DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 PM
Gold Member

Default Drummers don't need music stands...

Okay my new band that has accepted me - warts and all - are a fantastic bunch of folks very good at what they do. I feel fortunate to be a part of their band and totally enjoy making music with them. We have our first gig mid March at a popular hangout.

We were rehearsing a song I only heard 3 weeks ago and we've played it all of 3 or 4 times. I'm still learning the song and how they want to play it. Hats and crossstick here, ride and snare there, bass drum only here, a break there....you get the idea. I've gotta write all this down and make notes, right?

To be honest, I haven't put forth the right amount of time learning it on my own. Memorizing it. My fault. I was in both high school and college marching bands and memorizing was something required - no music allowed on the field, so I'm used to memorizing songs.

I mess up a break and play right through.

They all stop and I get the usual amount of good natured ribbing for messing up. They then spot my music stand (I've always had it with me at every rehearsal), and freak out, saying I'm the only drummer they know who uses a music stand and to put my notes away and "just feel the music" and play because "the music stand is creeping us out". All this was done in a joking manner and all, but still.... Everyone else had THEIR stands in front of them. I wasn't mad, instead I laughed it off.

Has anyone run into this attitude besides me of other musicians fussing over the drummer's use of music, notes and stands? This seems rather odd someone would even care. Drummers are musicians who also need music on occasion to play well, right? Or am I supposed to confrom and spread the image of the drummer being a dumb knuckledragger who just hits things?

This just hit me as being funny in an odd sort of way....

Last edited by rogue_drummer; 01-31-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:47 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Drummers don't need music stands...

never heard of this

its absurd
Old 01-31-2012, 06:48 PM
Silver Member

When rehearsing, I always have a stand near me to write notes on. I'll sketch a groove I did to memorize it or write a fill down and where it should be played. It's important for drummers to treat themselves as musicians. I will say that many guitar players that I've met think that all drummers can do is hit a drum and are not TRUE musicians. It's a disgusting view of things.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:49 PM

That's ridiculous. You NEED a music stand or some decent alternative. I used to use on eat our old practice facility, but sincew we left, I been just keeping my notes on the floor. I am plkanning on getting a stand one of these days. I have always had one throughout middle school, high scholl, being in band and orchestra.....I am unsure why they're saying you dont need one. Sure, music is about the "feel", but you have to know where the changes,bridges, etc are!!! You probably don't need to write dowen actual traditional notation, although I used to..that's kinda pointless, as you prolly wouldn't follow note-for-note anyway. But at least the breaks and how many measures of whatever you need to do before the next verse....unless you know the song by heart. next time you practice, take their stands away......lol

Bottome line: Drums are an instrument like any other, and instruments require tools, such as a music stand.
Gibraltar
Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 PM
Platinum Member

The notes you take or the chart you use might be different from the other musicians, but the purpose is the same--to play the music from. They might not have ever dealt with a drummer who was musically adept enough to use a chart before.

If the guitarist gives obvious/good enough cues, maybe you don't need the music after all. I've played with people that were great at giving cues, just from the way they moved their heads/shoulders/guitars. If this is not the case for you, simply explain that you need a chart just like them to know the arrangement of the tune until you have it memorized. Simple as that.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM

So were they being serious or just joking? Are they those kind of people who don't understand that you can actually write out drum notation and not just randomly hit things? I guess just tell them to step off and that you are still learning the song. Maybe they thought that you will need to read the music even at a gig? I guess just try to tell them that once you get the song down you will get rid of it and start making the song your own.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Pioneer Member

I've never run into that problem but a friend of mine did a fill in for Lee Aaron back some years ago ( for those of you who've never heard of her, she 's a Canadian heavy metal singer awhile back ) and he used a music stand. They all kinda laughed and made fun of him because it was a metal gig and he used a stand. It was all in good fun though.
I really don't see a problem with it.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:57 PM

Geez, did I fat finger that post!!!!
Gibraltar
Old 01-31-2012, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

I use a music stand until I can play the music (and IMPROVISE WITHIN THE MUSIC) from memory. I always strive for that. I think if you are the only guy without a stand at a show it means you are the only guy who knows the music without needing sheets. Although, that means nothing.

If they are really prissy about it, alternatives are writing notes on your drum heads if they are coated, sticky notes on the drum shells/stands where you can see them, things like that.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:04 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
If they are really prissy about it, alternatives are writing notes on your drum heads if they are coated, sticky notes on the drum shells/stands where you can see them, things like that.
Good call. Sometimes I write a setlist on my snare head, as I'm sure a lot of guys do.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topgun2021 View Post
I use a music stand until I can play the music (and IMPROVISE WITHIN THE MUSIC) from memory. I always strive for that. I think if you are the only guy without a stand at a show it means you are the only guy who knows the music without needing sheets. Although, that means nothing.

on tour I always write set lists on the floor tom head

:)
Old 01-31-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Wait, they all have music stands, but are giving you a hard time?

wow....

