of music you are playing and what demographic you are playing to

Id say dont worry too much about these kind of things as far as what songs to know.......you will know them all eventually anyway

some advice I have to offer would be as follows:

just get out there and play

dont let inhibitions get in the way (<huge)

Ive always used the mantra of.....if I dont get out there and stay relevant 1000 other drummer will take my place......it keeps me hungry and keeps my family fed

the absolute best way to get in the game is to go fall on your face a few times....get up dust yourself off...and keep swinging

Ive made a living for nearly 20 years by doing nothing but playing drums....I have a nice home, cars, and now children ....we live a very good life

I credit it ALL to having the balls to make a fool of myself at times in the early years....that and networking during all those late nights

there is NO substitute for time and experience

go for it my man....and dont look back

...another little tid bit of advice

make a point to learn something from every drummer you meet along the way ....never be to proud to ask them what "that lick" was while they are packing up their gear

hang out where musicians hang......mingle....use your personality and be memorable......go to shows, clinics, local music shops, make sure they recognize your face from being "around"

exchange numbers with drummers and other musicians ...you never know when one of the drummers wont be able to make a gig ....and he just may call you

every gig matters.....be it live or studio

OH ....and read every Bo Eder post on this forum :)

Last edited by moontheloon; 02-02-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM
Platinum Member

There is no "standard" set list, as stated. Your band will hopefully come up with the list of songs they want to play, hopefully you will have some input, and there it is. Then you will have to decide if you're going to play the songs exactly as recorded or do something unique. If there's several versions of the song you may want to do a blend of them, or pick the most famous version (are we doing the Kinks version of "You Really Got Me", or Van Halen's, or the Kinks' version with a Van Halen-style guitar solo?)

If you have originals, all bets are off - try to do something musically that will appeal to people who came to hear the genre of music most of your covers fall under.

Finally, it's best to be familiar with, and able to play, many styles of music, as well as have at least passing familiarity with a good deal of popular music from many eras. Listening only to mid-90's punk-pop (for example) may be fun, and it may be your passion, but if that's all you listen to, you'll be less of an asset to a band for not having a wider musical vocabulary.
Old 02-05-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moontheloon View Post
this all depends on what style of music you are playing and what demographic you are playing to

Id say dont worry too much about these kind of things as far as what songs to know.......you will know them all eventually anyway

some advice I have to offer would be as follows:

just get out there and play

dont let inhibitions get in the way (<huge)

Ive always used the mantra of.....if I dont get out there and stay relevant 1000 other drummer will take my place......it keeps me hungry and keeps my family fed

the absolute best way to get in the game is to go fall on your face a few times....get up dust yourself off...and keep swinging

Ive made a living for nearly 20 years by doing nothing but playing drums....I have a nice home, cars, and now children ....we live a very good life

I credit it ALL to having the balls to make a fool of myself at times in the early years....that and networking during all those late nights

there is NO substitute for time and experience

go for it my man....and dont look back

...another little tid bit of advice

make a point to learn something from every drummer you meet along the way ....never be to proud to ask them what "that lick" was while they are packing up their gear

hang out where musicians hang......mingle....use your personality and be memorable......go to shows, clinics, local music shops, make sure they recognize your face from being "around"

exchange numbers with drummers and other musicians ...you never know when one of the drummers wont be able to make a gig ....and he just may call you

every gig matters.....be it live or studio

OH ....and read every Bo Eder post on this forum :)

Wow, talk about inspiriation!

This post single handedly makes me want to become the best drummer in the whole wide world!

Old 02-05-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post

Finally, it's best to be familiar with, and able to play, many styles of music, as well as have at least passing familiarity with a good deal of popular music from many eras. Listening only to mid-90's punk-pop (for example) may be fun, and it may be your passion, but if that's all you listen to, you'll be less of an asset to a band for not having a wider musical vocabulary.
This is something I really need to take into consideration right now so thanks for the reminder.

It all makes sence now , Thanks for putting it in such clear form.

Closed Thread