DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-31-2012, 10:25 PM

Default Effect of heat on drums

Hi, as luck would have it, I have bed bugs in my house and need the whole place heated. They said that the bugs could be living in my drum kit as I have a comforter in my bass drum, and I was wondering what should I expect if I leave my kit in the house during the heat treatment. They heat the house up 200 degrees (F) by the way. Will the heads shrink? Will my cymbals be alright? Am I going to have to end up replacing the kit? If you guys could answer these questions I would be most grateful.

EDIT: My mistake, not 200, but 132. Also, kit is a Pearl Vision Series SST Birch ply shells

Last edited by xKELLEM; 02-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Effect of heat on drums

Not sure exactly what it would do, but I know that is definitely not good for it. Why don't you just take out the comforter and get your drums out of there?
Old 01-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Gold Member

I definitely would get your cymbals out of there.

Depending on how long the heat treatment is, you will probably be ok. The first thing I see happening in your wrap warping if you have warped drums. I don't see you heads warping if they are off the drums, but just to be safe I'd take them off and out of the house. Bed bugs are nasty. Better safe than sorry.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:20 PM

Id take the cymbals out since they probably won't hold bed bugs I would guess. Second issue is the drums. If its a wrap, theirs a possibility of the wrap letting go. Heat doesnt hurt drums, it's the dryness that comes with heat. Rapid drying created by those temperatures could crack the wood of the drums. I'd look for some sort of alternative to clean the drums if their is. Issues might not even arise immediately but they could come later.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

i would NOT leave drums or cymbals in there! that sounds like too much heat for the shells; ping me to confirm w/ my shell / drum guy. there must be some spray you can treat the drums w/ later. i say take the heads off, clean the shells & hoops on your driveway & then store them offsite w/ the cymbals (out of the bag?) until this is over. leave the comforter, heads & cymbal bag in the heat. if it were me, i would consider the heads a loss if they are infested.

crazy this is also how they kill the grain bugs at quaker oats in Iowa...heat the whole concrete facility w/ those massive ovens.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:24 AM
Platinum Member

That kind of temperature may cause glue to melt,and your shells and wrap to delaminate.It may also affect the glue in the hoops of your drum heads.Leave the quilt behind and take the drums out of there.

Steve B
Old 02-01-2012, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double_G View Post
i would NOT leave drums or cymbals in there! that sounds like too much heat for the shells; ping me to confirm w/ my shell / drum guy. there must be some spray you can treat the drums w/ later. i say take the heads off, clean the shells & hoops on your driveway & then store them offsite w/ the cymbals (out of the bag?) until this is over. leave the comforter, heads & cymbal bag in the heat. if it were me, i would consider the heads a loss if they are infested.

crazy this is also how they kill the grain bugs at quaker oats in Iowa...heat the whole concrete facility w/ those massive ovens.
I will most likely go with this course of action. I'll take all the heads off, clean the shells, and leave the comforter/heads in the room when they treat it. Im 16 so keep in mind that although I have been playing drums for years though I do not know much about drums themselves other than the types of woods used for the shells. My mom said that we could replace the kit in worst case scenario and needs to stay during the treatment but I will definitely try to do this. If you could confirm with your drum guy that would be awesome.
Old 02-01-2012, 05:55 AM
audiotech

I have no idea who the manufacturer is who made your kit and what finish is on it, but there are some wraps that are attached to the drum shells with just double backed tape applied just at the seam of the wrap. I know that the Pearl MCX wraps were installed in this manner. You could tell by the hugh air bubbles between the wrap and the outside of the shells that would move with just finger pressure on brand new kits. I'm not quite sure about their Vision series of wrapped shells. There are probably other manufacturers that apply their wraps in this same fashion. I've also seen quite a few wrapped drums were their wrap became distorted because of being left in a vehicle for extended and not so extended lengths of time.

This is just one thing that came to my mind concerning the effects of prolonged heat.

Dennis
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Silver Member

from Dale at fortunedrums.com:

"hardware cym ok.

shells w/ wrap- not good. i think even 125 too hot for most wraps.

glass glitters series wraps have higher allowed temp- but 200 too high.

I'd worry about house wiring...... I guess they have that figured out. spray / bug bomb no good ?"
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by xKELLEM View Post
They heat the house up 200 degrees (F)
200 F = 94 C for those who are in degree centigrade :)

I'll say at this temperature, remove the drums from the house during the whole process, it's quite a high temperature and could possibly causes damage to the kit :(

Dependind on the altitude were you live, this could be boiling water temperature, or at least very near it, that has as to be a bad heat for most of you belonging in the house. :(

Last edited by Mad About Drums; 02-02-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:20 PM

i'd definitely take the drums and cymbals out. just doesn't sound like it could end well if you left them in there
Old 02-02-2012, 11:59 PM

Guys, I made a mistake. I found out today that they only heat the house up to 132 degrees F, not 200. I assumed 200 because of what I read online but that is not the case. The problem is though that they said I have to leave the kit where it is or else they cant guarantee the bugs will be gone. I can take the cymbals out though and they can deal with them some other that wont harm them, but my kit has to stay. My kit is a Pearl Vision Series with SST Birch ply shells.

Last edited by xKELLEM; 02-03-2012 at 12:47 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:05 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

That would be 55.5 C, it's much better :)

At this temperature I guess the drum will be OK :)
Old 02-03-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
That would be 55.5 C, it's much better :)

At this temperature I guess the drum will be OK :)
Good to hear (: Just in case though, I want to have a backup plan for a replacement kit. Other than Pearl Vision kits, what would be some good rock kits in the $1600 and under range? I figure 1. You guys here know what youre talking about and 2. I dont wanna spam the forums with another thread about this

Last edited by xKELLEM; 02-03-2012 at 01:56 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:41 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Worst case scenario, the drums would be covered under homeowners too I bet. Bummer about the bedbugs, it can happen to anyone. Your Mom is nice to offer a new kit too. I wouldn't want to do that to my Mom, unless they had cash to burn. Then I'd take full advantage of that offer lol.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Worst case scenario, the drums would be covered under homeowners too I bet. Bummer about the bedbugs, it can happen to anyone. Your Mom is nice to offer a new kit too. I wouldn't want to do that to my Mom, unless they had cash to burn. Then I'd take full advantage of that offer lol.
Also helps that I have a job too to help chip in haha