If/when I have notes, I usually just put them on the floor next to my hi-hat stand. No one notices them that way.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

If they are "creeped out" by the drummer having a music stand, there are bigger issues. Sorry, guitar dudes, but drummers are musicians too, honest.

I find that my biggest issue with music stands (when I do see a need to use them, like in a musical pit) is where to put the darn thing. Often the conductor/bandleader wants me to set up facing him/her, and I think it's the best way to keep eye contact. However, then I would like to put the stand near the center of my setup to minimize head rotation. That's not always a winning combination.

Depending on the complexity of the music/score, or my familiarity with it, I may write abbreviated notes on a setlist, which then gets taped at eye level somewhere close. I have also been known to tape scores/music/setlists to the inside of isolation plexiglass.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:03 PM

There is NOTHING wrong with using a stand! I use one when I play at church. Sad to say, but I can't read music that well but I use the "lead sheets" that have the lyrics along with the drum set sheets so I can follow along and I am able to see when changes take place and the like. So having a stand for me is a great help.
Old 01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Platinum Member

I have a stand pretty much at all times with me.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 PM
Silver Member

There's only one SANE way to address this issue:

Bring two music stands to your next practice.
Old 01-31-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbang View Post
Good call. Sometimes I write a setlist on my snare head, as I'm sure a lot of guys do.
OMG, that's a great idea. Does it come off, though?
Gibraltar
Old 02-01-2012, 01:17 AM

I frequently use notes and charts to guide me through new songs. Most professional drummers do the same thing. There is nothing wrong or unusual about it. I just started using my iPad more, but it's essentially the same thing.

http://punchdrunkmonday.com

Old 02-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterZero View Post
OMG, that's a great idea. Does it come off, though?
Most guys that play seriously enough with bands to have set lists change their heads after almost every show. That or they just write it on another part of the head or on another drums head.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:45 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
Most guys that play seriously enough with bands to have set lists change their heads after almost every show.
Really.

huh.

seems like an awful waste
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

Never used one. At times I've felt it would be handy, especially when I've done fill-ins. In some songs I've kept notes on the floor tom. I've always kept set lists on the floor near the kit or, if it's a tight squeeze, taped to a nearby speaker or wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post

Perfect! :) If you have half a dozen, that would be better still ... the more the merrier.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:07 AM
Platinum Member

The collective freak out is what struck me as odd. Regardless of the situation I may be walking into, I carry my own music stand. I may or may not need it, it's just unprofessional to not be prepared.

You need it. I don't see what the problem is. Maybe their last drummer couldn't read at all? Maybe he couldn't read English....
Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM

When had my 60's Slingerland Kit refurbished I got a small perspex A5 size stand built onto the bass drum, in the same place you'd normally put a cowbell. Very handy, even if it's just to put a setlist on. The idea came from noticing Max Weinberg has a digital appliance of some sort mounted on his bass drum, so I've nicknamed it The Weinberg Stand.

One of these days I'll get organizized and get some pictures up.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:53 AM
Platinum Member

I think I know more guitarists that can't read music than drummers.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
audiotech

Music stands are a necessary evil for me. My biggest problem is getting them close enough.

Dennis
Old 02-01-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:

I agree. Usually, it's best to have one stand per song, with the stands surrounding your kit. Preparation is everything, right?

In all seriousness, bring a stand; you're a musician. If that's not cool, demand that they all play without their music as well.
Old 02-01-2012, 01:53 PM
Gold Member

I really need a mac book pro stand. Then when the geetarist messes up you can check your email. Or dial in the correct version of the song to pi$$ off your bandmates.

Music stands? You guys are so 20th Century.

Erm, I use the kick drum as well for set-lists usually with bpm notes : )

Davo
Old 02-01-2012, 02:15 PM

I used to get ribbed for this in rehersal sometimes too, and the guys would always ask; 'What are you reading?'

For the following rehersal I put up a sheet that said 'These guys are shit' on the back. Needless to say they didnt ask again.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Gold Member

I keep a music stand up with my practice set. I bought it right after I got my cymbals so it was the last piece of "gear" that completed my set. I see it as a measure of being serious with your craft.

Wear a suit and tie at your next rehearsal, along with your music stand. That will freak them out.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:04 PM

Plenty of replies on the music stand, most of which I agree with so I'll leave that part alone. But about breaks on new tunes, I,ve always try to work with the guitar or bass player on them asking for a queue. A simple nod the first few times from them makes all the difference.
Old 02-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Gold Member

Depending on what band I was in I have sang anywhere from just a few to mostly all of the songs per night and have always used a stand at practice and at the gig just for safety sake. Most times its not needed but every once and a while I would need the first word of a line to jar my memory plus I can write changes and or stops, etc, right on the lyrics sheet as well as have the set list handy. I have a short blue one about the same color as my kit and its below the toms and between the snare and high hats. I can see it fine when I need to and just within reach to turn pages but most people dont even notice it and even one band member asked me one night after being together for 6 or 8 months why I brought the stand this particular night, I said I always do you just never noticed it before...lol

Old 02-01-2012, 07:37 PM
Gold Member

From what I can gather, this duo tried to play with the guitarist's drummer in his metal band and it didnt' work one bit. Possibly that guy couldn't read music or never used a stand, but just wailed away. Not sure. I only heard Monday the guitarist quit his metal band because he'd had enough. THAT band played the "classic" metal - AC/DC, etc. So he's now concentrating all his efforts on the duo and this current new band we're in, so I'm believing both the guitar player and singer are taking this band seriously. I sure hope so, because I am. Ha!

Even if I don't have music, only chord charts with lyrics, or nothing at all, I STILL prefer to have my music stand with me to jot notes down, etc. When I've learned the songs, then I compile a list of the songs on the set list(s) and even then have maybe one or two word hints of what to do on each song. If I'm in a cramped space then I either attach it to a wall or tape to a speaker, or have it on the floor or taped to my bass drum. Having learned the song, THEN I feel comfortable add libbing as we go or taking some amout of leeway to change how I play.

I mean, you do 4 one hour sets and your mind sorta blurs stuff together, right? There's not a thing wrong with drummers using music stands. The folks in this band will have to get used to the idea of me using a stand and bringing a more professional attitude into the mix from their past drummers. LOL
Old 02-01-2012, 08:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

haha...best answer in this thread.

Old 02-01-2012, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Ditto that! Best advice!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Depending on what band I was in I have sang anywhere from just a few to mostly all of the songs per night and have always used a stand at practice and at the gig just for safety sake. Most times its not needed but every once and a while I would need the first word of a line to jar my memory plus I can write changes and or stops, etc, right on the lyrics sheet as well as have the set list handy. I have a short blue one about the same color as my kit and its below the toms and between the snare and high hats. I can see it fine when I need to and just within reach to turn pages but most people dont even notice it and even one band member asked me one night after being together for 6 or 8 months why I brought the stand this particular night, I said I always do you just never noticed it before...lol

Off topic, sorry, but I have to ask, what the heck is that blue fluffy stuff on your shells?, or or the shells made out of some crazy material? serious question... ????
Old 02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustyone View Post
Off topic, sorry, but I have to ask, what the heck is that blue fluffy stuff on your shells?, or or the shells made out of some crazy material? serious question... ????
Not sure what your referring to as fluffy but they are all just maple with a transparent blue lacquer on them so you still see the wood grain. The snares and the bridges on the toms and kick are segmented construction so you see the grain at different angles on each section.

Last edited by tard; 02-01-2012 at 10:45 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member

He must have stolen that set from the smurfs, lol!
Old 02-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
Perfect! :) If you have half a dozen, that would be better still ... the more the merrier.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam! View Post
I agree. Usually, it's best to have one stand per song, with the stands surrounding your kit. Preparation is everything, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumEatDrum View Post
haha...best answer in this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_drummer View Post
Ditto that! Best advice!
I think we have a final result ...
Old 02-01-2012, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Not sure what your referring to as fluffy but they are all just maple with a transparent blue lacquer on them so you still see the wood grain. The snares and the bridges on the toms and kick are segmented construction so you see the grain at different angles on each section.

By "fluffy" stuff I mean the blue donut ring type things that the lugs get threaded into. The toms have two and it looks like the snare has one wide one. Never seen these things before. They are more clear in the second set of pictures you posted though. "fluffy" was a poor choice of adjectives... :)

OK, Nevermind, I searched peavey drums and got my answers. Never saw those before. thanks.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by krustyone View Post
By "fluffy" stuff I mean the blue donut ring type things that the lugs get threaded into. The toms have two and it looks like the snare has one wide one. Never seen these things before. They are more clear in the second set of pictures you posted though. "fluffy" was a poor choice of adjectives... :)

OK, Nevermind, I searched peavey drums and got my answers. Never saw those before. thanks.
The toms have maple bridges on each end of the shell but the snares are 1 3/4" thick solid maple. Heres a pic of a koa wood one that was made for Alex Van Halen and later owned by Matt Sorum from G&R. A friend of my just picked it up and sent me a couple pics. If you even wondered what snare was used in Van Halen's "Dont tell me what love can do" thats the one right there.

A custom company in the USA will soon be releasing a similar design as well as a couple of the big name manufactures and Guru's new prototype drums in the pic below are also quite similar.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program all ready in progress...lol

Last edited by tard; 02-02-2012 at 12:42 AM.